Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars

So is anyone else hyped about this? So far it's my most anticipated game of 2014. It's supposed to be somewhat like Persona, where the story is like a Visual Novel and the gameplay is dungeon crawlery and is supposed to have a similar battle system aswell

Its developed by Spike Chunsoft and published by Atlus and with the comparison to Persona my hopes are high. Oh and it looks absolutely hilarious, despite the title it's no sex sim but Im sure their will be lots of funny moments. it's coming to 3DS and Vita set to release quarter one 2014, Amazon lists its US release date as April 15, 2014 (not sure if placeholder or not)

First run copies will come with Special box and 10 track CD

http://www.atlus.com/conception2/

SO HYPE!

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Needs more loli

Seems the placeholder date IS official, heres the first english trailer, love the track that plays, all the more reason to get that first run OST

'Here's a bunch of underage looking girls. Get them pregnant, win the game!"

Well, certainly can't say it's up there with the likes of Smash, X and Dark Souls II for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TitusGroan View Post
    'Here's a bunch of underage looking girls. Get them pregnant, win the game!"

Well, certainly can't say it's up there with the likes of Smash, X and Dark Souls II for me.
    It essentially supposed to be like Persona 3/4 (3 being my favorite game ever) and it's published by Atlus, most of the games they publish end up being amazing. It looks fun to play (which alone is all I need to like a game) and lighthearted.

If the age of animated pixels and the silly concept don't appeal to you thats fine, opinions and the such, I just like the looks of this game better than anything else I've seen

I'll just buy it because it's a quirky japanese game and I would love to see more of those over here.

Also, I like the though of impregnating underage girls.
    ... wait, that sounded kinda wrong.

Or it sounds exactly right

No but seriously the fact its a niche Japanese game, developed by Atlus, and coming on the somewhat game starved Vita does increase my hype levels a lot. Plus the weapons look badass, and I love me a game with a good animu art style

also gif time, stole these from here http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...-animated-gifs

Spoiler!

It sounds like Eugenics: Kawaii edition.

Quote Originally Posted by boxcollector View Post
    It sounds like Eugenics: Kawaii edition.
    YOU MADE THAT COMMENT IN THE COMMENTS SECTION ON THE FRONT PAGE!!!! I SAW!!!!!

That would be an acceptable alternate subtitle to Children of the Seven Stars

[Level 6: Robot]
    I've played bits and pieces of the first game. I would have liked to get into it more but my limited knowledge of the language was hampering my enjoyment of it. I understand maybe 10% of the Japanese that games throw at me, for an RPG I think you really need to be closer to 90%. I didn't even know this was a thing until I saw an article about it a few days ago, glad it's getting localised. The themes will put some people off for whatever reason, but it's solid enough that it deserves consideration. I wouldn't say it's like Persona as such, but it at least appears to draw from it pretty heavily and as a huge Persona fan I consider it my type of game.

It's supposed to be completely unrelated to the story of the first game, so hopefully knowledge of it won't be necessary. And yeah a dungeon crawling RPG published by Atlus? That alone is enough to get me excited

You may be interested in Demon Gaze. Not Atlus and the dungeons are first-person but it seems great. The English release finally got announced for April yesterday.

Yeah I saw that earlier and plan on checking it out, thanks!

There's a preview on the front page. I'll keep my thoughts to myself because I can't get mad at someone not liking the same things I do.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    A lot of people could, apparently.

Eh... I'd never begrudge someone playing this game, but it rustles my jimmies when people on the front page just don't seem to understand how the game could be seen as being creepy. If you want to play it, fine, but if someone says they're not comfortable with the idea of a game objectifying teenage girls as objects to be impregnated, especially when it does so in uncomfortably infantile terms ('classmating' rather than fucking), it would be nice if the stock response wasn't "Well COD has you murder people so LOL AT DER HYPOCRISY!" It completely ignores context and reason for violence in many videogames, shallow though it is, compared to a game which, well, makes you get underage girls pregnant to win the game.

If Princess Peach and Zelda constantly being captured can inspire 25 yars + of debate on gender roles, I would hope that at the very least people could understand why the subject matter of this game may be distasteful to some. But apparently I just don't liek sex in games, and am ignoring war, famine and disease in the world which apparently is somehow completely related. Or something.

Creepy otaku dudes who fetishize teenage girls are weird to me.

