Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are you gonna finish that?: Oldest games in your backlog

[Level 7: Sentinel]

Are you gonna finish that?: Oldest games in your backlog

As I was looking for ways to free up some time (and money) for GTA V, it suddenly occurred to me that it has been 3 years since I last touched my sad, neglected copy of Demon's Souls. I don't remember getting very far into that game as I always fail miserably at one point and end up creating a brand new character only to fail again. I guess I just lack the patience for this sort of thing. I even once considered cheating through the entire game using the item duping trick but that would just be dumb and I would feel like I'm just playing the game for the sake of getting it out of my backlog.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    is another one. Played it religiously during summer of 2011. Reached the part where you had to go to the Obelisk, then school came along. I told myself, "I'm gonna finish this next summer!". Two summers have passed and poor Naoki is still standing at the entrance of Asakusa while that one Oni in that dark subway is still waiting for me to challenge him. I swear I'll continue it next year... hopefully... I guess....

How about you guys? I think 2-3 years of not touching a game is already super long that I lose all interest in ever playing it. Though, I won't be surprised if some of you have done much worse.

(Feel free to call me out if there's already a similar thread. I've only been here for a week!)

There's only one game in my library that I haven't beaten. That's Fable III. I just can't get through it, the game is fine until you hit the half way mark. The whole, buying houses and making sure you give fair rent, etc. That to me killed the game, if I wanted a Sim game, I would've gone and played The Sims.

Oh boy! Me and you are going to have a nice long chat. You haven't finished Demon's Souls?! The greatest game to bless us with its presence this generation?! That my friend, is pure MADNESS! The game is truly not as hard as it makes itself out to be. All the game asks of you is a bit of patience and understanding.

The key is, every single time you die, you gain a titbit of knowledge. You have to reassess the situation and ask yourself ''How and why did I just die?'' You have to accept the fact that it was your fault that you died. You gotta get up, dust yourself off and get back on that horse. Dying 2-3 times and then just quitting gains you noting in Demon's Souls. You gotta fight through the pain!

For new players I always recommend the Royalty class. In my opinion it's the best starting class. You have Soul Arrow which pretty much is a one hit k.o at the early game. They give you a rapier and buckler combo, which allows you to block and poke with your sword at the same time, making it very hard for you to get hit. The most important item this class has is the Fragrant Ring, which recovers MP over time; thus allowing you to semi-spam Soul Arrow. One of the best parts about this class is, with a bit of skill you can actually kill the Vanguard that they throw at you in the tutorial, allowing you to start off with a few extra Souls. With a couple of timed dodges and about 5-8 Soul Arrows shots, its downed.

I'd highly recommend you practice 1-1 a couple of times before adventuring off to the other worlds. Just so you can get familiar with the controls and class. Trust me, you do not want to miss out on the amazing experience that Demon's Souls has to offer, it's seriously breath taking! So - dust off the game, sit down, relax and play.

You Have A Heart Of Gold... Don't Let Them Take It From You.

Mass Effect 2 and Resistance: Fall of Man come to mind.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Oldest that I have on hand currently... Final Fantasy 8. Never beat the final boss since she kept unjunctioning my health and killing me. They say it is random, but 30 attempts where it happened every time to all my characters would beg to differ.

Edit: It's only on PS1 because my NES and Genesis at are my sister's :P Otherwise I'd probably say Solstice for the NES. That game was impossible as a kid but I'd like to play it again to remind myself how bad I am at life.

PSN download of Siren.

Wolf Master
    Hahah. All of these current generation games that are the oldest in peoples' backlogs. Oldest in my backlog (which I will almost certainly never go back to finish) is probably Legend of Dragoon or Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter345 View Post
    Hahah. All of these current generation games that are the oldest in peoples' backlogs. Oldest in my backlog (which I will almost certainly never go back to finish) is probably Legend of Dragoon or Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete.
    You should really finish Legend of Dragoon. I'm really only saying that because it's one of my favorite RPGs, but the end boss is really fun.

Also, I have so many games on my backlog that I've either never started or started but never finished, that there's no way I can remember them all. Off the top of my head: Shadow Hearts, Quest 64, Skyrim, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Borderlands DLC and Borderlands 2 DLC, and many many more.

Wolf Master
    I stopped playing Legend of Dragoon because I wanted to get all of the stupid little collect-a-thon things, but got to a point where I was missing one or two and I didn't know which one or two they were, so I'd have to go to every single location again to find them, and it didn't sound like fun at all.

