Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: The most super awesome amazing fantastic retro gaming thread ever!

  1. #1
    [Level 2: Human] vsynced's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    41

    The most super awesome amazing fantastic retro gaming thread ever!

    I may be new here, but I know what the people want, they want someone to stand up and say

    "Hey. you dirty no good DLC selling, non stop sequel creating, Big Rig racing creators! Remember when they made games like this? No? Well I do and guess what? you fight like a dairy farmer!"

    So here it is, a thread dedicated to all our favorite games of yesteryear, post about how much you loved a certain type of game, show a picture of the game maybe, hell even show your family playing the game...I did...



    The basic point of the thread is to bring back memories, maybe someone will post up a game you had forgotten about due to old age or some form of brain eating zombie disease that we are not aware of yet, either way it may just give you a nostalgia bone or two.


    Ok I will get the ball rolling on this one by saying that one of the best games I have ever played was syndicate wars on PC I loved it, every aspect of it to me was mind blowing at the time I must have put 100's of hours into the game along with William Shatner's tekwar....ok maybe not tekwar but you did get to shoot hobo's which was great :-)


  2. #2
    Pwnd
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22,232
    Man, y'know, I'm not really that nostalgic about games I loved when I was a kid. The most recent Spider-man is one of those rushed movie tie-ins but it's still light years ahead of this shit;



    Oh yeah and the 2D fighter I had with Spidey and Captain America that I thought was THE BEST GAME EVER?



    Dude just look at it. Not gonna lie, the new ones are so much better.

  3. #3
    [Level 2: Human] vsynced's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Man, y'know, I'm not really that nostalgic about games I loved when I was a kid. The most recent Spider-man is one of those rushed movie tie-ins but it's still light years ahead of this shit;



    Oh yeah and the 2D fighter I had with Spidey and Captain America that I thought was THE BEST GAME EVER?



    Dude just look at it. Not gonna lie, the new ones are so much better.
    LOL that captain america game DOES look like the best game ever, look at the cutting edge graphics.

  4. #4
    Pwnd
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22,232
    I know right? I was amazed by the complex control scheme laid out in the ever so necessary printed manual.

    "press button to throw shield"

    You mean...the button on my joystick? The only button it has? Oh my dear weepy Jesus!

    And Spider-man being the innovator of science, he had a complex moveset all his own.

    "press button to shoot web"

    I get teary eyed just thinking about it now. It was just so...so beautiful, so pristine in its majestic simplicity. Like seeing a unicorn mount a dragon, yea, even in the biblical sense.

  5. #5
    [Level 2: Human] vsynced's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    I know right? I was amazed by the complex control scheme laid out in the ever so necessary printed manual.

    "press button to throw shield"

    You mean...the button on my joystick? The only button it has? Oh my dear weepy Jesus!

    And Spider-man being the innovator of science, he had a complex moveset all his own.

    "press button to shoot web"

    I get teary eyed just thinking about it now. It was just so...so beautiful, so pristine in its majestic simplicity. Like seeing a unicorn mount a dragon, yea, even in the biblical sense.
    One of the most important and unforgettable lessons a game manual has taught me is the following...


  6. #6
    [Level 4: Cyborg] JuiceMcNasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    145
    Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi!

    This game was absolutely phenomenal! I received it one year as a birthday gift from an uncle I rarely see, and needless to say this game had me stuck for weeks. I beat this game over and over and never once got sick of it, I mean even to this day I still love this game! I made the mistake of trading it in to FuncoLand when I was younger, though I managed to pick up a copy at a local gaming store for only 10$, totally worth it!

    jedi1.jpg
    Lightsaber Boomerang... 'MERCA

    jedi2.jpg
    Yes.. Just Yes...

    jedi3.jpg
    Speeder Bikes = FUCK YEAH! (Like Battletoads but not nearly as frustrating)

  7. #7
    [Level 2: Human] vsynced's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceMcNasty View Post
    Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi!

