Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Aliens: Colonial Marines

SINGLEPLAYER.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    I hope there's single player at EG!! Though we all know I'm going to get this game regardless.

I'm interested, but after how bad AvP turned out I'm holding off buying it till I see reviews. I know that was nothing to do with Gearbox but I don't want to buy another game that bad just based off the franchise history.

This thread is older than my account.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Probably made back when two Alien games were announced but got canned/delayed.

I know this isn't Colonial Marines but fuck you, this is awesome.

Guess I've got a reason to hold onto Crysis 2 now.

New story trailer. I have to say that looks a lot more interesting than what's been shown so far, like the look of the characters aswell.

Beast Master
    Looking good. I like the little self-customized touches the marines have on their armor, calling back how the actors playing marines in Aliens did up theirs.

Little touches make the fanboy in me happy.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    I'm getting it, even if I'm a little torn by what I've seen over the years.

The story seems really hokey and reminds me of that Calvin & Hobbes comic where Calvin pretends a family drive off a cliff, realises he's talked his adventure into a corner, so he sends another family out to look for them (only for them to drive off the cliff, too). Still, I just want an Aliens game that looks like the movie and without the Predators showing up as mini-bosses.

Beast Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    Still, I just want an Aliens game that looks like the movie and without the Predators showing up as mini-bosses.
    I got a bit apprehensive when I read that Weyland-Yutani goons would be enemies as well. I hope it doesn't devolve into a lot of firefights with armed enemies. Keep that shit to a minimum, there are tons of games where you do that.

I think I'd prefer a decent AvP game a la AvP2, to just an Aliens game, but aslong as the atmosphere and gameplay is decent I think this'll be fun. I always quite liked the WY goons/synthetic sections and the predator bits.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus View Post
    I got a bit apprehensive when I read that Weyland-Yutani goons would be enemies as well. I hope it doesn't devolve into a lot of firefights with armed enemies. Keep that shit to a minimum, there are tons of games where you do that.
    The bits I've seen with the WY mercs is pretty much your standard FPS. I always hate it when they bring in WY, though. Making WY the bad guys, again, feels a bit tiresome. Yeah, they had a shady bio-weapons division, but all the games and comics make them out to be EVIL INC and they're not really like that until the very end of Alien 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    I think I'd prefer a decent AvP game a la AvP2, to just an Aliens game, but aslong as the atmosphere and gameplay is decent I think this'll be fun. I always quite liked the WY goons/synthetic sections and the predator bits.
    I was playing AvP2 and Primal Hunt in prep for this and I don't mind the Predators in that one. Never been a fan of playing Predators, either. There's something about them being overpowered that bores me to death. I always tend to play them last.

I liked the balance in 2, there were some dumb moments where you were just walking round corridors as the predator, but then there were some really cool moments - like the fight with the dropship and those early levels where you're jumping from tree to tree hunting WY goons.

[Level 3: Humanoid] ConnorTheScot's Avatar
    If they can replicate the fun that i had with AVP2 many years ago, then that would really settle me!

New trailer, seem to get a few glimpses of new stuff.

Also, a bit of new gameplay.

Kinda disappointed Bishop's in this, that gives me a bad feeling but the game looks solid enough.

Anybody getting this day one?

Yeah, I'm getting it. I really want to play the campaign with 3 other people, but it's only ZP that's actually interested in this, so I'll probably end up playing with randoms!

I don't mind a new Bishop popping up, though. Having a whole line of Bishop androids makes sense, but Lance is also playing the real Bishop (the one from Alien 3). He's basically the good guy AND the bad guy in this. I think the idea of bringing back Hicks is just terrible. Yeah, it sucks that he died in a shitty "needed to for the script" kind of way, but it happened, and there's no need to convolute it any further.

FYI, Mikey Neumann had to go on Twitter to tell people that the dialogue in the new Kick Ass trailer wasn't written by him, nor does Cruz actually say any of those Duke Nukem-esque lines in the game. Phew.

I'm probably going to get it, provided Gearbox have done a good job. After taking a chance on the 2010 AvP I'm a little hesitant to throw money at anything Aliens until I know it's good, and I know that was mostly because Rebellion are shit now but still.

I hadn't thought about the Hicks bit, that is weird. Probably would have made more sense for Hudson to be alive really, considering he just disappeared into the floor. With Bishop I'm just worried because anytime Lance Henriksen pops up in anything modern with 'aliens' in the title it ends up being terrible. Obviously not his fault, but he's like the franchise's unlucky charm at this stage. Plus apart from nostalgia factor I don't really see much reason to include his model synthetic.

Rebellion fluked it with AvP1, and rested on good graces for the rest of their careers, and I knew from the start that Sega need to justify their ownership of the license, especially after A:CM's delay and cancellation of Aliens: Crucible, so AvP3 was rushed to meet demands (and it probably saved Rebellion...unfortunately).

At least with Gearbox, I can see the potential from past efforts. Half Life: Opposing Force is Aliens in all but name and it's my fave of the HL games, and even though it can get ridiculously overwrought and a tad samey, Brothers in Arms showed that they could make a game with a cast you could invest in.

I'm getting none of that from the trailers, though...but Sega has marketed this game pretty badly since the start. Nobody knows shit about this game, really. I know enough, but even enough is pretty dim.

Beast Master
    Yeah, I'm getting it. I really want to play the campaign with 3 other people, but it's only ZP that's actually interested in this, so I'll probably end up playing with randoms!
    Yep, got it on pre-order! I couldn't pass up that Hudson skin. The other skins are a bonus. Shame there's no Frost or Vasquez skins too though.

Or Burke. A Burke skin would've been a laugh.

Yeah, I like most of the marines from Aliens, but I think I'd prefer to play as Vasquez over any of the others.

Rebellion fluked it with AvP1, and rested on good graces for the rest of their careers, and I knew from the start that Sega need to justify their ownership of the license, especially after A:CM's delay and cancellation of Aliens: Crucible, so AvP3 was rushed to meet demands (and it probably saved Rebellion...unfortunately).

At least with Gearbox, I can see the potential from past efforts. Half Life: Opposing Force is Aliens in all but name and it's my fave of the HL games, and even though it can get ridiculously overwrought and a tad samey, Brothers in Arms showed that they could make a game with a cast you could invest in.

I'm getting none of that from the trailers, though...but Sega has marketed this game pretty badly since the start. Nobody knows shit about this game, really. I know enough, but even enough is pretty dim.
    I got the impression last year that was maybe because it was still pretty unfinished - that video that Gearbox put up where Randy Pitchford narrated a section of gameplay looked a little unpolished at times. But yeah, considering it's out in just over two weeks(ish) we should be seeing a lot more by now, and thinking about it I'm not even sure if this is more of an action game or a horror game I think Sega's marketing has been a bit off for awhile though, Binary Domain just seemed to appear from nowhere and then it was gone and never mentioned again.

I actually quite like that trailer, with any other game it'd probably be stupid but given the aliens context and the cocksure attitude of the marines in that it just makes me think the shit's really going to hit the fan in colonial marines. That could just be an accident on Sega's part/misinterpretation by me though.