Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: That meat-face avatar thing kind of freaks me out a little.

That meat-face avatar thing kind of freaks me out a little.

Hello, my online alias/pen-name/whatever is Dino. I'm in my late 20's, female, married, and currently living in Texas. No kids or anything, just...cats.

I was trying to branch out into a new online community to discuss games and media and whatnot (and hopefully find fun new people to play stuff with), and Destructoid seemed the least angry, so I thought I'd see how I fit in.

If I had to list a handful of my current favorite games, I'd probably have to go with Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Timesplitters, Metroid Prime, the Arkham games, Etrian Odyssey, and Shin Megami Tensei (not too huge on Persona, not that I ever really gave the series a fair chance). I used to play a fair bit of Starcraft II, but my interest in the game has waned considerably in the last year or so.

I also started getting hooked on fighters a week before EVO, so I'm been trying out all the major games released in the last 5 years or so. I'm still really awful at the genre, and my entire skillset basically revolves around blocking and waiting for the opponent to get bored before I crouching hard kick them.

My currently most played platforms are probably the PS3, 3DS, and the Wii U (entirely for Monster Hunter). I have a decent PC and it's my preferred platform, but it's been ages since I actually looked forward to a non-console game release since I don't enjoy most first-person-shooters.

Aside from games, I enjoy comics (I like both DC and Marvel, but I probably read more DC just because I'm more familiar with the characters), pro-wrestling, Godzilla, some anime and manga (just started getting into JoJo a few months ago), sci-fi books and movies, and cooking. I'm just someone that tries to enjoy a lot of little things, but nothing in particular on an extreme savant level.

Aside from that, I just generally consider myself a fairly laid-back, slightly shy individual that looks forward to annoying you all for the unforeseeable future.

Beast Master
    Niiiiice intro. I'm digging the retro Godzilla art avatar.

If you ever want more cats I can mail you two in a box with holes in the lid.

I think I'd get evicted if I got any more cats.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    Nice intro, welcome! Do you make cat videos? I hear those are "in". What platform do you play them fightin's on?

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Welcome to the Forums!
    We're all pretty laid back here, except for those of us who aren't.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Scion of the House of Blue Lions View Post
    He's referring to me on that last bit. I just hate mods though. Anyway I hope you'll have fun here.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboKill View Post
    Nice intro, welcome! Do you make cat videos? I hear those are "in". What platform do you play them fightin's on?
    I did one Youtube video of my cat. It was of the younger one watching my fish tank all cute and stuff, but I was a total fraud and aimed a laser pointer in the tank to make my cat look more active than she really is. Normally, all she does is sleep and eat the giant cockroaches skittering in my apartment (which is totally fine by me).

Also I play fighters on PS3. I had an Xbox for a while, but it just felt redundant since I stopped playing Halo after 3 and everything else I owned was multiplat, so I traded it all in and went straight Playstation.

I see there's a Friday Night Fight section, would I have any chance of finding other people as terrible as I am to practice with, FNF or otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Scion of the House of Blue Lions View Post
    Welcome to the Forums!
    That's a really cute animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos Geist View Post
    He's referring to me on that last bit. I just hate mods though. Anyway I hope you'll have fun here.
    I'm too chicken to actually play that video.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    Welcome aboard!

Do you like Godzilla vs Megalon? It's my favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Welcome aboard!

Do you like Godzilla vs Megalon? It's my favorite!
    I watched it a couple of nights ago actually, I like it for the laughs, especially the idea of a giant robot shaking hands with Godzilla at the end. Even funnier when you can tell the guy in the Jet Jaguar suit can't see all that well through his eye holes. Current favorite Godzilla right now is probably Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, I think it's one of the last movies Toho made.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Welcome welcome. Good intro and I think so long as you don't get easily offended by liberal doses of sarcasm you'll be just fine. You'll find a lot of fighting game fans if you are looking for people to play with or train/learn with. Any specific fighter that has been your go to lately? Also, Persona is pretty great, but I do prefer the darker themes of SMT more. You'll find a pretty strong love of that series as well here.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Hey. Welcome to the basement.

Also, lots of fighting game players here. Lots of people willing to teach you anything you want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoraur View Post
    I watched it a couple of nights ago actually, I like it for the laughs, especially the idea of a giant robot shaking hands with Godzilla at the end. Even funnier when you can tell the guy in the Jet Jaguar suit can't see all that well through his eye holes. Current favorite Godzilla right now is probably Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, I think it's one of the last movies Toho made.
    Yep, it's so much fun. I should say it's my favorite fight scene. I actually hate the rest of the movie. The geeky guys with the too-short-shorts kid, the white guys in Atlantis, it's just painful. It makes me sad cause I like Jet Jaguar, but I'm pretty sure I read that since the movie was a flop they put him in the corner. I'm glad you can appreciate it for what it is, most Godzilla fans I've met hate the movie and say it's the worst. I think that title belongs to Son of Godzilla myself.

I think the last proper one I saw was Godzilla 2k in the theater. That was pretty great. I'm kinda in the mood to watch them now so maybe I'll get caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantHige View Post
    Welcome welcome. Good intro and I think so long as you don't get easily offended by liberal doses of sarcasm you'll be just fine. You'll find a lot of fighting game fans if you are looking for people to play with or train/learn with. Any specific fighter that has been your go to lately? Also, Persona is pretty great, but I do prefer the darker themes of SMT more. You'll find a pretty strong love of that series as well here.
    I'm not a particularly serious person, so I think it'll be okay.

I think I'm more attracted to the mainline SMT games because they usually have the story supplement the gameplay, instead of making it a constant focus. From what I understood, Devil Survivor feels more like a Persona game as far as story goes, and to me, that the was the least appealing part of the game.

As far as fighters go, I've spent most of the last month with SFIVAE, but I've spent some time in Injustice as well (I know it's not a great game, but I enjoy it for what it is). I've also tried some Marvel, Soul Calibur V, KoF13, and TTT2, but I haven't really committed much time to any of them. There's a copy of Persona 4 Arena, but that was more to satisfy my husband's curiosity than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday Legend View Post
    Lots of people willing to teach you anything you want to know.
    How I git gud

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    the white guys in Atlantis
    I think part of the what makes the movies so fun is how xenophobic they can be. I think it was the 90's King Ghidorah where the villains are a group of ugly white people that travel back in time to fuck up Japan because they're unhappy that Japan becomes the most successful nation in the world.

I'd like you to educate me on me Godzilla movies. I hear there's a lot of them.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    Don't bother with the 1998 one. Try anything else. Even the PS2 game, if you like. That's about it.

THE MR.E BIRD
    I've got a cat on my ankle. The point I'm trying to make is hello and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboKill View Post
    Don't bother with the 1998 one. Try anything else. Even the PS2 game, if you like. That's about it.
    To this day that's the only movie I've walked out on early. Take Turbo's advice. I'd also suggest avoiding Son of Godzilla. It's just painful IMO.

Also I totally see what you're saying Dino. I always thought the white Atlanteans were out of place, but making white people look like suckers is xenophobia in it's own right. If I look at it in that light I can actually appreciate it, no matter how bad the acting and dubbing in those scenes are.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    Oh, forgot about the Son one. For some reason, I'm drawing parallels between the '98 one and Dead Rising 3. They took something with so much character and an iconic look to it, and just decided to appeal to the lowest common denominator. No offense to the lcd. Okay, maybe a little.