Page 29 of 88 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wii U Thread

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Carry on.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Nintendo has and continues to make some of the best games to every grace gamers hands and eyes. They typically avoid gaming fads (although they've created quite a few) and always march to the beat of their own drum, and sometimes they pay for it financially, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't own any Nintendo stock so I could honestly give a fuck less if they're selling their systems for a profit or pushing out enough units of Pikmin 3 to justify the budget. All I care about (and I know this is selfish) is I get to play their games. Period.

Listen, if they want to create some crazy, no-other-company-would-ever-even-try hardware in an attempt to shake up the stagnant gaming world, I'm all for it. Most companies try to create what they think gamers want; Nintendo makes whatever the fuck they want. At least one of the big three is trying something new because the other two seem to be sharing the same, boring playbook.

I've been drinking.

Honkey Kong
    You should drink more when you post. That was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    Nintendo has and continues to make some of the best games to every grace gamers hands and eyes. They typically avoid gaming fads (although they've created quite a few) and always march to the beat of their own drum, and sometimes they pay for it financially, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't own any Nintendo stock so I could honestly give a fuck less if they're selling their systems for a profit or pushing out enough units of Pikmin 3 to justify the budget. All I care about (and I know this is selfish) is I get to play their games. Period.

Listen, if they want to create some crazy, no-other-company-would-ever-even-try hardware in an attempt to shake up the stagnant gaming world, I'm all for it. Most companies try to create what they think gamers want; Nintendo makes whatever the fuck they want. At least one of the big three is trying something new because the other two seem to be sharing the same, boring playbook.

I've been drinking.

I couldn't find fault with a single bit of this. Truth in wine confirmed.

That's some remarkable spelling for someone who's getting tanked. I can't spell that well sober.

Also, it's true. Nintendo's approach really is unique in the industry, and it's sad, given that their approach is fundamentally geared entirely around making quality games. If a game needs more development time to be as good as it can be, they'll delay it, and ignore the outcry or the drop in stock-price. NLG, the guys behind Luigi's Mansion 2, says Nintendo gave them three years to develop the game, and 9 whole months dedicated for solid bugtesting. For a handheld game. Most publishers don't consider handheld games worth a squirt of piss.

The Wii U could tank worse than the Dreamcast, and I'd still raise a glass to Nintendo. It's the only company out of the Big Three run by game developers, the only one focused 100% on games, and the one company which time and again has kept bringing stellar games after stellar games. Until Nintendo fucks up, and put out a game on the same level of fuck-up as Battlefield 4 or SimCity, I'll keep playing their games and supporting them.

...though that said, if they want to use some of that creative magic to maybe start branching out into other genres and areas, I wouldn't complain. Maybe allow Miyamoto to make that FPS he's been wanting to make for a while now? Open up a couple more western studios to fill the hole left by Rare? Maybe moneyhat a few more third-party exclusives. We all know they're good for it.

Honkey Kong
    I'm drunk as shit on Twitch streaming. Being drunk doesn't mean you automatically don't care about your spelling. Sure, it took me 5 minutes to type this, but so be it.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I very rarely get tanked. Just made myself a strong gin & tonic and was loosened up enough to try and end the Nintendo debate in two paragraphs.

Turtles throwing truth bombs all around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    I very rarely get tanked. Just made myself a strong gin & tonic and was loosened up enough to try and end the Nintendo debate in two paragraphs.
    You may have very well succeeded.

[Level 5: Mech]

Ok, I seriously need to take a break from all this Nintendo talk. Today I dreamt that Nintendo had canceled theWii U and annannounced something called Wii U mobile! What a terrible nightmare, lol!

One theory Ive seen floating around is some sort of console handheld hybrid with various different interpretations on what it would be like

I kinda like the idea

If you mean the Fusion rumour, that's been shot down pretty much everywhere as nonsense. Especially as the guy who 'broke' the story has gone on record as saying he doesn't know who his 'source' is. in point of fact, I'm going to post a blog either today or tomorrow on the tendency of gaming media to run with a story without checking the facts first. There's been some pretty damning examples over the last few years.

