Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heya Gang, It's Jinx :)

dtoiddisco Heya Gang, It's Jinx :)

Heya guys. Here's a probably way too long introduction. Lots of pix and links because that's how I roll

I'm not new to Destructoid, but I haven't used the forums before. I've been commenting on articles and c-blogging for a long time, and even had a few blogs promoted. I'm now doing the Sunday C-Blog Recaps.

I was born in 1975 so I basically grew up with video games and the industry. I was a console gamer (2600, NES, Genesis, SNES, N64) until I got a PC in '98 and I haven't gone back minus snagging a used Gamecube for Twilight Princess. I try not to be a "PC elitist" (not always succeeding), but I think it's important to have a few of us who give the PC view of things here on Destructoid. I still follow the console gaming side of things, though, especially the technology.

Other fun/dumb crap about me, with pics where appropriate:

I did English in undergrad, and have a Masters in Cultural Anthropology. I'm working on my PhD right now, but struggling for a variety of personal reasons :/

I love computers, and I build and upgrade my own PCs. There is something immensely satisfying about it, I love using a machine *I* assembled to my needs rather than just a plastic box you plug in. For the other PC geeks, here's my system and specs. Nothing special at all, really:

10jinxpc620.jpg
    Phenom II x6 1090T 3.4ghz - 12GB DDR3 - HD6870 -27" 1080p monitor - Win7 64-bit
    I have 4 USB ports installed on the front - just like a console, and perfect for local multiplayer like Sonic Racing Transformed.

I also like clubbing and goth/industrial music, and I DJ occasionally as well:
    230672_151134321618461_2071387_n.jpg

Back when the Half-Life 1 mod scene was big, I was a community mapper and beta-tester for Action Half-Life. A lot of fun, and a great community. Wish I had the time/energy to get back into mapping. This is one of my maps- not too shappy-looking for being on a 15-year-old game engine, eh?
    620museum_b2c2.jpg
    Museum

My favorite "weapons of choice" as a gamer are my Logitech G400 mouse (MX518 before that) and Horipad EX2 Turbo (great D-pad!). I'm also using a really oddball keyboard atm, the Enermax Caesar. It's a weird keyboard, but it's built like a freaking Mag-Lite. You could bash someone's head in with it and it would still work. 3.2lbs O_O
    10mouse360pad620.jpg . 226415_10150175059339870_4840279_n.jpg

Anyway, sorry for the long intro. I'm vain. Or I just like sharing. I don't know lol.

Anyway, hello to everyone- those I know and those I don't

WHY CAN'T I SEE YOUR REPLIES?!
    Last edited by Jinx; 06-29-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: WTF

[Level 6: Robot]
    I hate heterosexual white males. Is this going to be an issue for you? Yeah, I recognize your mug from the frontpage. Talking shit about the wii. *shakes head in disgust. Also, welcome.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]

Quote Originally Posted by LeSamourai View Post
    I hate heterosexual white males. Is this going to be an issue for you? Yeah, I recognize your mug from the frontpage. Talking shit about the wii. *shakes head in disgust. Also, welcome.
    I have tried to temper my Wii U hate, as it's been over the top. I've apologized elsewhere, but I apologize again to you if that means anything.

As for my sexual orientation, race, and sex... they're really nobody's business by mine.

5. 06-29-2013, 10:15 PM

lol at you taking my post serious.

Quote Originally Posted by LeSamourai View Post
    lol at you taking my post serious.
    Everything's been so hostile around here lately I guess I'm just assuming the worst

btw check my comments on the Mario Kart 8 article and I think you'll see my posts have become much less obnoxious

Also, HI PHIL!

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

As for my sexual orientation, race, and sex... they're really nobody's business by mine.
    You sure do got a purdee, white mouf boy.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Every now and again there's a name in the intro threads which I'm so used to seeing on Destructoid that I'm surprised it's their first time here. You are the latest. Welcome, c-blog veteran!

Cultural anthropology sounds crazy. What are you doing your PhD on? What do you generally play? What was the last game you finished?

Welcome. Keep your pants off and you should do fine around here.

Do you like movies, books, tv? Any favourites?

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Heya Jinx. Nice to see you on this side of the fence.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Howdly doodly doo, I'm Talkie, Talkie Toaster!

Welcome

Thanks for the greetings!

Tarvu: Cultural anthropology sounds crazy. What are you doing your PhD on? What do you generally play? What was the last game you finished?
    * I'm hoping to do it on "alternative culture", specifically the gothic-industrial scene I've had involvement with already. I want to look at how people use the culture's views, themes, and narratives to make meaning of their own lives. I've also written stuff about gaming in the past, though. Way back when I was going to do my PhD on the game modding scene.
    * I try to be very diverse in what I play. With the explosion of the indie scene, my huge Steam backlog, and more console-style (eg Sonic) games available on PC, there's just SO MUCH to try out. So I like everything from 2D platformers (Trine, They Bleed Pixels, FEZ), RPGS (Skyrim, Torchlight, Borderlands), kart racing (Sonic Transformed, Blur), 3rd person action (Batman, Tomb Raider), FPS (Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, Stalker), Strategy (Company of Heroes, XCOM), tower defense (Defense Grid, Defender's Quest).... ahhhh just about everything but sports lol. I tend to avoid things like MMOs and MOBAs because they are too time consuming. I also tend to blast through games and ignore crap like collectibles. I have other games to play! Though I'm kinda bad at finishing them in general lol
    * Last "game" I finished was all the pre-Tiny-Tina DLC in Borderlands 2. But now I need another break from the game... Working on finishing up FEZ next, listening to the OST right this moment actually. Funny, I don't remember hearing most of this music in the actual freaking game at all...?!

Panzadolphin: Do you like movies, books, tv? Any favourites?
    I tend to like scifi and fantasy stuff. For movies, stuff like Fight Club, Inception, Big Trouble in Little China, The Big Lebowski, most of the Marvel movie (Avengers etc). I honestly don't read much fiction any more, even though I used to want to write it. I have to read a lot for class etc., so looking at a page of text is not relaxing for me lol. My favorite series was always the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. Man can that guy write epic battles. For TV I like quirky humor like Sealab, Archer, and Venture Brothers. Slightly darker scifi like Deep Space 9, Babylon 5, and Farscape.

Thanks again for the greets, now I gotta get back to dem recaps.

Pwnd
    Good luck with the PhD, and welcome to the forums!

Heya it's you! Welcome to wherever this is.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    Did I just see the word Turbo?

Hmm, it all checks out. Welcome Jinx, I think I recognize the name.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboKill View Post
    Did I just see the word Turbo?
    Hmm, it all checks out. Welcome Jinx, I think I recognize the name.
    Yeah, it offers turbo/rapid-fire for the buttons. I guess useful if you're playing an old schmup? It's probably my favorite controller ever, it not only has a great D-pad for a 360 controller, it has one of the best D-pads I've ever used. Good enough for They Bleed Pixels level precision, and that's saying something.

Honkey Kong
    Welcome to the Basement. We do bad things down here.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    Welcome to the Basement. We do bad things down here.
    Why do I get the feeling I just woke up in the basement of the gun shop from Pulp Fiction?

You're not far off.