Actually getting the Stardust in LoD for no real reward is a foolish errand. If that game came out today it's be an Achievement and nothing more. Especially considering that game had no prompts for where they were and you literally just had to run around hitting 'x' to find them.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I have over 1,300 games in my collection, there are games I haven't even booted up yet, yet alone attempt to beat. What's on my current backlog that I want to beat, but to busy playing other games are the following.
    Ghosts 'N Goblins (NES)
    Mutant Mudds (3DS)
    Shin Megami Tensai IV
    Super Mario 3D Land

This happens to me a lot, since I have a tendency to buy games in bulk, but I think the worst one for me would have to be Metroid Prime. I bought the game in 2007, played it for a long while, and then I got to the final stretch (where you have to meander around collecting those dumb symbols) and just lost interest. I still think about finishing it from time to time, but then I put Red Dead Redemption back in my PS3 and I forget that other games exist.

Worse, I bought the sequel not long after that, since I was getting so into it, but I vowed that I wouldn't touch that one until I finished the first- so Echoes has basically been sitting in my games basket, untouched, for 5 years.

You guys think you have a backlog? Let me tell you about a little game called World of Illusion.

Going on 14 years and I still have never beaten the dang thing. It's a great game, but I don't know what keeps me from ever finishing it. Maybe it's the water level (that certainly was the case when I was younger), or maybe I just should say "screw you water level" and rush through it, sometime.

But that freaking water level.

Next best thing I can think of is Skyrim, because for some reason, a few years back, I beat every single side-quest in the game, did all the daedric quests, guild quests, what have you, but in my joy to have completed all that, I forgot that I still had two story missions left to beat, and I didn't realize it until long after I had put the game down.

That, and Dark Souls, which I can't for the life of me find the drive to play to completion.

Juice Box
    Damn Shin.

I've probably gotten through 85% of Persona 3, but haven't picked it up in months. I love the series, but simply don't have time for it right now. I feel like all of Atlus's JRPGS are so difficult to get back into if you don't touch them for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by pk fire View Post
    Damn Shin.

I've probably gotten through 85% of Persona 3, but haven't picked it up in months. I love the series, but simply don't have time for it right now. I feel like all of Atlus's JRPGS are so difficult to get back into if you don't touch them for a week.
    I find that it helps to play in bursts, sometimes, though. Especially with Persona 4, since going into it I already knew pretty well the whole story and whatnot from the animation and prior curiosity/wiki shenanigans. Taking it a dungeon at a time really has made it a much more enjoyable experience. I know I burned through Persona 3 in the length of a week or two, and I didn't end up appreciating it as much as I could have (most of the damn time I spent grinding in Tartarus, anyways, so my memories are sort of muddled by those long, tiring grinding sessions).

And I find that it's not too hard to get back into them. If you enjoy a game enough to go back to it, you'll surely find a fierce longing to play it sooner or later. And when you do, you'll go in full-force.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    All of you who can't complete Demon's or Dark Souls need to stop what you're doing and go play those games up. Chug some energy drinks to stay up.
    As for me, I need to play Etrian Odyssey 4: Legend of the Titan. I'm on the second area still. The place with red cliffs.

Edit: Zelos, any class can beat the Vanguard... But only if you're a bad enough dude to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Scion of the House of Blue Lions View Post
    All of you who can't complete Demon's or Dark Souls need to stop what you're doing and go play those games up. Chug some energy drinks to stay up.
    As for me, I need to play Etrian Odyssey 4: Legend of the Titan. I'm on the second area still. The place with red cliffs.

Edit: Zelos, any class can beat the Vanguard... But only if you're a bad enough dude to do it.
    Don't really care for Dark Souls, which is the problem. I'm a much bigger fan of Demon's Souls and how it uses stages as opposed to an open-world. It's an alright game, but I just can't seem to find the same spark that made Demon's Souls such a pleasure for me to play through in the first place (in fact, I like Demon's Souls enough that I've played through it multiple times).

Quote Originally Posted by Marche100 View Post
    I beat every single side-quest in the game, did all the daedric quests, guild quests, what have you, but in my joy to have completed all that, I forgot that I still had two story missions left to beat, and I didn't realize it until long after I had put the game down.
    See, I think that tends to be the problem. We spend so much time working on 100% completion that we lose interest at 99%. I guess the lesson is "don't go for 100% on your first playthrough".

Quote Originally Posted by Last Scion of the House of Blue Lions View Post

Well yeah, but it's actually going to take work. Royal's destroy him in a matter of seconds.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter345 View Post
    Hahah. All of these current generation games that are the oldest in peoples' backlogs.
    I always consider a game as part of my backlog if I still have some sort of desire to finish it someday. There are lots of PS1 games that I never finished but I've pretty much abandoned them at this point.

Those damn Digimon World games for example. The third one, especially. I was very close to the end but I lost my save file when I let my cousin borrow my memory card and then his house got flooded.

"You don't wanna go down that long road again, do you?"

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    I have so many PS1, N64, and Dreamcast games that I haven't even loaded up yet. I always feel so lucky to find them, but I rarely end up playing them.