Page 1 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

I know there was an old FF XIV thread, but it hasn't been active in a few years, and, since FFXIV: ARR is essentially a new game, I thought it would be best to give it a new thread (though the mods may decide differently).

I just downloaded the beta client for the PS3 yesterday, but haven't started it yet. I was in the beta for the original and didn't enjoy it at all, but all the news and videos I've seen of ARR have me pretty excited.
    I have to admit that I'm not very experienced with MMOs, like, at all, so I haven't decided what race or class I'm going to choose. Is there a reason to choose something like a fisher or carpenter over a warrior or mage? That seems like it wouldn't be as fun.
    Is anyone else going to be participating in the beta?

Pwnd
    Fishing and carpentry are just crafts you can choose to engage in whenever you get bored of level grinding. Theoretically, you can play the game as a fisherman for your entire duration and never touch any of the other classes; it'd just be a really boring way to spend $12.99 a month.

Also, you can change classes on the fly by simply equipping different weapons, so it's not like you're bound to being one class or the other. If you want to fish, then just take out a fishing pole and fish.

I have a Level 17 Lancer on Ultros server. I just got my airship pass and the ability to dye clothes.

So then it doesn't really matter which class you choose during the character creation?

Pwnd
    No. The system is set up like it was in FFXI: One character can eventually have every single job leveled up, granted you have enough time and dedication on hand to make it happen. What's improved from XI is that you can change jobs wherever you want, provided you're not in battle. You do have to unlock the job before you can become it, but once you've unlocked it, you can change to it wherever you want by equipping the type of weapon that they specialize in.

Ok, that sounds pretty cool. So really, choosing your class during the character creation just means choosing what you want to do right away, versus what you may want to do eventually. I like that.

How are you enjoying the beta? Are you on the PS3 or PC?

Pwnd
    Yeah. Your class also dictates where your starting city is as well, which can cause problems when starting the game with other people. But then again, I had an airship pass by level 15 and could travel to any of the three nations within a day or two of creating my character.

EDIT: At first, I didn't like the beta. The UI swamped me with so much shit at once. Then I started playing it, and the game just felt too easy at first: Talk to an NPC, go fetch an item, come back, get exp, talk to the next NPC, rinse and repeat. It's a much different leveling progression than in XI, which required you to grind mobs for hours on end with a full group of people. However, XI's system required a lot of sitting around while waiting for group invites; XIV's traditional quest treadmill is quicker, to the point, and much more entertaining due to Square's phenomenal story writing and cutscene direction. I eventually came to appreciate XIV's quest-based leveling, even if it is a little too easy at times.

Now with that said, once I started doing group dungeons that required actual teamwork and strategy, I fell in love with the game. The Limit Break system is also brilliant: It requires an entirely new level of strategy not found in MMOs before, requiring the party to plan its use ahead based on the needs of the mission on hand. Once the game required my brain to start working in order to accomplish anything, it became a load more fun.

I play on the PC, but the PS3 and PC versions all work on the same servers. If you're on the PS3 and I'm on the PC, we can still play together. XI was like that as well, with the PC, PS2, and the 360 versions all running together on the same servers.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    and the ability to dye clothes.
    Riveting stuff.

Sometimes you want a blue robe, and sometimes you want green.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by djnealb View Post
    How are you enjoying the beta? Are you on the PS3 or PC?
    At first, I didn't like the beta. The UI swamped me with so much shit at once. Then I started playing it, and the game just felt too easy: Talk to an NPC, go fetch an item, come back, get exp, talk to the next NPC, and then rinse and repeat. It's a much different leveling progression than in XI, which required you to grind mobs for hours on end with a full group of people. However, XI's system required a lot of sitting around while waiting for group invites; XIV's traditional quest treadmill is quicker, to the point, and much more entertaining due to Square's phenomenal story writing and cutscene direction. I eventually came to appreciate XIV's quest-based leveling, even if it is a little too easy at times.

Now with that said, once I started doing group dungeons that required actual teamwork, I fell in love with the game. The Limit Break system is also brilliant: It requires an entirely new level of strategy not found in MMOs before, requiring the party to plan its use ahead based on the needs of the mission on hand. Once the game required my brain to start working in order to accomplish anything, it became a load more fun.

I play on the PC, but the PS3 and PC versions all work on the same servers. If you're on the PS3 and I'm on the PC, we can still play together. XI was like that as well, with the PC, PS2, and the 360 versions all running together on the same servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla Gravy View Post
    Riveting stuff.

Get on my level.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun for me. Like I said before, I don't really have any experience with MMOs, so I imagine that I'd rather play on my own at first. It kind of sounds like it eases you into missions that might require you to join up with others instead of just throwing you into the deep end.

Pwnd
    Yeah, you start off on your own, and then eventually you'll be doing main story quests that require group work. They're a lot of fun, and they haven't been too terribly difficult to start out with, provided you come prepared. I'm sure Square is saving the really difficult stuff for the end game.

Get on my level.
    What the fuck are those, oven mitts?

Pwnd
    Get caked on, negro.

Juice Box
    This game actually did look really cool. Is the beta invite only? And if I have a mid-tier PC could I play it on lower settings?

Pwnd
    Beta is invite only, but you can still register for an invitation. I run a 6670 with 4 gigs of RAM, and I can play it smoothly at 60 fps in 1280x720 while running medium/high settings.

Side note for everyone: Phase 3 characters will be wiped out at the end of testing, but phase 4 characters will be carried over into the final game. Everyone in phase 3 will be carried over to phase 4.

I wish I could get into MMO's but I hate the canned animation based combat that seems like it was designed to be as unimmersive as possible.

The PSN store was advertising the E3 trailer, and that if you downloaded it, you might get the PS3 beta invitation. That's how I got mine, anyway. I don't know if they're still doing that, but it's worth a shot if they are.

Pwnd
    I believe that if you get a PS3 invite, you can use the PC beta client as well. The PS3 version is in really rough shape from what I played. It definitely doesn't put hands upon the PC version.

Side note for everyone: Phase 3 characters will be wiped out at the end of testing, but Phase 4 characters will be carried over into the final game. Everyone in Phase 3 will be carried over to Phase 4.
    So if you first make the character in phase 3, then you're SOL once the final game is released? Or do you mean that if you continue testing into phase 4, you'll be okay?

Honestly, I'm really looking forward to the PS4 version. I've already preordered the system and I'd like to know if the game plays well on the console. The producers of the game did a video during E3 where they showed off the gameplay on the PS3 and I thought it looked alright.

Pwnd
    Our characters in phase 3 will be gone at the end. We all make new characters in phase 4, which will be carried into the final game. Everyone in phase 3 will be in phase 4.