Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Meet me, the next ruler of the App Store gaming market

dtoidrolleye Meet me, the next ruler of the App Store gaming market

Update:

Fangz should be out next week!

Here are the game's trailers:

Hello everyone,

I'm one of those guys that was a bit fed up with my day to day job (worked as a Systems Architect in a large multinational telecom vendor company), and decided that I'd take some time off to make something I really liked.

Since I wanted to be original, I decided to do a zombie game. However, by the time I had everything setup, a couple of thousands of people had also been very original and released their zombie game first...
    I was disgusted by the lack of originality of these people. The one who had thought of a zombie game first was ME! (yes, I'm that old) I was mad at these mind reading copycats!

So I decided to innovate. And after a full thirty two seconds of intense brainstorming, I came up with something that's truly original and will take the world by storm... I present you... FANGZ! A zombie vampire side scroller beat'em/shoot'em up. Ha! Take that you zombie copy cat devs!

On a more serious tone, I think I have something special here. The graphics and animation of this game are phenomenal (try to do anything in 2d and you'll understand), you actually bump into enemies and objects (as opposed to just going through them, as in most 2.5d games), and the game is really addicting (and hard). I'm an old gamer, one of those guys that had an Elite status in the Elite game, and I miss games that actually make you work hard to reach the end (i.e. not pay hard to reach the end).

So, here's a teaser video (just one enemy type shown, but there are much more) and a couple of screenshots.
    Feel free to praise me for my originality. If you feel like bashing me, by all means do, but do it in a constructive way. If there's a lesson I've learned through my years, is that I'll keep on learning till I die

Feel free to drop by at http://facebook.com/fangz.game or follow us (actually mostly me) @gamewhizzes

See you around,
    Alex

P.S.- I'm going to open up a game thread in the official game threads forum and I'll post an update here.

Last edited by Game Whiz; 04-12-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Admin / Midget King
    That actually looks pretty rad. When are you planning on releasing it on Android, and do you know about what price you'll charge? Thank you for doing it right by making an intro, and welcome to the Forums!

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Yeah, I'm really digging the art-style. I'll keep this on my radar.

Welcome.

[Level 6: Robot]
    This looks pretty awesome. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mxy Yost View Post
    That actually looks pretty rad. When are you planning on releasing it on Android, and do you know about what price you'll charge? Thank you for doing it right by making an intro, and welcome to the Forums!
    Hey! Thank you for the kind words. Of course I'd do the right thing. I never heard of anyone ruling the world without following Destructoid's etiquette.

I'm planning on releasing Fangz until March 19th (the end of this winter). If everything goes incredibly well, Android and iOS versions should come out at the same time. That being said, things could derail very easily, mostly because Android is a very fragmented market and it's a bit harder to develop for. I'm also not 100% sure on the release date, since this game, three consoles, two daughters, a cat and Elite: Dangerous are competing for my attention right now

Price should be $.99. A game with this quality and amount of content should be priced way higher, but I'm still totally unknown in the market, so I can only compete in quality and price. The game will be universal, meaning that it will work in phones and tablets, using different resolution assets as needed (I went all the way up to ultra HD resolution) and resizing and repositioning the GUI as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaDukes View Post
    Yeah, I'm really digging the art-style. I'll keep this on my radar.

Welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by noobspoon View Post
    This looks pretty awesome. Welcome.

Thanks for making me feel welcome. I respect this community a lot and I look forward to hearing you curse when you play this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Game Whiz View Post
    I'm planning on releasing Fangz until March 19th
    Yay! Happy birthday to me!

