Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tristrix's Open Response

Tristrix's Open Response

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Tri...--257040.phtml

I usually go out of my way to avoid the news and hot button topics, but this is a very intriguing issue. Concerning the community and its integration of all types of people, I feel like this should be bookmarked somewhere not on my browser. I haven't been a part of the site as long as some of you, but this shit feels unprecedented.

I'm of course referring to the meat of the post being in the comments.

[Level 12: CHET]
    People need to take a moment and figure out the difference between hate speech and fair expression of opinion.

People that stand up for others who are attacked by bigots, can then fall under attack from the people they support, if they disagree with those peoples point of view.

There are a lot of hateful people out there, who's only weapon is a broken rusty tool made up of horrible slurs filled with bile.
    But there are more people out there that won't stand for that. Every case can be different. Some issues can be black 'n' white and some are a big grey canvas.

The Dtoid community has no time for assholes, the community as a whole, as a large percentage hate hatred and don't put up with it.

I can only be bothered to skim read Samantha's letter. The actual community found on this website is very welcoming of all comers, those who post on it without really being part of it aren't really policeable. She might as well have addressed it to Youtube.

Juice Box
    Wow, that was such much reading. Some good insight at least, but it's kind of like hearing the same thing over and over again. One thing I do agree with Samantha's letter is that maybe there should be a small period of time where new users get their comments screened before they show up in the feed? Like you refereed to in your post Nihil, I too feel like a lot of the hate speech on destructiod comes from people that aren't a part of community. I know that I see a lot of "Guests" come up when things start heating up in discussions like this. Honestly, if your post had been on the front page, there amount of malice probably would have been through the roof.

Pwnd
    Seems less than honest to turn this into a circlejerk about how great the "real" community is, yet it's inevitable in an atmosphere which relies so heavily on peer pressure to establish its collective thinking. I probably could think of more to say here but to be honest I don't really care all that much.

It's not without flaws, or assholes. But within the context of bigotry it does fine.

Pwnd
    I get the feeling a lot of people disagree with that second part. Of course they're not members of the "real" community though, seeing as how they either got disgusted and left or never wanted to join in the first place.

We already have rules for people to stop being assholes. I appreciate the idea of including details on what exactly a trans person is in the rules to inform those curious but I doubt many people will pay attention. Glad the idea of policing opinions or being punished for simply being ignorant was never agreed with although I never expected any other reaction to it. I get the impression some people would rather shove away those ignorant people rather than educating them. So lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Seems less than honest to turn this into a circlejerk about how great the "real" community is, yet it's inevitable in an atmosphere which relies so heavily on peer pressure to establish its collective thinking. I probably could think of more to say here but to be honest I don't really care all that much.
    You cared enough to make a post about it. Didn't realise we were under peer pressure to appreciate how well we cope with diversity in our community.

Pwnd
    Peer pressure is fine when it's being used for you own ends, like publicly shaming writers over Twitter to advance your political cause. Break out of the hive mind once in a while, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by pk fire View Post
    Wow, that was such much reading. Some good insight at least, but it's kind of like hearing the same thing over and over again. One thing I do agree with Samantha's letter is that maybe there should be a small period of time where new users get their comments screened before they show up in the feed? Like you refereed to in your post Nihil, I too feel like a lot of the hate speech on destructiod comes from people that aren't a part of community. I know that I see a lot of "Guests" come up when things start heating up in discussions like this. Honestly, if your post had been on the front page, there amount of malice probably would have been through the roof.
    I would think such moderation would be impossible under disqus and a nightmare for the mods even if it could be done.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post
    You cared enough to make a post about it. Didn't realise we were under peer pressure to appreciate how well we cope with diversity in our community.
    I can't tell if you're trying to distort what I meant there, or if you genuinely don't understand what I said.

Juice Box
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post
    Glad the idea of policing opinions or being punished for simply being ignorant was never agreed with although I never expected any other reaction to it. I get the impression some people would rather shove away those ignorant people rather than educating them. So lame.
    Yeah, I liked that part too. I found it kind of weird that Samantha was pushing in the comments for Destructoid to make a "Blanket Statement" for something that can be entirely misinterpreted the wrong way. That kind of thinking doesn't promote education, it promotes censorship.

