Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting Thread

[Level 6: Robot]

Sporting Thread

I couldn't help but notice the lack of an all around sporting thread (believe me, I looked). So I thought it was time to devote a general thread to sporting events and fans of all sorts.

Talk about your favorite sports or your favorite teams here. Could be MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, NCAA....Cricket, whatever floats your boat. Maybe we can even stir up a little smack talk up in hurrr!

So what teams do you follow?

MLB: Kansas City Royals (who are playing EXTREMELY well right now) and the Tampa Bay Rays.
    NFL: Kansas City Chiefs (first team offense scored 10 unanswered last night in the preseason).
    NCAA: Missouri Tigers and my alma mater, DII Northwest Missouri State University (Bearcats bleed green baby).

Still responds to BLOO
    We have them, they died out.

Fuck the Houston Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Garfria View Post
    We have them, they died out.
    Well that's a damn shame. BRINGIN' IT BACK!

*crickets continue to chirp*

Whatevs guys, hataz gon' hate. Anyway, Royals lose game 3 of the Series to Boston, still up 2 games to 1. The finale is tonight, hopefully they can take the series with a W.

Awwwwww sheeit, a Chiefs fan? Les go. Ignore Hecturd, he's a Raider bitch.

Da Chieves starters looked badass Friday night. Special teams threatened on every return, in the new D scheme Dontari Poe was getting to pressure the QB (!), I just loved every aspect of the first unit guys. The backups, not so much. But hey, Chiefs QB competency! Yay! I haven't been this excited about a group of Chiefs players in a while. DEY GONE WIN SUM GAEMS SON.

In closing, fuck Peyton and the Donkeys, and mother fuck the Rai-durrs.

I hope everybody has a good time and gets home safely.

There is a guy in the hospital who got beat up by cholos a few years ago because the Giants beat the Dodgers.

Or something.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I'm an NHL fan first and foremost, fell free to hate but I'm a Pens fan (born and raised in Pittsburgh so I'm not a "bandwagon fan" that everyone on NHL forums seem to yell about constantly). I used to follow football a lot but for whatever reason I'm having trouble getting into it the last few seasons. Not expecting too much from the Steelers this year.

Right now though it is all about the Pirates around here. Their last winning season was when I was 6 so I've had no reason to care about baseball until the last few years. It's weird actually looking forward to a baseball game since I grew up hating it.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I'm a Wisconsin sports fan. It goes without saying that the Brewers season so far has been a huge let down. When you're below the Cubs in the standings, something's definitely wrong.

NFL wise, I'm hoping the Packers can actually have a running game this year and finally push them back into the Superbowl picture. If they don't have a running game they'll still be a shoe-in for the playoffs though because honestly the rest of the NFC North division is stupidly over-rated. The Lions have a bunch of big names but never actually win, the Bears have a massively overrated QB and an old team, the Vikings are a one-man team and are mediocre everywhere else.

I don't follow the Bucks because the NBA in general is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantHige View Post
    I'm an NHL fan first and foremost, fell free to hate but I'm a Pens fan (born and raised in Pittsburgh so I'm not a "bandwagon fan" that everyone on NHL forums seem to yell about constantly). I used to follow football a lot but for whatever reason I'm having trouble getting into it the last few seasons. Not expecting too much from the Steelers this year.

Right now though it is all about the Pirates around here. Their last winning season was when I was 6 so I've had no reason to care about baseball until the last few years. It's weird actually looking forward to a baseball game since I grew up hating it.
    I'm interested to see if the Pirates actually hold up in the second half of this season or if they fall apart again like the have the last couple of years. I'd just like to see someone besides the damn Cardinals win the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephzilla View Post
    I'm interested to see if the Pirates actually hold up in the second half of this season or if they fall apart again like the have the last couple of years. I'd just like to see someone besides the damn Cardinals win the division.
    Well, the sweep from the Rockies didn't help that is for sure. Still have 3 games or so on the Cards though. I'm not sure how the perception is out there, but people around here have always been using the Brewers as a barometer for the Bucs. We got blown out by them for so long that we considered you guys a rival even though I doubt the Brewers gave it any thought. Lately though the Reds have been the number one rival with all the bean-ball games we've had with them since Cutch got pegged last year.

Hey, if we're both lucky maybe we can get another Steelers/Packers final. You guys are still the only ones to beat us in the Super Bowl.

The Brewers always seem to bring their A-game against the Pirates, I can't explain why.

A Packers/Steelers Super Bowl would be fun. Their SB a few years ago was a pretty entertaining game. There's a handful of teams I'd rather not see in the SB, the Steelers are thankfully not one of those teams on my list.

I'm very excited for Pittsburgh this year, they're playing GREAT baseball.

The Royals took 3 of 4 from Boston! Now they have a 3 game set vs. the Marlins. That, is what I'd like to call easy pickings. Then again, the Marlins swept the Royals earlier this season, so we'll see what happens.

Also getting excited for preseason Bearcat football (DII). Signed up for Alumni Band and everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    I'm very excited for Pittsburgh this year, they're playing GREAT baseball.

The Royals took 3 of 4 from Boston! Now they have a 3 game set vs. the Marlins. That, is what I'd like to call easy pickings. Then again, the Marlins swept the Royals earlier this season, so we'll see what happens.

Also getting excited for preseason Bearcat football (DII). Signed up for Alumni Band and everything!
    Alumni Band? What do you play?

Honestly, I'll probably rock the Souzy. But I play anything low brass (trombone, baritone, tuba)

I played trumpet for 8 years or so. I was in marching band solely because it was that or get a job... after a year of marching band I decided to get a job. I should probably pull out the old trumpet, give it a bath and play it a bit. Been too long.

Edit: In before innuendo jokes.

SF Giants are painful to watch right now.

Hoping the Rams (NFL) can not suck finally.

Heh...how's Jeff Francoeur working out for SF? Hate to say it...but I was happy the Royals let him go.

And it's been a while since the Rams a pretty good team. Maybe this year will be a break out year for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hansen View Post
    SF Giants are painful to watch right now.

Hoping the Rams (NFL) can not suck finally.
    No Steven Jackson + an over-rated head coach?

I'm selling on the Rams not sucking this year.

Francoeur's just a platoon guy to pop in and out on occasion as we keep shaking up lineups to figure out why we're like .075 with RISP since the All Star break.

When the starting pitching struggled this year, that was appropriately mystifying.

But in the this recent spat of sucking (last 20-30 games), the pitching's been back and we're back to no offense and losing games by one run four nights in a row. It's gross. Again.

@Sx: Rams were undefeated in the division last year. Doing something right. Finally have a receiving corps. Finally have a left tackle and a capable TE. The defense is really, really good. No RB hurts, but the team isn't filled with holes like years' past.

- - - Updated - - -

That Dwight tweet is fantastic.

I dont think the Rams will do anything this year, but at the same time I can't be surprised if they ended up contending. While everybody talked about how great the Niners and Seahawks were last year, I'm still not sold on either of their QBs being legit and if Kap or Wilson struggle this year it will hurt those two teams a lot.

Unrelated - So, I've been hearing some Wisconsin sports fans say they'll still cheer Ryan Braun after he comes back for his suspension. These are the same people who still say they'd boo Brett Favre if he ever stepped foot in Lambeau again. I've never been so ashamed to be a Brewer/Packer fan.