Page 591 of 591 FirstFirst ... 91 491 541 581 587 588 589 590 591
Results 11,801 to 11,816 of 11816

Thread: Animetoid - Firion's Waifu Simulator

So this has been praised a lot as one of the best voice acting clips in a while, and after rewatching it it is pretty impressive, that emotion. Done in one take too from what I heard. Its also a bit of a meta scene for the viewers of the show. Oh and mild spoilers, not that anyone cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Sy View Post
    Latest episode of Korra. Aw wut, a recap episode? Haven't seen one of those in a while. Not exactly thrilled about it. Suddenly got reminded of how much relationship crap there was in the earlier half of the show. I understand why some people were off-putted by it and in turn, the show as a whole.

Lol. The brown girl said "you're so sweet" to the other girl. And Tumblr goes wild.

The Bolin-Varek part was nice though. Saving grace of the episode.
    Apparently they did the clip show because Nick cut their budget (again), so it was a choice between them doing a clip show or laying off a bunch of their staff.

Considering that was the situation, I think they actually made the best of it. It was a chance for the characters to do some self-reflection, and a little subtle self deprecating humour from the writers with Varrick's story. I burst out laughing at that phone call sequence.

That said, I haven't really been digging this series as a whole so much. I feel like the show has kind of run out of its license to the benefit of the doubt, and I think Kuvira is by far the worst antagonist out of anything in Avatar. She's pretty shit, and everything that the antagonists of Avatar usually do so well at avoiding.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    She was kind of promising at the start. Like with some of the past antagonists, she does have a good point with some of her motives. But alas, they once again have that thing that tends to happen in shows for kids/teens where they feel a need to dumb things down a bit for the younger audience and add some bits to make it very clear that this person is the bad guy of the story. "Let's destroy the environment to make a superweapon!"

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    I think this is easily the best series yet. Kuvira is a great villain too, and as Luna pointed out, she doesn't have any problem that any prior Avatar protagonist didn't have, but this season has shined more in it's deliberate pace, which has slowed things down in favor of an introspective maturity never really present in even some of the entire franchises best moments.

Nah Kuvira sucks. She doesn't stand for anything. She has not philosophy or worldview to empathise with. She's nothing but a stereotypical megalomaniac. She's a complete hypocrite too. At the beginning she does that speech where she denounces the idea of royalty having the sovereignty to rule simply by being royalty, and then immediately after effectively declares herself empress.

All of the other antagonists in Korra had something they stood for. They had depth, and you could empathise with them and see that they even had a few good points to make. In the end it usually devolved in to just having the good guys beat up the bad guys, but they at least threw some interesting ideas in there and explored them in some depth. There's none of that with Kuvira.

LOL, you haven't been paying attention at all.

Yes I have. They haven't explored any of the few topics they could potentially be around her. Not in any way that hasn't been done loads of times better by other shows etc.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I have no idea what's goin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrustle View Post
    Yes I have. They haven't explored any of the few topics they could potentially be around her. Not in any way that hasn't been done loads of times better by other shows etc.
    Kuvira's arc is far more subtle. She isn't trying to destroy the world or plunge it into anarchy(which has essentially been the similar motive of the last two antagonists), she wanted to usurp the king. But instead of doing it with flashy fight scenes, she just steadily stripped the King of his power by getting all the states to swear sovernigity to her.

This is a theme often repeated in history, like when Bollingbroke usurped King Richard II, he didn't do some bloody siege. Up until the point where Richard was forced to hand the crown over, Bollingbroke always insisted that he didn't want the crown. His words said, "I don't want the crown", his actions were, "I have you surrounded by 5,000 men who would all love to kill you if you don't cooperate."

That's essentially been Kuvira's stance. She has been much smarter than any prior antagonist because she didn't call attention to herself in a way where she needed to be opposed, and by the time she finally did, it was too late, she had the power. As for her goals? It's not like it's exactly uncommon for progressive minded leaders to destroy the environment in favor of sped up industrialization. Yeah, it makes her look evil because the trees she's chopping down are "spirit trees", but she's still very much an antagonist with a point of view you can sympathize with.

That's why moments like her and Korra have a conversation of their opposing viewpoints is so awesome to watch, because even Korra has to admit that Kuvira is right in some aspects and that was never the case with any other antagonist in the franchise history.

[Level 5: Mech]
    What Gatsby said.

Personally, I want Toph to wreck shit now that they are on her turf.

Yeah, you know they're building up to some Iroh esque moment where she's gonna beat Kuvira in two hits and call her tinkle toes.

Just caught up on Psycho-Pass. They finally got a big break in the case, things are starting to rev up pretty hard now. Also, I like how they teased Kougami this whole episode. Hopefully we'll see what he has been up to this week.

Being Kaumi, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    Being Kaumi, duh.
    That thought ran through my mind last night. I don't think so, though.

I've been thinking it since the first episode. Plus, in episode 6, Akane imagined Togane as Kougami and then the literal next shot revealed a facial scar on Kaumi, indicating a facial transplant. This guy is clearly somebody else, but who?

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Spoiler!

DUN DUN DUUUUUUN