Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Gamers over age 40 only, strictly for mature discussions about video gaming.

[Level 2: Human]

Wanted: Gamers over age 40 only, strictly for mature discussions about video gaming.

As a 67 year old gamer, needless to say, not many in my age group to share experiences. My "baby boomers" and now baby bummers have almost totally decided not to participate in this fabulous interactive gaming experience. I don't want to talk to "kids," that is, who for present purposes I will define as people under age 40. Nothing to discuss with them. Just looking for mature adults interested in this medium and what we can do to make it more appealing to our age group. If there is anyone out there, let's talk.

We're all mature adults here.

Totally.

Toooooootally.

I think we have one user over 40. A bunch of us are in our 30's, most in the 20's, and a handful under that.

We ain't so bad, if you'll have us.

Pwnd
    Have you ever read Lord of the Flies?

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bloodspray View Post
    I think we have one user over 40. A bunch of us are in our 30's, most in the 20's, and a handful under that.

Yeah, that's about right. And to assume or say young-ins are incapable of "strictly mature" discussion is fairly insulting. I'll just be upfront and go as far as to say it's not a very "mature" thing to think either. To be honest. Sorry.

Welcome regardless.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I'm 18 and I can have as much of a mature conversation about games as you want.

I'm not 100% sure if you're implying that "young people" like me can't have a mature discussion or if you're saying that you just want to talk with people in your age group just because you'd like to talk to someone more your age, but I assure you that while there are certainly kids who don't take games seriously and can't hold a serious discussion, there are people in your age group who are unable to have that serious discussion you long for, as well. Maturity doesn't necessarily come with age, after all.

Heck, I've been having serious/mature discussions about games since I was back in middle school. It just varies from person to person on if/when they'll be able to have such a discussion.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    Whoops, forgot to ask: Do you have any favorites? If so, what are they?

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    31, single father of two. Raised by my Grandparents and used to hanging out with older folks. As has been said though, not many of us over 30. Either way, welcome.

That's not a knife...

"handful"

I'm more than a handful bby.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    I'm not a fan of putting mandatory age restrictions on social interactions, especially when you attach subjective terms like "mature".

I have only ever used 2 age restrictions with peoples:

1. 18 and over if I'm worried about pedophilia.

2. 21 and over if I don't want to get in trouble for accidentally supplying a minor with alcohol.

Otherwise, you should do your best to let people prove themselves before attaching a label to them.

Also, ZomiePlatypus really "nailed it".

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    2. 21 and over if I don't want to get in trouble for accidentally supplying a minor with alcohol.
    Did I say 18? I meant 24.

Now cough up the booze.

[Level 2: Human] Princess Cotton Candy Cupcakes's Avatar
    u r in luk!! watashi don't look it but watashi is actually 41 nd half ^.^

watooshy like to bake cupcakes nd comprain about th meenie weenie gobermint (thats wat aduls do)

add pls my aol is prttyprttyprncss420@fairymail.com domo arigato!!

Juice Box
    I love you, ZP.

Quote Originally Posted by jgarbuz View Post
    As a 67 year old gamer, needless to say, not many in my age group to share experiences. My "baby boomers" and now baby bummers have almost totally decided not to participate in this fabulous interactive gaming experience. I don't want to talk to "kids," that is, who for present purposes I will define as people under age 40. Nothing to discuss with them. Just looking for mature adults interested in this medium and what we can do to make it more appealing to our age group. If there is anyone out there, let's talk.
    You must have a rollicking time on xbox live.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I don't think you can ever weed out the riff-raff, but if you start a discussion on a topic you're interested in you can just respond to the people you choose. Also assume the highly sarcastic interpretation of many things that happen around here. It's just safer that way.

You're not BAD; you're just young. Or to put it another way, I'm just Old.