    This game was absolutely phenomenal! I received it one year as a birthday gift from an uncle I rarely see, and needless to say this game had me stuck for weeks. I beat this game over and over and never once got sick of it, I mean even to this day I still love this game! I made the mistake of trading it in to FuncoLand when I was younger, though I managed to pick up a copy at a local gaming store for only 10$, totally worth it!

    jedi1.jpg
    Lightsaber Boomerang... 'MERCA

    jedi2.jpg
    Yes.. Just Yes...

    jedi3.jpg
    Speeder Bikes = FUCK YEAH! (Like Battletoads but not nearly as frustrating)
    Hell yes super star wars was my thing, god I spent hours if not days sweating away trying to finish the games, difficult as hell in certain areas.

  8. #8
    [Level 4: Cyborg] JuiceMcNasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by vsynced View Post
    Hell yes super star wars was my thing, god I spent hours if not days sweating away trying to finish the games, difficult as hell in certain areas.
    True story! The funny part is I didn't realize how tough these games could be until I picked it up again recently. When I was a kid it felt so easy; sadly I believe this is just a testament to how badly my gaming skills have degraded with age..

  9. #9
    Pwnd
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22,232
    Man I wish I had kept more of these. Gaming magazines get so much better over time.



    Just take some time and read the small text. It's so good. So good.

    And of course the large text is hilarious too. "UNREAL!" haha

  10. #10
    [Level 2: Human] vsynced's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Man I wish I had kept more of these. Gaming magazines get so much better over time.



    Just take some time and read the small text. It's so good. So good.

    And of course the large text is hilarious too. "UNREAL!" haha

    To think I upgraded my pc for this! What is more worrying is that according to the mag US marines are training on doom, I cannot remember the last time a marine could no clip through a wall and chainsaw John Romeros head

  11. #11
    Admin / Midget King
    Aaron Mxy Yost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Flying blind on a rocket cycle
    Posts
    13,196
    My friend and I played the Marine version of Doom way back in the day, after the mod was released to the public. It was amusing because it looked like it'd been slapped together by a 14 year old.

  12. #12
    [Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Everyday Legend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gunshine State
    Posts
    13,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Man I wish I had kept more of these. Gaming magazines get so much better over time.


    Street Fighter 3 - disappointment of the year.

    Fucking philistines​.

  13. #13
    Pwnd
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22,232
    My favorite is "are U.S. Marines trained on Doom?"

    Hey you never know man. The one before it was true.

  14. #14
    [Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    AboveUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,867
    I've always loved this article 1up revived from Adam West back when old Batman games were being promoted. What I really love about it is that he's not really into gaming all that much, but he was far ahead of his time in terms of the interpretation of it.

  15. #15
    [Level 2: Human] NeoTurbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    40
    God, I remember playing Ocarina of Time when it's first came out. I spent most of my time just...exploring everywhere. By rolling. I would not travel any other way besides rolling forward. Also nightime in that game freaked me the fuck out. To say nothing of when when the re-deads showed up. -_-;

  16. #16
    [Level 4: Cyborg] JuiceMcNasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Man I wish I had kept more of these. Gaming magazines get so much better over time.

    That is so awesome, I definitely have to admit flipping through old gaming magazines is pretty much awesome, the older the better. It is insane to look back on some of theses and just see where we actually are now compared to where we were 'supposed' to be. I still have a copy of the Game Informer talking about how StarCraft Ghost was going to be the next amazing thing, and sadly we all know how that ended .

    Or reading the preview for Metal Gear Solid 2 showing off the amazing new game play as *cough* Snake *cough*, even in areas that we later played as series newcomer Raiden!

  17. #17
    [Level 6: Robot]
    Scield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Posts
    1,223
    I play through a few NES, SNES and Genesis roms from time to time. I played a ton of games as a kid growing up on all those systems , from Atari 2600 on, but I'm not too found of the older games. Sure there are the classics that I play from each era and each system, but overall I find that replaying some of the other games now is just frustrating and shows me how bad some of the game designs were. My favorite is Zelda: A Link to the Past. I think I play that game on a yearly basis.
    Sent from my Nokia 920 using Board Express Pro

  18. #18
    [Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Everyday Legend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gunshine State
    Posts
    13,529
    I replay Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger and Symphony Of The Night every year. It's a ritual.

  19. #19
    [Level 6: Robot]
    Scield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Posts
    1,223
    I need to replay Super Metroid again
    Sent from my Nokia 920 using Board Express Pro

  20. #20
    [Level 8: Skynet]
    Shinryu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    2,801
    I used to play Bionic Commando on the NES every Sunday.
    That was before the money and the backlog.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •