Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super Kart Racing for iOS/Android Funding Campaign

Super Kart Racing for iOS/Android Funding Campaign

You've all been amazing supporters of my site and Youtube tutorial work. This is my pitch to the world in helping me support development of Super Kart Racing for the iOS and Android platforms. If you can contribute, please do. If you cannot, please share the link with your networks and pass the word. This is a labor of love and something that's been a long time coming. Thank you all so much for the support!
    The link to the game's official web site is:

Super Kart Racing Official Site

Last edited by JamesArndt; 03-31-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Outdated information removed.

Thank you for the support.

Admin / Midget King
    Fascinating. You should probably make an intro thread in the Meet & Greet section and make some posts that aren't promoting this project so the community can get to know you.

Those assets look pretty cool. I gotta say though "Super Kart Racing" is such a boring name.

@Aaron Mxy Yost - Actually this thread is my introduction. In fact following the link to the main page will give an introduction of me in front of the camera explaining who I am, what I do and why I do it. It also has links to my portfolio and stuff. Pretty good introduction and kind of a personal, close-to-my-heart speech. I could do other threads, but honestly I don't want to clutter the forums with redundant posts (considering this one links to an introduction of myself). Thanks for the interest

@Mighty Hatman - Yeah it doesn't have that "flare" for sure, but it's pretty accurate to the sport. I didn't think "Real Racing" was catchy at all, in fact I thought it was a VERY generic name...nonetheless look where they got (though I doubt I would have their success within this genre). Thanks for the comment! Still sticking with the boring name at this point. I'm in very early discussions with two sets of companies to possibly fund the entire game (and they may want the name changed or kept I dunno.)

jamesarndt@superkartracing.com

For any and all questions.
    Last edited by JamesArndt; 03-31-2013 at 10:05 AM.

UPDATED:

Finished the concepts/layouts for outdoor Track 2 (A-F configs) for Super Kart Racing. These are concepts for the first outdoor track featured in the game. Want to learn more about the game? Visit www.superkartracing.com

So I was grilled today on the business end of things and I thought I would share the questions I was asked about Super Kart Racing in an online interview:

Asset content plans? -Yes I plan on asset content that will be high quality for mobile. I was a developer on multiple Need for Speed games, so I know good visual fidelity.

Environments? - An ample amount both indoor and outdoor tracks. Will also be very high visual fidelity with baked in lighting via lightmaps and simulated real time lighting on the karts using light probes in Unity.

Gameplay? - This will be the most time consuming aspect. Endless tweaking of physics settings, track length and width, obstacles, barriers, AI, etc. It all comes down to the fun factor being in each and every track.

1.) Will you implement vehicle mesh deformation for future iterations/updates once released to IOS/Android stores?

Answer: I have no plans to do mesh deformation on the karts for these game. Maybe in future games, but it's just an expense I don't see the benefit of in this project.

2.) Are there plans to utilize monetization streams such as inapp/micro transactions?

Answer: Yep! I plan to use IAPs for most of the monetization of this game. Will include new environments, new kart models, new customization decals, etc.

3.) What are your thoughts on retention rates for the casual mobile gamer excluding the core racing audience this game will initially capture?

Answer: I think releasing any game with a high level of polish, a high level of replay value (via it's fun factor and multiplayer aspects) will result in good retention rates. Consistent updates for bug fixes or new features will help with retention as well.

4.) Was your choice of toolset to develop this project based on proprietary software developer fees incurred post release or logic based?

Answer: The costs incurred for development software were something I absorbed Feb 2010, when I first started up fatBOX software and purchased the Mac hardware and Unity Game Engine. I was already a long time owner and user of 3DS Max and Photoshop. Those are the only costs I absorbed up front. The cost of plugins for Unity (for multiplayer), Android testing hardware will be absorbed from funding from the Indiegogo campaign for Super Kart Racing.

Hope I gave thorough answers! If you want to contribute and be part of this process look in my profile signature and follow the link to the Indiegogo development campaign. Thank you for taking the time to ask me these questions, it's always good info to know.

Working on a new funding campaign setup.

Art update.

Technical look at the kart and driver models.

Moga controllers came in the mail today. They set me up with the Pro controller and two of the regular controllers. What awesome people! Looking forward to developing with these and working with them on marketing!

They feel awesome, very much like holding a Nintendo DS or PS Vita.

Removed redundant information.
    Last edited by JamesArndt; 03-31-2013 at 10:06 AM.

These are the first revision of menu screen mockups I've finished. More than likely they will undergo some changes to design or aesthetic, but for the most part they are solid. Looking forward to cutting these up and plugging them into NGUI atlases soon.

Updated information.
    Last edited by JamesArndt; 03-28-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Finally have this track taken from 2d concept to full 3d environment. Proud to finally show off the first outdoor track for SKR (Glen Meadows). This is still a WIP, but very near to completion. Next up - to be placed into Unity and lighting baked in. As you can see from the face count, this environment came in very optimized, which is perfect for running on mobile hardware!

I've been pretty busy on this one. Here is a finished 2d track concept based on the real world location Rock Island, IL. This is basically the drawing I will use to model the track and place major landmarks.

This is what it looks like in real life to drive around this location.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F29Y-dhk7DI

Remember, every reward tier (even the $5) gets a full version of the game for PC and or Mac.

Super Kart Racing on Kickstarter

Time lapse video of me setting up blueprints to model another racing kart. I will be doing an entire series of these all through the modeling, animation, rigging and texturing process. Basically up until it gets into Unity and is implemented in game.