Thread: Sega Master System

[Level 6: Robot]

Sega Master System

I need an outside opinion before I go spending any serious money.

I grew up on the Master system (it's kind of a funny story how I ended up with one of these things growing up in Missouri, ask me about it and maybe I'll share the story sometime). ANYWAY, I was heartbroken when my d-bag brother sold the thing long, long ago. I grew a serious fondness of the console, and I never thought I'd see one ever again.

Well thanks to modern technology...and eBay, I can grab one and a few games online for under $100. The question is...is it worth it? If it breaks down...could I even get it fixed these days? Also, controllers....pretty sure they don't mainstream Master System controllers anymore.

Childhood nostalgia is priceless...but what would you do in this scenario? It's not like I don't have the money atm, it's just with a Steam account, and gba sp, a 3DS, a Vita and a PS4 in the forseeable future, do I want to re-invest in my childhood?

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated, thanks guys!

Still responds to BLOO
    Did you know the Sega Genesis 2 has audio distortion? And the Genesis 3 allows for 480p video quality with an S-Video adapter?

I bought a SMS complete in box, mint condition and 18 games last year (with Ys: The Vanished Omens and Phantasy Star!). Never owned one before, but I'm a collector. I don't use my SMS anymore because I have the Power Base Converter for my Genesis, but before that, I used it quite a bit. I'm a fan of it, with games like Shinobi, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Vampire, Double Dragon (The best console port!), Montzemuna's Revenge, Fantasy Zone I and II, and the 2 games mentioned before.

In short, as a man with 26 platforms and nearly 1,300 games, I say buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Garfria View Post
    Did you know the Sega Genesis 2 has audio distortion? And the Genesis 3 allows for 480p video quality with an S-Video adapter?
    Yes actually, the Genesis was a very unique console that changed with every reiteration it came out with.

@Shinobi13 The MS I originally owned had Alex Kidd in Shinobi World and Fantasy Zone, both were incredibly fun. I really miss those games.

Genesis 3 does not do 480p out of S-Video, or at all. No Genesis does.
    Infact, the first console to even do 480p was the Sega Dreamcast, and that's only if you have a VGA box for it.

Still responds to BLOO
    Ah you're right, Models 1 and 2 and even the CDX can output 480i with a SCART > Component adapter, but the Genesis 3 can do it with a simple S-video adapter.

I should've known the guy who cares about the word 'the' would get mad I used a p instead of the correct i.

Lol I didn't even distort the difference, which makes me look just as bad.

Ah you're right, Models 1 and 2 and even the CDX can output 480i with a SCART > Component adapter, but the Genesis 3 can do it with a simple S-video adapter.

I should've known the guy who cares about the word 'the' would get mad I used a p instead of the correct i.
    When you're wrong, you're wrong.
    Also, the Genesis only outputs a maximum of 320x448i resolution. It's just that TVs will upscale it to at least 480i.

But hey, since you brought up the SCART-to-Component adapter, I'll note that it also works for the SMS since it shares the same AV out as the model 1 Genesis, and makes a big difference in colour and sharpness.