Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Path of Exile (aka the real Diablo 3)

I'm playing it. That means it's F2P. Being a poor college student I haven't spent money on a game more than a few quid for a while.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Dude, my two favorite games on PC are F2P - and I'd call them the best in the genre: Path of Exile and Tribes Ascend. Then there's still Planetside 2 and TF2!

[Level 6: Robot]
    Tribes was ruined by hitscan weapons It just isn't the same any more.

Are tribes and Planetside graphically demanding? I can run tf2 without issue, but those both look a bi more taxing.

What settings do you run tf2 on?

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Great so Tribes is fucked now? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO

Guess I'll play some free Mechwarrior then.

Tribes got fucked ages ago.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Lovely. Just got a decent rig up and running, had that on my list.

Give it a try, if you didn't already play it you probably won't care.

As low as possible, but I'm fairly certain I can go higher. I don't care about graphics at all, only reason they're down there is for the sake of smoothness.

I'd say just give them a try, tribes is extremely fast paced though so if you get less than 30fps it's going to be pretty unplayable.

The emphasis on bullet-based rifles/pistols in the Tribes Ascend is unfortunate, but the game is still extremely excellent. The only hitscan weapons are a pistol, super-short ranged shotgun, and the slow-charging sniper rifle. Also, the game is EXTREMELY friendly on low-end computers. If the Low settings aren't low enough, there are a bunch of manual tweaks you can do to the .ini file. You can get it looking like an N64 game or Minecraft-esque with those tweaks. My 512MB 9800GT card could easily handle it on Medium settings without v-sync. My 2GB HD7850 tears through it on most things cranked up to max.

Planetside 2 is a notably more demanding. Great game, though. Feels like an FPS version of the old RvR in DAoC, where Faction A attacking Faction B causes Faction C to sneak in behind and capture parts of Faction A.

Also, Path of Exile is highly playable, too. My 512MB 9800GT had no problems with everything on Medium settings without v-sync, and my new card has everything maxed (only 4 samples of aniso, and 2x AA) with v-sync enabled.

The 9800gt was such a good card.

Quote Originally Posted by noobspoon View Post
    The 9800gt was such a good card.
    Yeah it was/is. The funny thing is that my previous computer had an ATi 9800XT. THAT was a great card, too.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/213675

They're finalizing the waves of predominantly beta bug squashing patches and they're planning on adding a new skill each week! The first is an additional fire spell, which will be followed by an AoE melee skill. Several uniques are slated for release in the patches as well!

Can't express how much I love this game.

I found this game through the MMO Grinder and I love it, that's what I can say. I probably played at least 10 hours yesterday (4 hours then 6 hours later). It's like reliving Diablo 2 with a modern look to it and thirsting my lust for grinding and looting like Torchlight series does.

I do have multiple characters so if you see these names, that's me:

Glaice - Marauder
    InfernalSkies - Templar
    ThatWillowKid - Duelist

Tomorrow is the second weekly patch of many to come adding a new skill. Last week was a flamethrower-esque intelligence spell, this week brings a whirlwind melee skill for Str&Dex.

Also, there are multiple season races going on, where you create a character and instead of choosing normal or hardcore modes, you enter a temporary league that assigns points to player accounts for reaching certain plvls, completing certain quests, and being the fastest. Some races are a few hours, some are a week long.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/400347

New patch with huge changes! Damage and life are getting revamped, melee classes are getting some love, new options for loot distribution, new leagues with special events/items, etc, etc.

I haven't had much time at all to game in the last two months or so, but I've popped on for an hour a few times every other week or so. It's still a million times better than Diablo 3, and the game it shoudl have been.

This looks goddamn amazing. *sigh* Maybe when I start saving up for a pc again.

It's super low demanding, and completely free, so give it a go! My wife's $400 integrated graphics laptop could run it at the lowest settings at 25+ fps.

It really is an amazing game.