Spoiler!

but it rustles my jimmies when people on the front page just don't seem to understand how the game could be seen as being creepy.
    More creepy than the hundreds of mass murder glorifications?
    Seriously, we're talkinga bout fictional deeds with fictional characters here. And yes, finding the one thing totally okay simply because it's established and then get all shaken up with another topic - nah, brah. That shit doesn't fly. You can't say that one gruesome thing/thing that's fucked up IRL is totally A-Ok and that another thing from that very same category isn't. Because, yes, that IS hypocrisy. And the same would go if that thing would contain explicit sex scenes. Because there is one thing that all games have in common that makes it actually okay: fictional things are done with fictional characters. It's okay to murder hundreds in GTA because no one really gets even scratched by that and for that very same reason it's okay to impregnate teens.

If Princess Peach and Zelda constantly being captured can inspire 25 yars + of debate on gender roles
    They didn't. That discussion came up a few years ago. And it wasn't a discussion for the most part.

Because its really judgmental and insulting. What fucking business of yours if people enjoy different games from you? Also you're not getting paid to write a preview of it so it's a little bit different if you aren't unbiased vs a writer (no offense to either of you)

Its not objectifying girls at all. In case you missed it you can make star children with men aswell, also you need two people to make a baby, so theyre both contributing equally. And not to mention the girls all fight with you aswell and are just as important as you are. And the game isn't meant to be taken seriously, its purposely over the top. Its called classmating because in this clearly fantasy world, thats what it is. Its not a real world and it doesn't have to follow the real worlds laws, in this world you make star children with magic, not sex, you're the only one ignoring context here. Also teenagers having sex is pretty damn normal and theres a valid reason for it. Also you fight with the girls who are just as capable as you and everything is consensual so I don't see how it comes off as misogynist beyond the tired old "LOOK AT TEH FANSERVICE!!" argument

People bring up violence because of the massive hypocrisy and blatent double standard, why is sex in a game bad but violence isn't? Why are so many more people bothered by sex than violence in games? People dont like things to be unfair, and its blatent thats unfair. If people think things like this should be censored or are morally wrong its only fair that it also applies to violence and other serious issues, you need consistency. Thats not to say theres no discussion to be had but really I think we're all mature enough here that we don't need to judge and insult people because they like something different from you.

Creepy gun loving dudes who fetishize murder are weird to me aswell. But cant we all just accept that it's okay to like whatever the hell you like?

Quote Originally Posted by OpiumHerz View Post
    More creepy than the hundreds of mass murder glorifications?
    Seriously, we're talkinga bout fictional deeds with fictional characters here. And yes, finding the one thing totally okay simply because it's established and then get all shaken up with another topic - nah, brah. That shit doesn't fly. You can't say that one gruesome thing/thing that's fucked up IRL is totally A-Ok and that another thing from that very same category isn't. Because, yes, that IS hypocrisy. And the same would go if that thing would contain explicit sex scenes. Because there is one thing that all games have in common that makes it actually okay: fictional things are done with fictional characters. It's okay to murder hundreds in GTA because no one really gets even scratched by that and for that very same reason it's okay to impregnate teens.

Something being fiction doesn't mean its exempt from criticism. Birth Of A Nation was fiction.

Violence can be contextualised in a way that underage sex cannot. War is a pretty horrible thing, but sometimes every once in a while its pretty damn necessary, and anyone who's benefited from the effect of the Emancipation Proclamation or the outcome of the Nuremberg Trials can attest to that. Violence can be contextualised as something which is justifiable if done as a measure of self-defence, or done when an aggressor has decided to do something truly unjustifiable.

You seem to think I'm A-OK with any old portrayal of cheap violence a la COD. I'm not. I find the later COD games' jingoism insulting as a non-American. but violence can be used within a medium as a justified mechanic to explore ideas and themes. Spec Ops The Line used in-game violence to examine the horrors of war, as did the original Modern Warfare. Both games used violence in a justified manner. Even Metal Gear Rising used extended storytelling in its cutscenes and monologues to justify the violence by claiming it was in order to protect the weak.

That's the difference: Violence as a form of protection can, in the proper context, be justified. If you're out on a date, and someone tries to mug your date and steal her handbag, you'd be justified in beating his ass down. if Russia, in some mad universe, tried to invade the US, the US would be justified in defending itself. If I'm a hard-ass Ninja, and my village got wiped out by bad guys, I'd be justified in going after those bad guys with my sword.

