Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: That Shining Moment

Pwnd

That Shining Moment

This is a pretty strange idea for a thread and I kinda doubt it'll take off. However, it's interesting to me so you're welcome along for the ride if you want.

We'll be discussing that moment when you were playing a game and it went all meta on you. As in, the narrative which was intended to be there had been changed by random factors, with the end result coming out so well that it seemed to have been ordained by a higher power than the devs who wrote it.

Last night as I was playing Skyrim, I left a town to find this.

Odd isn't it? It's some kind of a bug says I. I hadn't killed a dragon on my way in here and it's not like he just had a seizure or something. I look at it and say hmm, then I walk a little further down the road to see this.

Lol wat? It's that dead dragon again. Pretty funny I thought, must be because I have so many hours on this file. Bethesda is notorious for this kind of thing. I write it off again and go to do other stuff.

Now I didn't think to take pics of this next part but this is where things get weird. I had looked up Auriel's Bow and found out about the thing where you can shoot an arrow into the sun to cause a sunburst. Which doesn't make a lick of sense scientifically speaking but we're in TES world so it's all good. I fire an arrow into the sky to see what this will look like and it's pretty awesome what happens, it's like the Call Storm ability but with sunlight instead of lightning bolts. This goes on for a minute or so, I'm impressed by it, when suddenly...

...that freaking dragon falls down dead right behind me.

Now the first two times I saw the dragon he was already laying where he was found. This last time, he fell after I fired a shot which could have conceivably killed him. Except how could I have killed him after he had fallen dead twice?

The answer was so simple yet so insane.

Auriel's Bow is capable of not only making the sun explode, but can also cause a Dragon Break.

Before they patched out most of the bugs in the PC moment I had a lot of weird stuff happen in Skyrim - I remember walking into one store where the guy (Balthasar or something?) who usually had a full head of hair was now completely bald and looked as though he'd undergone extensive chemo therapy. And before the logical explanation struck me (bug) I started thinking of all the ways he could have got cancer in-game.

Also, I walked into a couple of stores where the owners went from normal people on one visit to missing body parts (sometimes eyes, sometimes, hair, heads, etc) the next, and it felt like Skyrim was playing a rather perverse and horrific practical joke on me, or turning into a horror game.

Can't really think of anything else outside of Skyrim.

Pwnd
    I almost posted this in the Skyrim thread because it's so specific. By that I mean you don't see these things with most other games. They happen, sure, but they have no significance outside of being random isolated incidents. You have to spend a lot of time with a long running series before you're immersed deeply enough to imagine these connections. Any other game and it would just seem like "wtf h4xx0rz".

As far as I'm concerned it's all canon though. Every bit of it. The Dragon Break could be used to explain every glitch imaginable but I really like how mine came together. I mean just look at it man. That is one broke ass dragon right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Son of a bitch. I should've thought someone had already published a plot point about someone breaking time and making an entire race disappear.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Son of a bitch. I should've thought someone had already published a plot point about someone breaking time and making an entire race disappear.
    I fucking love you man.

what i do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    index.jpg

Pwnd
    All of a sudden Dtoid feels right again.

I hope this won't be a temporary thing.

Might be temporary, but it will happen again, and again.

Time is cyclical.

Pwnd
    Such is the way of...

the dragon

because you got that glow

The movie is heartbreakingly awesome btw. One of my childhood favorites. Just listen to the words there man. This shit is genius.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Y'all need to quit being pussies. Man up.

Pwnd

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Doesn't count. Not sung by him.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I got Skyrim relatively late, so most of the bugs had already been patched out. I did have a couple of funny instances though. I was in Riften, in the lower level picking some locks at night. A guard spots me and aggro's. I shouted in a really loud, annoyed voice, "Aw, get the FUCK outta my face".
    The dude freezes in place, weapon drawn, and just stands there. I barely have time to raise an eyebrow before he starts backing up, calmly walking down the steps and into the canal until he disappears underwater without another word.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    You know how in Assassin's Creed 2, you're supposed to be storming the castle on your horse? Well, my horse didn't feel like storming the place. There's this point where you're supposed to jump over a broken part in the bridge, and the horse simply refused to do it. So I got off my horse, fought all the guards that had been chasing me, and started looking around the area to see how else I could get over the gap.

The horse had gone over to the other side of the gap by himself. He was standing there, looking at me. By the time I finally got to the other side of the gap, the horse had switched places with me. Again, staring at me. From that moment I decided horses are templars, and not to be trusted.

There were also 3 cutscenes in Brotherhood where I could walk right before a cutscene was supposed to happen. After moving, Ezio wouln't be in the cutscene anymore, but people would act as if he was still there. I just took that as Ezio having become better at his job.

Pwnd
    Haha nice. I especially like that last part. Ultimate stealth has been achieved!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu View Post
    I got Skyrim relatively late, so most of the bugs had already been patched out. I did have a couple of funny instances though. I was in Riften, in the lower level picking some locks at night. A guard spots me and aggro's. I shouted in a really loud, annoyed voice, "Aw, get the FUCK outta my face".
    The dude freezes in place, weapon drawn, and just stands there. I barely have time to raise an eyebrow before he starts backing up, calmly walking down the steps and into the canal until he disappears underwater without another word.
    And this is just...wow. I don't really even know what else to say about that.

Admin / Midget King
    When I'm playing The Walking Dead and one of the characters glitch teleport or something weird happens, I pretend it's insanity effects suffered by Lee, caused by the stress and guilt of all my shitty choices.

Pwnd
    Not really a glitch but in the general spirit of the thread; in that brief window of time before the script leak and ME3's final release, I liked thinking that the branching potentialities of Shepard's identity and choices were made possible due to dark matter having weakened the fabric of the time-space continuum.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    I saw Shepard have sex with a character that died earlier in my run.

Pwnd
    Dude, I just don't even. In my game Tali's face was a stock image from google while some sick asshole took the time to create a fully detailed model of Jessica Fucking Chobot.

AND THEN I WAS REAPER

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    That is a good point. Or, yeah I know what you mean.

Also given that this necrophiliac Shepard thing happened in ME3, part of me thinks of it as some really odd dream along with the rest of the other dream sequences.

Off topic, but the synthesis ending had me laughing. It was just too good.

21. 07-10-2013, 12:24 AM
    Reason
    the post this was responding to has disappeared