Seriously, I see this medium as being overly dominated by youth. And by "youth," I mean under age 40. I wish I were young again too, but I'm not.
    For example, I have no interest in comic books, nor in any "games" of that genre. The only exception over the last year was the Amazing Spider Man game, which I thought was pretty decent for a comic book character game. I loved cartoons when I was a kid; I don't watch them anymore. Sorry. I'm just old.
    So what kind of "games" do I personally like?
    Mostly the AAA "interactive movie" types that a lot of "kids" do not like. That's because they have stories and plots. They have realistic looking characters, and not comic book type characters.
    I like Uncharted. I do not like Borderlands. I liked Deus Ex. I do not like Batman. I did like the original Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) but was not crazy about most of its successors.
    I liked Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne and the most recent Tomb Raiders, etc. I liked DOOM 3 back in the day too.

I do not play online multiplayer because I am not competing with anyone, nor have to prove my machismo at this age. I just play games by myself, in "campaign" mode, and not looking to socialize with anyone. I'm a grumpy old man just looking to discuss the more mature games with older people - if there are any around - to spread the enjoyment of this exciting medium to an older audience that has missed out.
    Not looking for fanboy-types or exchanging rank outs with kids. Just mature conversation about mature games. Anyone under age 40 who can do that, is also welcome.
    Just no silly, kiddie nonsense.

Lord of the Flies? You mean BaalZevuvim? The title of that famous novel comes from the Bible, "BaalZebub." Of course I read it about 50 years ago. It's "kids gone wild" and how devilish they can become. You know that children are just wild animals that have to be civilized. Every decent mother knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboKill View Post
    Whoops, forgot to ask: Do you have any favorites? If so, what are they?
    My favorites? Mostly AAA titles. I played some 500 videogames in my day. The titles that stand out in my mind are KOTOR, Doom 3; Deus Ex; in more recent years Red Dead Redemption; Max Payne; Uncharted; the most recent Tomb Raider; and waiting to soon play Last of Us. Basically those are the kinds of "games" that keep me going. I am NOT interested in DMC, or God of War, or Borderlands, or most comic book titles, nor most platformers and puzzle games, except used in a moderate way such as in Uncharted or in the latest Tomb Raider. I liked Halo and of course the military titles such as CoD and even Gears of War. So my taste is limited, I have no time nor interest in "indies" or arcade-type games. I'm more into "interactive movies" than in gameplay. I despise having to fight bosses but what can I do? I know that a computer programmer can make the computer beat anybody, so it's pointless. Exciting, but usually pointless. I can't enjoy a game that is too challenging and too frustrating. I try to ENJOY the experience, not get angry and frustrated by it. That's why old folk don't play them because they do not know what to do, and so never even start in the first place. It's why I want to talk to other old people about it, and what can be done to get more old people like myself involved in this wonderful virtual world. More of us should be doing this, since we have the time on our hands, and usually more money than kids to waste on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilKenSebben View Post
    31, single father of two. Raised by my Grandparents and used to hanging out with older folks. As has been said though, not many of us over 30. Either way, welcome.
    I guess you're okay, being a father of two kids and all. Single usually means divorced too. So I guess you're "mature enough" to join my seniors group if you want.
    So what kind of games are you into? What turns you on most in the area of video gaming? Why do you play?

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I can be mature when I want. I usually go full bore young idiot on the internet though. Only way to do it left for me anymore. Thanks for letting me in man. If it helps I do have a bunch of gray and a receding hairline too.

As for what I play. I like it all. I've been into a lot of indies lately, due to them providing me with that wonder I used to feel in the late 80s and 90s, but I also play AAA games as well. I love FPS, Strategy, RPGs and racing mainly. My current roster of games is: Spelunky, Shadowrun Returns, Trackmania 2, Burnout Paradise, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Fallen Enchantress and Mercenary Kings. I see you like Deus Ex, that's one of my favorite series as well. Just got the Missing Link for HR. Also just got Doom II and Hexen and am using those source engine updates to replay them after knock a couple more games off my current roster.