Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Going on a rampage, surely everybody does it?

[Level 8: Skynet]

Going on a rampage, surely everybody does it?

I spoke to a mate recently about the Fable series, I mentioned that I'd sometimes end a session on Fable 1 or 2 (not 3, don't like that game) by saving it and then proceeding to cause a massive fight in whatever town I was in.

My friend looked at me like I'd gone wrong and proceeded to claim that he's never gone on a rampage in any game, including the likes of the GTA series!

He's in the minority here, right? There's loads of games where you can essentially grief NPC's for no good reason - anyone got any favourites?

Off the top of my head you've got Saints Row, Red Faction Guerilla, Postal, Just Cause, Crackdown and nearly anything by Rockstar (except the table tennis).

Beast Master
    I played the first Fable game evil as all get out, so I'd clear villages and just start killing the endless wave of guards often, and save afterwards. I never went on a full on murder spree in GTA IV, but in the older ones I always did.

Maybe I've matured or something, and that's why I haven't done it so much in the later games of those series. God I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus View Post
    I played the first Fable game evil as all get out, so I'd clear villages and just start killing the endless wave of guards often, and save afterwards. I never went on a full on murder spree in GTA IV, but in the older ones I always did.

Maybe I've matured or something, and that's why I haven't done it so much in the later games of those series. God I hope not.
    If I remember correctly the first Fable would permanently upgrade the town guards to either deter you from any more massacring, or just to provide a tougher challenge?

Weirdly I too go on less rampages these days, I think it's the hassle of it all; eventually your character winds up dead or arrested and you're respawned miles away from where you want to be with no weapons and less money.

Saying that I still enjoy messing up stuff from time to time - Skyrim's still good for that, although a full on rampage is harder to pull off. Going round a town and Wabbajacking the shit out of everything is mildly amusing.

I'd do it and save in Fable. One shortcoming of those games is how really meaningless such actions are. You can spend your piles of gold on fixing your karma and the villager disposition makes them all essentially retarded.

Anybody who plays GTA without regularly just loading and going on a rampage until they die is unbalanced.

Hell, I do this in games like Halo too. Kill all the marines! Halo 4's Pelican level starts off in an area that's perfect for it.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Yeah I do this in pretty much any game that will let me. I've been having a lot of fun with Fallout 3 recently. GTA is obviously about as good as it gets but I haven't actually bothered to play the latest one yet, I still intend to.

Actually my main beef with Arkham City was that I couldn't just go crazy and beat the fuck out of everyone, maybe I am missing the point of a superhero game but it would have been fun anyway.

Of course I do that! Done it many times in Fable and Elder Scrolls games, GTA too. Also done it many time in the Saints Row games, but you're kind of supposed to do that with those, so it doesn't really count. I've done it in many others as well. But it's a natural part of gaming. It's not something that you do all the time, but you at least try it out in a few games to see how the world reacts, and for catharsis.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I love to do that in Fallout 3. I really need to pick that up again. I have a save on there where I'm going pure Evil. I like to do all the missions that are available in a town, and then just murder the ever living fuck out of all the citizens. If I recall correctly, I think I had just set off the nuke in that first town, so I'm only a little bit into that game.

Juice Box
    Like those above me, I loved fighting everyone in towns every so often. I think it's normal to want to deviate from the main theme of a game once in awhile. It's just something else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    IHel, I do this in games like Halo too. Kill all the marines! Halo 4's Pelican level starts off in an area that's perfect for it.
    It's stuff like this that I love going simply because you really shouldn't but can. Most open world games encourage you to partake in some form of mindless violence but then there's games that give you potentially useful allies that you
    can continually grief.

Half Life is good for that, you could sometimes build up a nice little group of scientists and then just cause them as much shit as possible. Dead Rising too, if you found yourself some survivors you
    could be a total dick to them.

The Hitman series is great for that, you're encouraged to be all silent and shit but I suck at that and will eventually try the "Rambo" approach to the mission I'm stuck on.

Beast Master
    Shit, I haven't gone killing all the marines since Halo 2. I remember always trying to kill Johnson too, even though it's impossible.

Ohhh Levi. You weren't trying hard enough. Back then I had fuck all else to play and would spend hours abusing that game. I pushed Johnson off of Cairo Station once. He got his.

I used to play through Halo CE killing all UNSC personnel. It made it a lot harder. It was also get confused and once I killed Johnson like 5 times in one playthrough, because he kept appearing more often that he should have.

Elder Scroll is another good one.

Beast Master
    I just tried shooting him a lot with every gun I had.

He'd run around all hunched over with that big sniper rifle taking potshots at me in retaliation.

Invulnerable characters like him and splitjaw were annoying in Halo 2, but they were vaguely useful on the harder difficulties. Because that was the hardest campaign on Legendary for how badly made it was.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Prototype and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. /thread

I remember the Konquest mode in MK Deception where you could trawl villages punching people in the face, of they were NPC's with quests though they'd just punch you back.

I just drive normally in GTA. Now that's going on a rampage!

I usually go on killing sprees in Skyrim than anything else.

I need to get back into GTA IV to try and complete the DLC achievements, and I'll do so by going on rampages.

Dark Demon's Souls is the best game to try that kind of thing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post
    I just drive normally in GTA. Now that's going on a rampage!.
    When I played LA Noire I always let my partner drive, when I took the wheel it was always an unintentional rampage!

Also in Demon/Dark Souls I'm always tempted to just kill the blacksmiths or merchants and then turn off the game and hope it didn't have time to auto save. Same for RE4, except I often did kill that guy after buying the stuff I wanted ("Whaddya buyin'... uuuuuuhhhhhh!").

I married all the women in the initial village of fable 2, having children with all of them. Then just watch the drama unfold. I am a terrible person.