That is not the sort of context that can be applied to a game which makes underage sex and pregnancy between characters a stated goal to winning the game.

From what I read, the entire romance mechanics is badly thought out and badly implemented. You just give gifts to female characters until they like you enough to jump on your dick, as if that's how sex works. and that's the insulting thign, this game is selling itself on 'mature themes of sex' but doesn't even have the balls to commit to that. Look at that other Atlus game Catherine, which sold itself on being a game dealing with mature themes on sex and commitment, and actually stuck to that idea the whole way through. Here we've got an RPG selling itself on 'mature sex themes', that doesn't even have the honesty to call fucking fucking, and makes all the female characters teenagers. Even their character designs are deliberately made to make them look as infantile as possible. It dresses up the idea of sex in as much kiddy clothing as it can, in order to appeal to a weird ass demographic who don't seem to mind the idea of fucking kids.

If you're going to have fucking in your games, just call it fucking. Bioware, for all their storytelling flaws, at least get that, as do Obsidian, CD Projeckt Red, and any other developers who actually make games involving adults fucking other adults. This entire game can be summed up as a male character grooming underage women with presents in order to get them pregnant, and that shit is creepy as fuck. You can like whatever the hell you like, but anything involving fetishizing kids should be able to be called out for what it is.

Here, let's look at some of the female characters listed:

• Chloe: The older sister of your new friend Chlotz, and only a year older than your character. Her abilities are so exceptional that she works as an instructor at the Academy. Chloe uses a Remote Turret to perforate her opponents.
      Ellie: A first-year student who’s very energetic and often cheers on those around her. Though she looks cute and young, she’s very mature and perceptive. Ellie uses a magical staff called a Summoning Gun to dish out serious magic damage.
      Feene: An earnest, polite third-year student. She is considered one of the strongest Disciples, and has already seen action on the front lines. Her formidable Gunblade has seen its fair share of battles as well.

Now, from what I understand, the game says that characters have to be under eighteen for their powers to work. I'm going to be generous, and assume that Year ___ at the Academy has little bearing on actual Years as equated in real lfie schools (because fucking a girl in actual First Year would be ridiculous by any standard). Even then, the game states that some of the girls are in First Year, and some in Third Year, creating a three year gap. If all these characters have to be under eighteen for the lore of the game to work, and we go with the assumption that people in Third Year are 17 going on 18, that still means the game has given you the option to give presents to, have sex with and impregnate a 15 year old girl.

You know what someone who gives presents to a 15 year old girl with the explicit goal of getting them pregnant is called? A fucking creeper. It doesn't matter if the game goes "Oh well it's all consensual/the girls want to get pregnant/etc" That's still creepy as fuck. Here in the UK, a 17 year old guy who grooms and fucks a 15 year old can still get done for statutory rape. I know, because a guy I wnet to school with got arrested for just that.

if this was all against the backdrop of a larger story, or served as some sort of subversive narrative element, I could understand it, but it isn't. The goal of the game is to get these girls pregnant, and not a single goddamn one is over 18. That creeps me the fuck out. When the game then dresses that up as 'classmating', it makes it even worse, because it's then clear that the developers are trying to make this seem as juvenile/infantile as possible.

Again, you can play this game as much as you like. but it boggles my mind how people don't understand that a game focused on getting teenage girls pregnant, to use their offsrping in battle no less, is getting funny looks from other media outlets. I know it's not a 'lol Japan' thing, because I know Japanese developers are better than this for the most part, and the sort of Otaku who get off on this stuff are actually a minority demographic looked down on as weirdos by everyone else. but to try and equate underage grooming as somehow being morally equal with violence used in the conext of self-defence is shady as fuck.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Again, you can play this game as much as you like. but it boggles my mind how people don't understand that a game focused on getting teenage girls pregnant, to use their offsrping in battle no less, is getting funny looks from other media outlets. I know it's not a 'lol Japan' thing, because I know Japanese developers are better than this for the most part, and the sort of Otaku who get off on this stuff are actually a minority demographic looked down on as weirdos by everyone else. but to try and equate underage grooming as somehow being morally equal with violence used in the conext of self-defence is shady as fuck.
    Is that really a thing in this game?