Quote Originally Posted by PappaDukes View Post
    Yay! Happy birthday to me!
    I'll give you a free copy just because of that

Admin / Midget King
    Price should be $.99. A game with this quality and amount of content should be priced way higher, but I'm still totally unknown in the market, so I can only compete in quality and price. The game will be universal, meaning that it will work in phones and tablets, using different resolution assets as needed (I went all the way up to ultra HD resolution) and resizing and repositioning the GUI as needed.
    THANK YOU. There's still a number of android games that look great on my phone, but when I try to play on my Nexus 10 the low-res graphics become really noticeable and the GUI is tiny or out of place. Sounds like a steal for $.99!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mxy Yost View Post
    THANK YOU. There's still a number of android games that look great on my phone, but when I try to play on my Nexus 10 the low-res graphics become really noticeable and the GUI is tiny or out of place. Sounds like a steal for $.99!
    There is a drawback to this approach: the file size is big. I expect the final APK size to be half a gig. But I think it beats having a SD, HD and UHD version of the game.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    New Dtoid drinking game: take a shot every time a noob comes in to pimp their new game or Youtube/Twitch channel.

Your game does look pretty solid, though. Welcome!

I'll give you a free copy just because of that
    Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by BadStar View Post
    New Dtoid drinking game: take a shot every time a noob comes in to pimp their new game or Youtube/Twitch channel.

Your game does look pretty solid, though. Welcome!
    No soup for you!

But thanks for welcoming me

This actually looks pretty cool.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Threads remind me of Dev cards... I got so many Cards at Magfest... multiple times from the same Developer. Game does look neat, I'll buy it on one condition. Bear mod, I need a ferocious bear wielding a chainsaw and I'm sold.

Don't do it for me, do it for Jesus. He loves bears to (and you'll sell more!)

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Well I have a badass Android phone and absolutely love the art style. Sign me the hell up. Especially for the great deal price of .99!

Oh and many welcomes! Awesome you put that much into your intro, rather than be a Spammy McSpammerson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post
    This actually looks pretty cool.
    And this is just a glimpse. If you don't laugh out loud when you see the game's official trailer, then I haven't done my job

Quote Originally Posted by N7 View Post
    Threads remind me of Dev cards... I got so many Cards at Magfest... multiple times from the same Developer. Game does look neat, I'll buy it on one condition. Bear mod, I need a ferocious bear wielding a chainsaw and I'm sold.

Don't do it for me, do it for Jesus. He loves bears to (and you'll sell more!)
    Damn, I'm an atheist!! But just for you I'll convert to catholicism tomorrow, the day after tomorrow I'll learn to love Jesus and then, if the game sells enough for me to rehire my designer, I'll do the bear. And... wait for it... there are light sabres!! Oh yeah!! Bears with light sabres sounds like fun

Quote Originally Posted by PhilKenSebben View Post
    Well I have a badass Android phone and absolutely love the art style. Sign me the hell up. Especially for the great deal price of .99!

Oh and many welcomes! Awesome you put that much into your intro, rather than be a Spammy McSpammerson.
    Thanks! I personally hate spammers and I read quite a few Destructoid intros before doing mine. After noticing that around 80% of the people here seem to be as wacked as I am, I felt right at home. On that tone, you may like to know that this game uses child labor. I had the idea of having a bird screaming to kill off vamps (they have sensitive ears) but after squeezing a dozen birds, I reached the conclusion that they don't really scream when they're squeezed (it's more like a strange muffled crunching sound). So I asked my eldest daughter to scream... and now she's immortalised forever

Hi everyone,

If you've got an iThingy and would like to beta test Fangz, please email me at support at gamewhizzes.com. Only iPeople for now. The Android beta should be in around two weeks.

Thanks,
    Alex

[Level 5: Mech]
    I'm not sure how I feel about the virtual sticks/buttons. My thumbs tend to drift unless there's something for them to stick to.

Quote Originally Posted by Konnery View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about the virtual sticks/buttons. My thumbs tend to drift unless there's something for them to stick to.
    This is a non issue with Fangz. Not that your fingers won't drift, but the virtual controls are so pretty that you'll actually be happy when they do

On a more serious note, I've made the direction wheel very sensitive, so that you can play with minimal finger sliding. It's very very playable. In the first update I'll probably add iCade support.

[Level 3: Humanoid] CarbonRevenge's Avatar
    Welcome!

Your game looks sweet. Planning a PC release for it? I'd give it a go if you did. I'd actually pay more like $10 to experience it on PC.

I think it'd be worth the time to adapt it for PC.