And Legendhead, I didn't mean for my statement to sound like I was putting our community on a pedestal. I only meant it in that "Guests" probably are more likely to spew out intended hate because they don't feel like they contribute anything to the community. That's all.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by pk fire View Post
    And Legendhead, I didn't mean for my statement to sound like I was putting our community on a pedestal.
    Likewise. I didn't mean to sound like I was responding to your thoughts specifically. Yours just happened to be the post right before mine, that's all.

I get the feeling a lot of people disagree with that second part. Of course they're not members of the "real" community though, seeing as how they either got disgusted and left or never wanted to join in the first place.
    What does that mean exaxctly and based on what - has an incident (what specifically if so) occurred where bigotry was an issue and it was not dealt with properly in the community i.e the forum ect?

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBear View Post
    What does that mean exaxctly and based on what - has an incident (what specifically if so) occurred where bigotry was an issue and it was not dealt with properly in the community i.e the forum ect?
    That's...probably not the best way to approach the question. Regarding what you quoted me on, it's not like I'm gonna start throwing names around as far as those who have become disgusted and left; although anyone who's been paying attention could put together a decent sized list at this point, naming names seems like a tacky and gossipy thing to do. And as far as those who never wanted to join in the first place, what do you expect me to do with that, identify them by their non-existent posts?

Point is, the people who remain here are going to tell you that Dtoid is a great place. It's not good or evil, it's simply human nature. Just like how people who work for Coca-Cola will tell you how delicious their product is, Microsoft employees sincerely believe that Xbone is the way of the future, etc. It's called perception bias, I think? Pretty sure somebody invented a term for the process and that sounds about right so yeah.

I'm asking you what you meant by the entire statement, out of genuine curiosity not to instigate any aggro. No names, didn't even ask that, just I can't think, off-hand of any bigot related troubles that have appended here, unless before my time.

I don't think Dtoid is a great place. Not blinded at all, especially on this side of the Atlantic. It's got a lot of groovy people with good hearts. Not everyone, but a lot.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBear View Post
    I'm asking you what you meant by the entire statement, out of genuine curiosity not to instigate any aggro. No names, didn't even ask that, just I can't think, off-hand of any bigot related troubles that have appended here, unless before my time.

I don't think Dtoid is a great place. Not blinded at all, especially on this side of the Atlantic. It's got a lot of groovy people with good hearts. Not everyone, but a lot.
    Well, hopefully I've at least begun to explain the concept in the second paragraph of my last post. Basically what I'm saying is that members of a group are less likely to acknowledge (or even notice) a group's flaws than people outside of that group. That's a super brief, tip-of-the-iceberg way of describing a complex sociological process but then again I'm about to step away from the computer for a bit and it's not like posting a thesis on a gaming site would be such a rewarding thing anyway. Also, just in case that last part sounds dismissive or rude, please be aware that I was smiling when I typed it.

Basically what I'm saying is that members of a group are less likely to acknowledge (or even notice) a group's flaws than people outside of that group.
    I agree with that and that it exist in a (albeit minuscule) form within this community.

Honkey Kong
    I thought Analoge left? No offense, but after the Allistair incident she's been looking for a fight over gender politics. You can even see it in the comments, people just talking and she's trying to agitate shit. Imo.

>leave over someone not being fired for a mistake
    >fired
    >still leaves
    >comes back to say anyone who hurts another's feelings should be banned
    >brings hate spewing ally with her
    >overly defensive at the idea others aren't up to speed on HER issues
    >"educating ignorance is not my problem you should just be aware of my problems"

okay

Pwnd
    Honestly, they'd probably find a lot of people on here willing to throw their support behind them if they weren't too busy looking for a fight. I myself am sympathetic to their plight, but their attitudes just suck and they're going about the whole thing in a way that's very confrontational and off-putting. It's like they're so busy looking to blame and shame heretics who don't agree with them 100% that they can't spare any time to work with people on a solution.