Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Aliens: Colonial Marines

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    You guys are experiencing the fanboy effect that washes over your better judgements and blinds you to how much of a horrible game you're playing when interacting with licensed products. Dont worry, it happens to all of us, myself included. Those Dynasty Warriors: Gundam achievements that I have are the ones that I'm most ashamed of.
    That's nothing to be ashamed of though. It's ok to like unpopular games. I enjoy playing Thor on 360 because my bloodline goes back to Norway and I can appreciate the concept of mythology as pop culture. It's like giving a Jewish kid a game with Jesus in it, except we Aryans don't murder our gods.

Pwnd
    No, you should definitely care about the judgements of other people. If I learned anything from life, it is this.

Pwnd
    I care about the judgments of people who matter. The others, I just have fun with.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus View Post
    So this is a middle of the road game made slightly above average by a decent-to-good use of the license, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konnery View Post
    Or the opposite. I have a feeling that a lot of the overtly negative scores are based off a hyped up fanboy gland where anything but the utmost perfection for the Aliens IP would be shat all over. That's basically what the majority read as.
    I agree that it's not the worst game ever, like some of the reviews have made it sound; but at the same time I think most of the scores are justified - it's a pretty sloppily made, kind of boring game with a stack of bugs and inconsistencies. While 2.5 is far too low in my opinion, around 4-6 is fair given what I've played so far. This game feels about as broken to me as Resident Evil 6.

And while I agree that part of the reason for all the venom is the IP - if it was just a new IP it would just have been forgotten right away, the fact is that somebody somewhere in Sega/Gearbox decided that they could make a game and it'd sell well in part because it was linked to the IP, so I don't think it's unfair that people had high expectations for the game. And it's not like nobody's done a decent Aliens game before, so it's not like they can make the excuse that it's impossible to make a good Aliens game.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    It's not the worst game ever it's just it isn't doing much new or different, certainly not in looks. The lag on co-op is the only thing that's really dragging it down for me and the fact that they couldn't introduce something extra when you play co-op. Instead of the same scripted character movements of each player.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    The graphics don't look that bad as many "graphic whores" claim, the mechanics of the gameplay are just broken and the AI must be one of the worst I've ever seen in a videogame, at least it's one that I can clearly see it's faults and one that annoys me

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    The facial animations and variety are pretty shoddy though. You play as Ray Liotta and Bishop could be more defined.

THE MR.E BIRD
    I would like somebody to compare it to the DOOM 3 HD rerelease.

Pwnd
    Yo, this shit reminds me of DOOM 3 on the Microsoft Xbox 360 home entertainment console.

THE MR.E BIRD
    One is amused.

Beast Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    I agree that it's not the worst game ever, like some of the reviews have made it sound; but at the same time I think most of the scores are justified - it's a pretty sloppily made, kind of boring game with a stack of bugs and inconsistencies. While 2.5 is far too low in my opinion, around 4-6 is fair given what I've played so far. This game feels about as broken to me as Resident Evil 6.

And while I agree that part of the reason for all the venom is the IP - if it was just a new IP it would just have been forgotten right away, the fact is that somebody somewhere in Sega/Gearbox decided that they could make a game and it'd sell well in part because it was linked to the IP, so I don't think it's unfair that people had high expectations for the game. And it's not like nobody's done a decent Aliens game before, so it's not like they can make the excuse that it's impossible to make a good Aliens game.
    Yeah, it's a mediocre game given a slight lift by the license.

The biggest disappointment would be that this has been in development for all this time and all they could muster is what seems like a rush job. All the delays and cancellations of Aliens games, and this is what trickles through the finish line. An average FPS.

I'm liking it well enough though, it definitely could and should have been more.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    It generally sounds like Colonial Marines is a game i'll hop on when Steam Sale season comes around.

Beast Master
    Sounds like a decent plan.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I'm hoping the game can be improved a but through patches.

I mean I know they can't fix the story or anything but maybe they can improve the AI and textures and whatnot.

Hopefully they release some decent DLC as well, maybe even some single-player content.

Hopefully.

One of the devs (apparently) has said that they're hoping to improve the story through DLC. Might make it atleast a bit more fun to play in co-op.

Honkey Kong
    Yes yes fanboys give us more monies to get the real story.

Still responds to BLOO
    I'll wait for the game to hit the bargain garbage bin.

Honkey Kong
    I'll probably Gamefly two years after the fact like I did with AvP and not be surprised at how bad it is, just like AvP.

Beast Master
    More than I'll do for Blops.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    I think my biggest issue with every Alien/AvP game I've ever played is that the gunplay is so unsatisfying. I haven't played CM yet (?), but based on the videos I've seen it looks like you just aim your gun in the general direction of a Xeno and wait for it to fall over, same as it was with AvP (and even the better, older AvP games). Where's the damn feedback? When I shoot a motherfucker I want to feel like I'm shooting a motherfucker; in these games, I never know when I'm doing any damage.

Fix that and at least the battle portions would be tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfee_mcgee View Post
    And maybe the AI, too.