Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider

No Tomb Raider thread? Blasphemous! Well new game out soon, good time to start one right?

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    My new Radeon HD7850 2GB card came with a Steam voucher for this and Bioshock. The Metroidvania design of the island is enough to make me psyched. The survival elements sound awesome.

Looks pretty good. I think the story and voice-acting look pretty awful, but platforming and combat looks pretty dayum slick.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I can't wait to buy this and only play the multiplayer.

I think it looks good, I'll probably get it. Hopefully it'll be different enough from Uncharted and Assassins Creed to feel fresh, pretty tired of those games really. Multiplayer can fuck off, if there's one series that doesn't need that it's Tomb Raider.

THE MR.E BIRD
    With all these nice reviews it is now something I'll watch out for in a year or two.

^ Same.

I'll chime in with the same sentiments as the gentlemen above.

Square's partnership publishing arm has hold of some good titles it seems.

It feels weird to be excited about a Tomb Raider game. I was pleasantly surprised by Guardian of Light and most of the early reviews are pretty spectacular so it appears the team at Crystal Dynamics knows their shit.

Also, gotta give them props for including multiplayer with no online pass required. That was awful nice of them.

THE MR.E BIRD
    It has multiplayer? How's that then?

It looks very Uncharted-y, which I suppose could be a good or bad thing depending on your feelings towards Uncharted.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I'm glad I preordered it. I've never really been a fan on the Tomb Raider series but after reading all the news about the reboot I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm sure the story and characterization are going to be terrible and obvious (if you're going to blatantly rip off Uncharted, at least rip off it's strong points) but the gameplay looks solid. Just about all of the press around it made it look like the game was going to be a serious missed opportunity, including the previews that looked really QTE heavy, but everything I've read says that it's mostly just the first act. I'm sure I'll pick this up down the line.

The comment threads of the reviews are pretty patently hilarious, though. I will never get tired of nervous, white shut-in's whining about misandry.

It's not like it's cheap or easy to produce Uncharted level cutscenes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Defenestrator View Post
    I'm sure the story and characterization are going to be terrible and obvious (if you're going to blatantly rip off Uncharted, at least rip off it's strong points) but the gameplay looks solid.
    The disconnect between the story and the gameplay look retarded. We're gonna bitch everyone up in the shooting levels. and then she's gonna cry about killing a deer two hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by umberhulk View Post
    The disconnect between the story and the gameplay look retarded. We're gonna bitch everyone up in the shooting levels. and then she's gonna cry about killing a deer two hours later.
    Yeah this is something that concerned me about it. Trying to have Lara grow gradually and believably into the capable, "badass" character she supposedly becomes, in a game where a large part is action including combat, can't have been easy. The main excuse for it is probably that she must fight to survive, or possibly revenge but I can see it being kind of disjointed.

Far Cry 3 tried that line and it didn't work there either. If you want to sell that whole "murder has consequences" thing, you're going to have to really tightly stage-manage every enemy encounter for hours. It'd likely bore the hell out of a lot of "casual gamers" so I sincerely doubt that's going to happen.

Really fucking loving this game. Kicks the dogshit out of Uncharted's bullet sponge gameplay, and the metroidvania island style is more interesting than linear maps.

There really is no disconnect between her killing animals or people, nor do I sense any kind of consequence for killing the enemies. She starts off the game taking out a deer with zero hesitation, and only apologizing to the thing because she didn't kill it in one shot. The enemies are introduced as murderous bandits with no remorse of killing you to fuck your body, which I imagine is exactly what a group of thugs would do, especially on a remote island. The only comment I've heard about murdering people is a friend on the radio sympathizing with what she had to do to escape, and her response wasn't one of complaint, but instead, "It's scary how easy it was."

Gunplay is tense, as Lara and the crosshairs start to get jumpy after mere seconds. So far there haven't been any major gun fights, just sneaking around and offing people one group at a time with a bow or pistol as quickly as possible before they can shoot back. Very little melodrama in the ordeal, and she's presented in a very level-headed survivalist manner.

I will never understand what people are talking about when they complain about Uncharted enemies. They had the perfect ammount of longjevity. Head shot! The controls aren't nearly as good in TR ( but it's intentional)There should also be a cover button--as opposed to the game auto piloting it.

Game is pretty good! QTEs suck though. Not sure how I feel about her vision ability, and a lot of findable shit is also indicated on the map.

I agree with the cover button. It hasn't caused an error for me yet, but it makes the stealth sections seem a bit more dangerous; maybe that's also intentional.