Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Gamers over age 40 only, strictly for mature discussions about video gaming.

This video should be required viewing for the senior citizen gamer curriculum.

Pwnd
    Got bored with that rather quickly. Look Danbro. I get tired of seeing kids strike they little poses.

Imma put some Chuck Fuckin' D up in this bitch.

SHIT! Man that's Dre. I...oh god I just mistook Dre for D.

My heart aches from the fucked up racism.

I'm also drunk. You probably noticed.

so terrible

- - - Updated - - -

still a good song tho

Yep.

Pwnd
    I thought that would be funny man. I'm sorry.

I blame the south.

Seriously though, that song has some good lyrics to it and oh shit I'm about to be crucified again

- - - Updated - - -

i expressed it to my full capabilities.

Pwnd
    At least we don't discriminate by age though, right?

[Level 2: Human]
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday Legend View Post
    That's a double-edged sword.

There's not as many mature game players out there, in terms of age and what content is being sought.
    Therefore, there's not as many games that go there.
    If one raises before the other, it would have to be the audience, not the games. The audience has to be there in order for the games to be made. That's just the simple truth of the matter.
    Well, that is the old chicken and egg argument used in the early days of every industry. When cars first came out, where were people going to get gas? Where were the paved roads? And so on.
    My argument is simple. if I am over 65 years old, and I play all kinds of video games, though mostly shooters and action/RPGs, almost anyone my age can do it. If I can play Halo, so can any other 65 year old. If I can play Dishonored, so can any other 65 year old. So it's not a question of having to create new kinds of games for old people. It's about trying to market the ones we have, and have had for many years, to older people as a pastime they too can do.
    But you have to teach people HOW to play a video game. Kids who grow up with these things pick them up naturally by trial and error. But adults have to be taught in a methodical way. Many kids in poor countries have learned to drive a car without schooling. But even a teenager wanting a license has to go to a driving school. After a certain age, you have to be taught.

Anyhow, it is not a question of the content. It's a question of how to appeal to potential older customers to think about it, and how to teach them to actually do it. I KNOW that video games are good for me. I know they keep me going. That by comparison, reading books and watching movies are boring compared to playing a good video game. But how to get that message to others of my age, and then how to teach them how to play is indeed a challenge. Not the contents of the games, but the approach to get older people (1) interested, and (2) to learn how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jgarbuz View Post
    Well, that is the old chicken and egg argument used in the early days of every industry. When cars first came out, where were people going to get gas? Where were the paved roads? And so on.
    The problem with that argument is that we are faaaaaaaaaarrrrrr from the early days of the vg industry. Have the media stop touting video games as tools of the devil and you've got a start. Perception is a huge problem. When the industry is a scapegoat for the horrible things that some criminals do, you'll have a hard time getting past generations to buy into it as something good. You know, because "back in my day."

Back in my day Bumblebee was a Volkswagen.

Sent from my phone because it pisses off Everyday Legend and Revulooshun.
    This makes me so much better than Gyrael.

Quote Originally Posted by digtastik View Post
    The problem with that argument is that we are faaaaaaaaaarrrrrr from the early days of the vg industry. Have the media stop touting video games as tools of the devil and you've got a start. Perception is a huge problem. When the industry is a scapegoat for the horrible things that some criminals do, you'll have a hard time getting past generations to buy into it as something good. You know, because "back in my day."
    Well, some in the industry feel they need to keep that "bad boy" image in order to hold on to many in the mainstream teenage audience. Especially the Grand Theft Auto devotees, much like the followers of "gangsta" hip hop.
    But what I'm saying is that the industry could put out, for example, a commercial showing a grandfather and a grandson or granddaughter playing Batman together for example, or something like that. Some indication from the industry giving older people a clue that they too can enjoy doing the same thing their grandkids are doing. But the industry won't do the tiniest thing to try to attract anyone who is over age 40. They just see them as forever outside their demographic.

Old people tend to get pretty set in their ways.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    lol you old

Quote Originally Posted by blehman View Post
    lol you old
    aren't you due that OG badge?

aren't you due that OG badge?
    I don't know what that is.

Also, I should be seeing you soon, correct? I hope you like beer.

If by soon you mean in about 3 weeks, then maybe. I do like beer though.

The OG badge is the old gamer badge, but I just remembered it's over 35. You aren't quite there.

If by soon you mean in about 3 weeks, then maybe. I do like beer though.

The OG badge is the old gamer badge, but I just remembered it's over 35. You aren't quite there.
    No, but I'm getting closer every day.

Yup. Nobody wants to play with them anymore :)

Old people tend to get pretty set in their ways.
    Yup. It's another reason why playing video games is good for them. Questions is, how to get through to them?

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Start when they're young. The generations that grew up with videogames will likely turn to videogames as they hit retirement. Perhaps, if you want to get the current generation of elders to play, you need to produce some kind of study that proves it's beneficial for their health/mind/what have you. Otherwise, I'm not too sure how you'd go about getting older folks to play games, apart from waiting for some of the game players today to become older.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Scion of the House of Blue Lions View Post
    Start when they're young. The generations that grew up with videogames will likely turn to videogames as they hit retirement. Perhaps, if you want to get the current generation of elders to play, you need to produce some kind of study that proves it's beneficial for their health/mind/what have you. Otherwise, I'm not too sure how you'd go about getting older folks to play games, apart from waiting for some of the game players today to become older.
    I don't need any "studies." I know it for a fact. The industry could do more, but it too has no interest in trying to attract older customers. I can't even get any of my old friends to even try. It's really amazing how closed minded people are, and not just old people. All people. Unfortunately.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarbuz View Post
    I don't need any "studies." I know it for a fact. The industry could do more, but it too has no interest in trying to attract older customers. I can't even get any of my old friends to even try. It's really amazing how closed minded people are, and not just old people. All people. Unfortunately.
    "Knowing" something for a fact isn't particularly encouraging. If it could be proven that videogames are good for whatever you want to say that they're good for, then maybe you might ignite a spark of interest. People say they know things for a fact all the time, that doesn't necessarily make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Scion of the House of Blue Lions View Post
    "Knowing" something for a fact isn't particularly encouraging. If it could be proven that videogames are good for whatever you want to say that they're good for, then maybe you might ignite a spark of interest. People say they know things for a fact all the time, that doesn't necessarily make it true.
    Who are the academics going to "study?" How many my age are playing? They would have to first teach a whole bunch of 40+ people how to play, then observe them for months and years actually playing, before they could write up their "study."

But here is what I know just from the last few days. I've had some unusual stomach pains for over a week now which I will check out with a doctor next week. Nothing could take my mind off the pain. Then I got a game in the mail from Gamefly, and popped it in and started to play and almost immediately it took my mind off the pain. Reading or watching a movie couldn't do it, but getting interactive with a game did the trick. It didn't eliminate the pains, but it got my mind completely off of them.

Anyhow, my opinion the industry should start with a TV ad targeting seniors with the following slogan: "Games ain't for kids anymore; and are Good for You Too." I would show a picture of grandpa his grandkid playing Batman, with the kid jumping up and down exclaiming, "You did it grandpa! You beat the Joker." Or something like that. Basically, the industry has to start the ball rolling, if it wanted to expand its market share into this utterly overlooked demographic.