Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Expectations from "The Big Three"

[Level 4: Cyborg] IsolateMutate's Avatar
    THAT ONE PLACE IN SCANDINAVIA NOBODY GIVES A FUCK ABOUT

2013 - Expectations from "The Big Three"

please don't murder me if this kinda thread exists already, i sure as hell couldn't find any

So it's a new year, and odds are we're gonna see some big things happening from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, especially considering MS and Sony are likely to announce new consoles. The question is, what are you expecting from them and what do you want?

Microsoft is most likely gonna announce a new console and kind of just be like "it has halo and stuff". I can't really see how they can fuck up at all, unless they decide their new console is some kinda Kinect-suit or some shit.

Nintendo has already been doing pretty well this year, announcing plenty of new IP's and things that don't suck. ..That's about all I expect and want from them, lol.

I've always been a pretty big Sony fan, but if there's one thing that's on pretty much everyone's mind, it's this: Sony needs to get their shit together. Best way is probably to play it kinda safe with their new console (if they do announce it), get a ton of good games secured for it and fix the fucking Vita situation. Seriously, the device itself is nice, but nobody wants to pay for those stupid fucking overpriced memory cards for a library of like 4 good games or so.

uh yeah go ahead and say things

Disappointment.

That's not a knife...
    Nothing as good as what Steam will have.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    Disappointment.
    Yeah, a lot of this, but mostly from Nintendo. I just really don't feel the excitement in the air for the WiiU like everyone did with the Wii.

Aside from announcing a new console, I don't know what to expect from Microsoft. Probably even more apps for Nike and shit.

Like the OP, I'm more of a Sony fan. I expect they'll also announce a new console, but it may not be at E3. Maybe TGS? I think they'll drop the price on the Vita for sure. I think that and probably a new Vita SKU will be their big thing (for hardware, at least) at E3.

I expect to continue to have no interest in anything Nintendo. I expect Microsoft to announce an underwhelming new console or otherwise continue to squeeze life out of the Xbox 360 whilst maintaining the worst value for money premium gaming service. I expect Sony to fail to do anything amazing, but if they could announce the next PlayStation with PS3 back compatibility I'd be listening... or a PS3 price drop.

Sam is probably right. 2013 could always be the year Half Life 3 is announced.

Yeah, I'm not very optimistic about the next gen, if that's what we're getting this year. I'd prefer to see more effort just being put into making more interesting games than new hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by djnealb View Post
    I think they'll drop the price on the Vita for sure.

I really hope they do this, or at the very least drop the price radically of the memory cards. I'll have the funds for a Vita some time around June, so whether they drop the price or not will literally be what makes the decision for me.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I expect Sony and Microsoft to announce underpowered and overpriced media centres which happen to play games. Can't wait.

I also expect to buy a Vita, because I don't care. The library is limited and I don't necessarily trust Sony to sort their shit out, but there's still enough there to justify the price for me. I already have two of the games I want, plus some others anyway thanks to PS+.

If there is really nothing on offer then I go back to what I said about hopefully seeing a price cut on PS3s, can start a whole new backlog some day.

Overpriced media centres that will launch with Nathan Drake or Marcus Fenix's mush all over them.

This could be the generation I ignore as most games I play are multi platform and can be had on the cheap via any given Steam holiday sale.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by IsolateMutate View Post
    I really hope they do this, or at the very least drop the price radically of the memory cards. I'll have the funds for a Vita some time around June, so whether they drop the price or not will literally be what makes the decision for me.
    Unfortunately, I think those memory cards are here to stay. If they do drop the price, then it will only be to introduce a new higher capacity card at the top pay tier and then drop the others down one notch and maybe cancel the 4 gig card. Actually, that's not a bad idea...

[Level 6: Robot]
    Microsoft - I expect more shitty non-game related announcements that don't fucking matter because the 360 is a fucking console first, and a shitty "media hub" last. Also, maybe a new console, but at this point in the industry, really don't need it unless it's going to break some ground.

Nintendo - I want my new Zelda, dammit. I know I'm getting it in both a new game, and the gorgeous Wind Waker HD remake, but I want it now!

Sony - Just don't fuck up. That's all I'm asking for this year. If you announce a new console, I will most likely laugh, if it's $599 USD, I will laugh harder, and if you fuck up your own brand name again (Remember the Playstaion?), I will just give up on you and focus on continuing to build my PS1 collection.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    All I can say is that whatever Sony does, it will be glorious, and I will purchase whatever it is.

WHATEVER IT IS.

That's not a knife...
    I wasn't joking with what I said. I'm almost surprised Steam isn't considered a fourth contender.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I am only certain it will all remain inferior to my PC. If Japan can keep getting on board with it (Dark Souls 2 yeeeeeeeeah!) I'm not going to be needing another console ever. Obviously Nintendo stuff will never get there, but I don't think I've played a Nintendo console game since my GC days, so I can live.

I agree that both Sony and Microsoft are going to be shilling all-in-one gaming media centers, and I hope neither succeed, because having to go through their closed platform sucks for developers and consumers. They wouldn't even have a chance if more open platforms weren't segmented between the unresolved and inevitable collision between the growing power of Android ARM devices and the shrinking size of x86/64 PC platforms. I don't know how that's all gonna pan out, but my obvious hope would be for Valve's support to help PC based devices break into this market...

I was considering adding Valve / Steam on there since they're supposedly going to break into the console market (Well, kind of), but I wasn't too sure whether it was set in stone yet or not. Having a console with the same kinda sales and whatnot as PC gamers experience on steam would probably destroy Sony & Microsoft, though.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    2013 will canbe interesant, new videogame console XBox 720 and PS4, new interesant videogames: Ciber Conect's JoJo's bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle, Capcom's Dark Stalkers 4, Sega's Sonic 4: episode 3, and SNKPlaymore, spoke at the end of past year 2012, that 2013 can be a good year for Metal Slug run and gun videogame.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Halo

Mario

Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Line View Post
    2013 will canbe interesant, new videogame console XBox 720 and PS4, new interesant videogames: Ciber Conect's JoJo's bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle, Capcom's Dark Stalkers 4, Sega's Sonic 4: episode 3, and SNKPlaymore, spoke at the end of past year 2012, that 2013 can be a good year for Metal Slug run and gun videogame.
    I think somebody is trying to pass as human (or at least one that can communicate in English) before blowing a spammy load.

That made me imagine spam being ejaculated. Guess it'd be like a sausage maker with the odd chunk of compressed meat flying across thw room. Tasty.