Also, place your bets now: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate coming to Wii U or not? I'm betting yes. The Wii version of MH3U wasn't revealed until months after the 3DS announcement, and Capcom went on to say they were very happy with sales of the console version.

I would be inclined to say no. I would have expected they would announce a Wii U version at the same time as a 3DS version if they were going to. And the Wii U isn't going great right now, so companies aren't so open to taking a chance on it as they were closer to launch, when there wasn't any real impression so far of how good it would do. Before they were acting on faith really, since there was nothing else to go on. Now there is. Or at least enough for a company to justify to itself not to put games out on it.

I didn't know the Wii U version of MH3U was announced later though. So maybe they will announce bringing 4 over later as well. Still doubtful though. And I don't really think Capcom saying they were pleased with MH3U's performance on the console really means much. These publishers can be fickle, and change their tune quickly. And besides, if Capcom really were happy with how 3 did, then surely they would be more likely to do it differently with 4 and announce it earlier, alongside a 3DS announcement.

Given Capcom apparently being satisfied with its performance even in the west, their tight relationship with Nintendo in MH affairs and the fact a HD port of a 3ds game is probably dirt cheap, I'd say yes. That said, Wii U hardware sales were nothing short of catastrophic last year and in Japan at least they're already back to 2013 levels, so I'll feel a lot better about the odds of MH4U Wii U if Mario Kart pushes hardware sales to Gamecube levels at least.

Not necessarily. Monster Hunter is typically a series that Nintendo has given Capcom a lot of help with in bringing to the West. That's part of what made Capcom jump ship from Sony to Nintendo in the first place. I can't imagine that after the (relative) success of MH3U, Nintendo wouldn't be mentioning the idea of a Wii U release for 4 as much as possible to Capcom, and if they're helping bring it West, do everythign they can to make it so. If I remember rightly, they helped shoulder the cost of localisation and marketing for Monster Hunter Tri on Wii and MH3U, so if they're doing the same thing here, I think it likely they'd try and negotiate a Wii U version of MH4 as reciprocation. After all, Capcom said they made money on the Wii U version of 3, so it's not like they'd be looking at a money sink here.

There's over a year before the game comes out, so that's plenty of time for more news to emerge. And I reckon a Wii U release is exactly he sort of thing Nintendo would want to reveal themselves in a Direct, like they initially did for MH4.

I hope so, I really want it! And despite the hardware troubles, I think that's one third party game with good odds of coming due to what was said above.

In December, 10 months after release, supposedly leaked NPD numbers put MH3U Wii U at 100k in the U.S alone (120k for the 3ds version. That's units sold only in December, not total sales). Assuming that info is correct and assuming an average of price of $30, that nets Capcom roughly $1.5m. That alone covers the porting costs, and with Nintendo handling distribution, the odds of MH4 Wii U don't look too bad!

Yeah, apparently MH3U has had far better sales legs than most other Wii U games, so I think that should count for something. Capcom's cultivating an audience for the game in the West, and right now it's almost entirely on 3DS and Wii U hardware. I think they'd want to try and capitalise on that audience as much as possible.

Also, Two Tribes Software tweeted today that Wii U owners have got a lot of good news to look forward this week to regarding the following indie studios: KnapKnock (Spin The Bottle) Gaijin (Bit Trip) Black Forest (Twisted Sisters) Way Forwad, and Two Tribes themselves. If that's not a hint about an upcoming Direct, the sounds like they could be clubbing together for a Humble Wii U Bundle or something. Nintendo did say they allow indie developers control over their own pricing and sales on the eShop.

I thought NPD didn't track VG sales anymore.

One of the first responses to Two Tribe's tweet was "Indie Smash Bros?"

If that wasn't a thing before, by god it needs to be a thing now.

I think NPD still do quarterly results, don't they? I know there was a massive hullabaloo recently over quarterly/yearly VG sales, and I'm sure NPD were involved. Unless it's just due to companies releasing info of their own volition, but there was that whole ruckus about Wii U sales, 3DS sales, etc etc. Was that not NPD?