Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GameCity 8: October 19th-26th, Nottingham

GameCity 8: October 19th-26th, Nottingham

I could wax lyrical about GameCity for days, but I'll try and keep it short. GameCity perhaps unsurprisingly from the name is in its eighth year in Nottingham, yet it's quite likely you've never attended. (For the record, tales of our stabbings are greatly over-exaggerated.) The festival note that it's not a convention is held over eight days at various venues in the city centre. It's been held in large marquees in Market Square in recent years, but this year it's going to be completely open to the public. The festival is free, though there may be specific events that you'll have to purchase tickets for.

I've been to Eurogamer (three times), gamescom (never again), Rezzed, and PAX, but none of them hold a candle to GameCity. In a nutshell, it's a grassroots celebration of gaming culture. There's no darkened convention hall, no booths, no queues, no corporate shilling, no fanboyism. Just (predominately) indie games and the people who make them. GameCity is beyond cynicism and that's probably the highest praise I can give.

It's deliberately organised to take place during half-term and it's unapologetically a family event. Children draw on chalkboards around university students doing game jams while parents jump on trampolines with Move controllers courtesy of Venus Patrol. There's talks over breakfast every morning that take place in local halls and cinemas, and various panels and demonstrations throughout the day from names such as Leigh Alexander and Peter Molyneux.

The events continue well into the night, with an ethereal Proteus Live demonstration from creators Ed Key and David Kanaga being my personal highlight last year. (The Kozilek and Phil Fish DJ set might well have been, had I not been doing homework.) There was also a Renga event in our independent cinema and Adam and I even braved going to a vegetarian, alcohol-free café to play Mario Kart 64. Surprisingly enjoyable experience.

There's very little information in the way of scheduled events available right now, but I'll keep you posted as that changes. Just keep the dates in mind! I'd imagine most of you will only want to do a couple of days, so plan wisely.

I do, of course, live in Nottingham and will happily put up as many as I can, but a lot of you have expressed interest and I just don't have the space to take you all. (Doesn't help that I'm breaking in some new housemates, either.) There's a Holiday Inn Express in the city centre that's both a ten-minute walk from my house and a stone's throw away from the Market Square, so it may be worth getting a large room and getting as many people in as we can.

tl;dr Ignore all that, watch the video, hit me up with any questions. This is my city and I'd love to show you it.

— Beccy

MORE LAME LAMECITY 8

I am super exited for this.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I'm currently trying to figure out how to get up there!

Make it happen and I'll deal with the rest. You have absolute dibs on crashing with me.

[Level 5: Mech]

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I can't imagine I'll do the whole thing, but I shall certainly make it up for a day or two at the least. A floor, sofa or moderately priced chain inn suit me equally well. I'll work out exactly which days when they've filled out their schedule further. (Or, failing that, when y'all have picked which day to get most trashed on.)

Yeah, things'll be a lot easier when we have a schedule. As I say, I'd love to have every single one of you, but it's university term time and one of my housemates is teaching staff on top of that. I can't be imposing on them this early on! We'll figure something out.

Should be easy for me to go. I wish I could chill out at Nottingham for the entire week but I'll have stuff to do then no doubt. I should definitely be able to visit during the weekend though.

Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic View Post
    Yeah, things'll be a lot easier when we have a schedule. As I say, I'd love to have every single one of you, but it's university term time and one of my housemates is teaching staff on top of that. I can't be imposing on them this early on! We'll figure something out.
    I'll sleep in the attic.

That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post
    Should be easy for me to go. I wish I could chill out at Nottingham for the entire week but I'll have stuff to do then no doubt. I should definitely be able to visit during the weekend though.
    Heh, I know the feeling. Doing an MRes means I'm responsible for all my own hours and scheduling, so I can't let myself get distracted for eight days.

[Level 5: Mech]

#YOLO

Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic View Post
    Heh, I know the feeling. Doing an MRes means I'm responsible for all my own hours and scheduling, so I can't let myself get distracted for eight days.
    I don't think I would be capable of that. I'll try not to distract you Beccy [Redacted]. I'll pretend that I've got to do work too while there so you get all proud of me.

YOU ONLY GRADUATE ONCE. Unless you want a Master's, PhD, and a sense of self-worth you only derive from academia.

#YOGO

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post
    I don't think I would be capable of that. I'll try not to distract you Beccy [Redacted]. I'll pretend that I've got to do work too while there so you get all proud of me.
    I'm always proud of you.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Perhaps I'll go this year.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Ratio of kids to adults? I'd love to go to this, it seems genuinely fun. The family friendly thing does have me a little apprehensive though, I am of a nervous disposition and nothing upsets me like hordes of children vocally expressing their excitement. Sad, I know. Are there more adult places to go and get away from it all? The Mario Kart joint sounds like my cup of tea, but no drink makes me wonder if it will be full of kids. I'm not even going to bother asking if there's an 18+ area.

I'd assume there will be plenty that won't appeal to kids or will be out of bounds to them.

I don't know when I'll be going, but I'll be going. If y'all are going to do the weekend I'll at least do that, and depending on timetable might go at another time in the week on business.

Quote Originally Posted by thymeparadox View Post
    Ratio of kids to adults? I'd love to go to this, it seems genuinely fun. The family friendly thing does have me a little apprehensive though, I am of a nervous disposition and nothing upsets me like hordes of children vocally expressing their excitement. Sad, I know. Are there more adult places to go and get away from it all? The Mario Kart joint sounds like my cup of tea, but no drink makes me wonder if it will be full of kids. I'm not even going to bother asking if there's an 18+ area.
    Actual children are less worse than menchildren.

(I agree with Sam.)

There's plenty of children during the day, but it's not a case of them running amok and screaming bloody murder. They're usually quietly engrossed in the games! You won't find them at the late night events; anything in a bar is obviously a no-go.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Well, it's not that the happiness of children upsets me, I certainly don't mind them enjoying themselves, I don't even mind being around them, I just tend to find it difficult to relax and enjoy myself when they are uncontrollably loud. That can apply to anyone, not just children, but it is amazing how such small creatures can so effortlessly occupy such large spaces. I have agoraphobia so it's generally best that I avoid getting myself into certain situations.

It seems a lot more interesting than most of what I'll see at Eurogamer, and the lack of admission charge is a huge deal for me, so we'll see. I want to go, I just don't want to get arrested for throwing a toddler.

The happiness of children does upset me.

Quote Originally Posted by thymeparadox View Post
    Well, it's not that the happiness of children upsets me, I certainly don't mind them enjoying themselves, I don't even mind being around them, I just tend to find it difficult to relax and enjoy myself when they are uncontrollably loud. That can apply to anyone, not just children, but it is amazing how such small creatures can so effortlessly occupy such large spaces. I have agoraphobia so it's generally best that I avoid getting myself into certain situations.

It seems a lot more interesting than most of what I'll see at Eurogamer, and the lack of admission charge is a huge deal for me, so we'll see. I want to go, I just don't want to get arrested for throwing a toddler.
    Honestly, it's a lot quieter than gamescom or even Eurogamer. There just aren't the numbers to generate that kind of noise. As I say, the kids are usually engrossed in what they're doing and as they're old enough to be playing the game anyway, there doesn't tend to be many toddlers. At any rate, they won't be at the talks/panels and late night events, so please, don't let them put you off the entire event!