Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Yearly Ritual

dtoidrolleye Your Yearly Ritual

Lets face it, I am almost positive we all have that one or handful of games that no matter how many times we have played through we never get sick of. This tends to lead to doing a play through at least once a year, what are the games that call to you at least once a year? Is there a reason behind it? Is there a specific time of year that suddenly calls to you reminding you that you want to play through your favorites?

You see I live in Arizona, which means that while our winters are gorgeous our summers are absolute hell. So once a year when October approaches the weather begins to cool down at night, actually enough to call the weather somewhat pleasant. When October hits the Halloween spirit is in the air and my friends and myself always get a craving to do our yearly play through of Silent Hill 2.

silenthill.jpg

It has been a tradition of ours 5 years running now that every year around Halloween we get together, make some chili beans, grab some beers and just have a good old Silent Hill 2 fest. (Definitely one of my favorite gaming traditions)

-

Though this tradition is not always yearly, it is always inevitable:

snake.jpg

Every time they announce a new Metal Gear game I feel the urge to play through the entire series to help quell my anticipation for the next title. On top of that it is great to give myself a quick refresher on the story as we all know the series can be quite complex and out of hand at times!

--

Anywho! What are some games that you have developed a routine of playing yearly, monthly, daily, or just whenever?

I play through FF6 and LoZ: LttP every couple years.

Oh, and every couple months I'll hit a night where I should really be in bed, or I'm super drunk/on drugs and will do a marathon session of REZ out of nowhere.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Halo campaigns.

Specifically those of CE, ODST and Reach. I love those and thoroughly enjoy playing them through.
    Last edited by Tarvu; 06-26-2013 at 01:23 PM.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    At least one Metal Gear game, one Arkham game and Gunstar Heroes. A little Quake Live/3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bloodspray View Post
    Oh, and every couple months I'll hit a night where I should really be in bed, or I'm super drunk/on drugs and will do a marathon session of REZ out of nowhere.
    Haha Thank you.. Just thank you..

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    I clear old games all the time, but there's a few of them that I take my time with, not trying to speedrun things or burn time for no reason, and these usually take place every year.

Super Metroid takes place in March.

Symphony Of The Night takes place in October.

Chrono Trigger takes place in December.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bloodspray View Post
    I play through LoZ: LttP every couple years.
    Same with me. For the most part, at least with games since the PS1/N64 era, once I'm done with a game I rarely go back to it.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    SMB and Duck Hunt are more like every five months. Play through SMB and play Duck Hunt til it starts to glitch or I loose.

MGS1, 2, 3, and 4

Super Metroid

Portal

LoZ: Link's Awakening

I don't really have a specific timeline or schedule, but the games I keep going back to are:

Borderlands (since replaced by Borderlands 2)
    Oblivion
    Fallout 3
    Skyrim
    Supreme Commander
    Total Annihilation (I've pretty much been playing this off and on since I was like six years old)
    Unreal Tournament (the original mostly, sometimes UT3)
    Diablo II keeps pulling me back in everytime I re-discover the case for it. Same thing with Neverwinter Nights
    Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
    Dragon Age: Origins

Total Annihilation was my jam in high school. I was rated so damn high on the MPlayer ladder.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    What game do you play everyday? I play FIFA

THE MR.E BIRD
    You should make an intro thread, and I hope to high Hades you'll have more to say about yourself than that in it.

I don't have any games that I really play annually, but the one game I always come back to is Secret of Mana for the SNES. Just now I'm playing it with my girlfriend, who isn't even that much of a gamer, but she has fun. Maybe I can get her to play a good coop round of Gears of Kane & Lynch or something like that sometime.

I always find myself coming back to play the early Resident Evil games for some reason, and also Doom 3 and Quake 4 I always seem to pick up and play at some point. Also System Shock 2.

I wouldn't say I really play any of them on a yearly schedule but once every maybe one to two years I get the urge to replay.

I start every new year the exact same way: begin a new playthrough of FFVIII. Even when it means leaving parties early, I've never missed a year. Never regretted it.

Other than that, I have no 'ritual'. There are simply certain games that I will replay a couple of times a year at random.
    Resident Evil 3
    Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 (original releases)
    Final Fantasy VIII (not just for the new year), IX, X and X-2
    BioShock
    Legend Of Dragoon
    Vagrant Story
    Parasite Eve 2
    Unreal Tournament (original)
    Deus Ex (original)

And of course every eight months or so I'll make the mistake of re-installing Counter-Strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    I always find myself coming back to play the early Resident Evil games for some reason
    Agreed, though I play these a lot less frequent definitely awesome to go back to, especially for the cheese factor. I remember being absolutely terrified of playing these games alone when I was a kid, but now I almost wonder how the hell I was ever scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Flibble View Post
    I start every new year the exact same way: begin a new playthrough of FFVIII. Even when it means leaving parties early, I've never missed a year. Never regretted it.
    Haha that is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by racerace1 View Post
    What game do you play everyday? I play FIFA
    Me? Well, I play just about everything I can get my hands on, truth be told.

Streets of Rage trilogy. I cannot go afew months without beating any one of them. I'll be at work selling games, talking retro games, and any time someone is checking out our Genesis cabinet, you bet your ass Streets of Rage comes up, then it just sits on my mind for days, weeks even that I have to beat it again.

Even now, all I can think of is the amazing soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro.

That's why I love replaying ActRaiser.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a yearly ritual with games, though I can't deny the persistent lure of Dark souls/Skyrim/Civ. Even when I manage to take month, sometimes even year long hiatuses, it always comes back to me, like the haunting echo of water in the far recesses of a cave long forgotten by time...

I do have a yearly ritual though, and it's a full viewing of Avatar, from the Boy in the Iceberg to Avatar Aang. For 2 days or so I disappear from reality, much tea is drank, much pot is smoked, and many a cabbage are destroyed.