Thread: Hi Guys, Thought I Should Reintroduce Myself

[Level 7: Sentinel]

Hi Guys, Thought I Should Reintroduce Myself

Hi guys.

I'm not really sure if a new introduction thread was necessary but I thought as it's been quite a while since I last posted there would be no harm in it.

My name is Tim. My username here and on XBL/Steam/etc is Gilthalas. I recently(ish) graduated from Uni (studied English) and I'm currently a chef. My interests include reading, writing, playing games, watching films/TV/etc and all the usual stuff. Currently playing Pokemon X and a variety of other games I picked up in sales like Ni No Kuni and MGS HD.

There wasn't any reason for me to stop posting before. It's just something that kind of happened inexpicably but I always left the Dtoid forum link in my toolbar and I thought it would be nice to get back in to posting here and what not. So here I am!

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Hello again. Was it Lang or Lit?

THE MR.E BIRD
    Welcome back Tim!

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Hey, Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Hello again. Was it Lang or Lit?
    It was Lit. Didn't want to waste my time getting a useless degree now did I?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    Welcome back Tim!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday Legend View Post
    Hey, Tim.
    Hi!

Shots fired. Has Lit been useful to you? I'm asking as I'm in the second year of it.

Ha, I haven't really put much effort in to trying to do anything graduate-y with my degree so I'm not the best person to ask! I just like to be self-deprecating about my achievements in life

Fair doos. I just like to ask everyone I can, because OH SHIT, GOTTA GET A JOB!

But this thread is about you. How's being a chef?

Juice Box
    You both should try to become technical writers? If you're good at writing those jobs can pay da bill$$$.

Also, hello Tim. Is the new pokemon worth it?

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Hello Tim, nice to meet you.

Like pk fire said, tech writing is a possibility if you have a decent tech industry in your area. My fiance went to school for English, but realized she didn't want to teach after her time student teaching. She didn't know what to do right away and continued on into grad school. She got her Masters in English and took an internship tech writing. She ended up getting hired there and has since moved elsewhere and become their lead tech writer.

Let me put it this way, if you can stomach writing a lot of documentation, its a good job to try and get into. I'm working entry level web app development and she makes a good 20k more than me. It's not the only job out there, but its a good one to consider.

I've heard a lot about it, yeah. And it does sound promising. One of the two jobs I want to look into--that, and editing/publishing. Teaching is just not for me.

But yeah: the Pokemon thread's very active. Come and share your FC, if you want.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Hey dude, I remember you. Welcome back; we need more people to help revive the dead ass book thread.

Hey my welcome thread turned in to a careers fair! The reason I haven't really used my degree is because I'm in the middle of applying for the RAF and it's quite a long process and what I'm quite intent on doing so I have actually considered technical writing before. Just not my current goal is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    But this thread is about you. How's being a chef?
    It's not for me! But I like the people I work with and I'm alright at it so for now I'm happy to carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by pk fire View Post
    Also, hello Tim. Is the new pokemon worth it?
    I think if you like Pokemon games, then you'll enjoy it! Quite a few new changes and the battle graphics are fantastic. I think my favourite new feature is that saving takes about a second now though. The little things...

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantHige View Post
    Hello Tim, nice to meet you.

Like pk fire said, tech writing is a possibility if you have a decent tech industry in your area. My fiance went to school for English, but realized she didn't want to teach after her time student teaching. She didn't know what to do right away and continued on into grad school. She got her Masters in English and took an internship tech writing. She ended up getting hired there and has since moved elsewhere and become their lead tech writer.

Let me put it this way, if you can stomach writing a lot of documentation, its a good job to try and get into. I'm working entry level web app development and she makes a good 20k more than me. It's not the only job out there, but its a good one to consider.
    That's pretty neat. My dad was telling me about the technical writers in his office and it does sound like a pretty nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    Hey dude, I remember you. Welcome back; we need more people to help revive the dead ass book thread.
    Cheers! I don't really have anyone to discuss books with unless I force my girlfriend to read books after me so I'll be more than happy to contribute.

THE MR.E BIRD
    I'd want a BA only if it stood for Bad-Ass. Which it does not.

Even though I know you are two different people, my brain always equates you and Zippyduda.

Anyway, welcome home.