Page 1 of 321 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Community Discourse

[Level 7: Sentinel]

Community Discourse

I decided to take Mxy's advice and do something about it. I wrote a thing:

Dtoid Sucks Now (link)

Edit: Six months later, I wrote another thing:

State of the Dtoid Address (link)
    Last edited by Char Aznable; 05-12-2014 at 01:15 PM.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephzilla View Post
    They should put me on the frontpage as an official writer. I'd show them how it's fucking done.

Spoiler!
    Same. I'd dedicate more time to cblogs if I had the time to dedicate. I barely have the time to play games as often as I'd like anymore let alone do write ups. Hell, I'd say 95% of what you see me put up here and on the front page are during spurts of downtime at work. Though I still want to dedicate some time to a weekly cblog or series of cblogs at some point.

My biggest thing with the fragmentation is that they at least represent the cblogs periodically and they have that sidebar on the front page that lists recent blogs, but there is nothing to represent the forums at all on the front page other than the nav bar link. They have a recent news ticker and I would love to see them dedicate 2 slots on it specifically to cblogs and forums. Just have the ticker list recent posts or forum topics and at least there will something that people can see and hopefully respond to.

That and maybe give weekly or biweekly cblog questions/requests for users to respond to so that cblog writing is actively being encouraged.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post

Dtoid Sucks Now (link)

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantHige View Post
    Same. I'd dedicate more time to cblogs if I had the time to dedicate. I barely have the time to play games as often as I'd like anymore let alone do write ups. Hell, I'd say 95% of what you see me put up here and on the front page are during spurts of downtime at work. Though I still want to dedicate some time to a weekly cblog or series of cblogs at some point.

My biggest thing with the fragmentation is that they at least represent the cblogs periodically and they have that sidebar on the front page that lists recent blogs, but there is nothing to represent the forums at all on the front page other than the nav bar link. They have a recent news ticker and I would love to see them dedicate 2 slots on it specifically to cblogs and forums. Just have the ticker list recent posts or forum topics and at least there will something that people can see and hopefully respond to.

That and maybe give weekly or biweekly cblog questions/requests for users to respond to so that cblog writing is actively being encouraged.
    The number of unfinished cBlogs I have compared to the number of finished ones I've put up in the last year or two is like some 4:1 ratio. I've also hit one of those ruts where I start something with a good idea, get halfway through, and then read what I wrote and think that "this is kind of bland, I don't think people would like to read it".

On top of that, most of the blogs I start are during work downtime too. I rarely finish blogs when I get home because, well, girlfriend + video game time + generally having a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday Legend View Post
    Shit, I'd love to start one up. Never done it before, but I think there's a few people down here that would make it interesting as hell. I think keeping a small core host / co-host in place and a random rotation of a cast of many would help out a lot. I enjoy writing the interview pieces because it's someone new every time, new points of view, new stories, all of that. I think having that same kind of thing in a podcast would be awesome.
    If you ever wanted to do any of the interviews in podcast form I would totally be down to get in on that. Suppose due diligence would dictate finishing up the written ones people have already committed to first though.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Same here. I've written quite a bit, but after reading it, or real life getting in the way, there's just not enough time to polish anything to a worthwhile shine.

Speaking of which, I have to go to work now.

Juice Box
    Fuck yeah, Char.

Errday, if you ever start up a podcast that's gaming related I'll join in to at least give it a shot. Not sure if I have a radio voice though.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    The number of unfinished cBlogs I have compared to the number of finished ones I've put up in the last year or two is like some 4:1 ratio.
    My google docs is a horrific mass grave of ideas.

Dtoid Sucks Now (link)
    I fapped. Hope this actually gets a response from staff.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    I've got a lot of posts that are ready to go, but editing while at the library is a huge fucking pain and I never really feel comfortable enough to go through with it, so I don't.

I'll probably blog again when internet at home finally works.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Errday, if you ever start up a podcast that's gaming related I'll join in to at least give it a shot. Not sure if I have a radio voice though.
    Clearly, you've never listened to me on the community podcasts. If I can do it with a really thick, and yet strangely effeminate, Welsh accent and come out of it half-way understandable, then anybody can do it. You just go for broke and regret nothing.

Great write up Char. Hopefully they will feel enough pressure over time to at least acknowledge the issues rather than ignore them. That seems to be the biggest irritant in all of this. At least tell us when something major is going down.

[Level 5: Mech]

Dtoid Sucks Now (link)
    Also fapped. I don't agree with -everything- in it (Corgis are okay, though their being on everything that Dale posts is dumb), it says a lot of the things I can't without fear of being accused of butthurt over the live channel changes.

So what changes happened to the live channel?

First time I've fapped in a long time.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nekobun View Post
    I've also been quite aware of the drought of crossover content from the cblogs to the front page. There was a brief spurt where people were getting promoted all the time, and for at least a year or two, I can count the promotions on one hand.
    I promoted six blogs to the front page last month. That alone is more than one hand (unless you're a mutant).

I LOVE promoting blogs. I have another one open in another tab right now that I'll be promoting this weekend. You want to see more quality shit promoted? Write some quality shit. And if I miss something, fucking tell me! I can't possibly read everything that gets written, and more than a few cblogs have made it to the front page after someone bugged me to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    Dixon has a personality, but it's not a strong personality, with all due respect -- he's essentially a hype man, a cheerleader, a Flavor Flav.

I can't do nothin' for ya, man.

So what changes happened to the live channel?
    Adding a brief history lesson for context and explaining as much as I know as briefly as I can. In late 2012, the hosts of the primary show on the live channel, Pico Mause and Jon Carnage, were hired away by Curse and Twitch.tv respectively. Channel management duties were handed over to Rick "King Foom" Olson by those two along with the name of the channel's flagship show, Mash Tactics. Foom had been around on Twitch and its progenitor, Justin.tv, for years prior to Dtoid bringing him on.

Anyway, several broadcasters were brought on over time to fill out the schedule more and provide entertainment at different times of the day and catered to different tastes. Most of these broadcasters were handpicked by Foom, some due to their history with the channel and other as friends he already knew from the streaming scene. A secondary channel was established for inexperienced streamers to try their hand and possibly see a bump to the main channel one day, though many broadcasters were able to jump the line after broadcasting on their own channels and being unable to get in touch with those in charge of Streamtoid to actually get on there. I myself was added this past February as a late night horror broadcaster due to such reasons.

Anyway, broadcasters came and went due to personal responsibilities, but we still had the hours of around noon to 2 or 3 AM Eastern covered every weekday, and a scattering of programs on Saturday and Sunday across the clock. This past month, several of us were told to pack our bags due to "new plans" for the channel, including the recently added SeriesRunner, who'd been on maybe a month or two prior to the decision.

While not surprised myself, as I figured my days were numbered given my tendency to swear at some rage-inducingly terrible games on some nights and my non-nonsense, straightforward persona on camera, the removal of the other guys made little sense to me and still does. The current schedule now consists solely of Mash Tactics every weekday, The Core on Tuesdays and Thursdays before that, and Gentlemen's Club following Mash Tactics on Wednesdays. I'm not entirely sure what's going on with weekends as the schedule section has yet to be updated, but I believe Chill With Phil still airs on Saturdays, and Sundays feature 'Sup Holmes, Retroactive and Rad Show.

Math-wise, they've gone from 50-55 hours of content throughout the weekdays to about 25, with the weekends staying about the same. No real explanation was made for the change and it came as quite a shock to the viewers; I hadn't seen as many new followers on my own channel in a month than those I received in the final week of those shows that were leaving. The official Facebook group for the channel received notification that there would be an announcement forthcoming, but we're still waiting on that.

Chances are someone will waltz in here and repudiate some of my claims without actually correcting them, as occurred when I explained the best of what I knew to my audience two shows prior to my final, but this is all from personal experience and I stand by it. I don't claim to know what's going on behind the scenes, which is kind of why I keep asking.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Andy Dixon View Post
    I can't do nothin' for ya, man.
    You can tell me what time it is.

tl;dr version - Live channel slashed its programming hours in half for some reason and I got yelled at for explaining it by a couple of old-heads from around the channel. Viewers are pissed, especially those who were regulars at the shows that got cut.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    I promoted six blogs to the front page last month.
    I'm happy about that. And you're right about this:

You want to see more quality shit promoted? Write some quality shit.
    With that said, there's been three solid months of weekly entries to the Cblog Interviews that have never once been promoted in twelve different attempts. It just seems that if community is such a focal point, that interviews with said community would get a little shine sometime within a three-month span.

tfw you have to stand up for your own fucking labor of love just to be noticed by the FP.