Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Killer is Dead

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I was wondering after beating the game how Mondo got Musselback, and then I found this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suda 51
    Itíll never be said in the actual game. But, the concept is that Mondo was one of the assassins that killed Osama Bin Laden, and in the [Killer is Dead] world, when thereís somebody thatís really bad, and they have this malice within them, when you execute them that malice will be transferred to the person who killed them. Mondo was part of the team that took down Bin Laden, and the other team members were affected as well. In fact, one of the team members will be showing up in the game. Mondoís arm got infected, and he couldnít control itóso he had to change it into a mechanical arm. But, thatís not explained in the game; thatís just the concept, where the basis of the game started from.
    Full interview.

That's interesting. There seems to be loads of little tidbits like that about the game and its crazy inspirations that you wouldn't even guess. I always assumed that he got his arm from the government, or wherever Bryan got his mechanical bits as well.

Although I think Suda makes a bit of an understatement when he simply says Mondo had to "change" his arm. Obviously he said that before the game came out, so he didn't want to give away spoilers.

Then again, maybe he's just making shit up for the hell of it. The game itself doesn't really leave much to the imagination as to why Mondo gets a new arm, although that backstory could probably still fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrustle View Post
    Then again, maybe he's just making shit up for the hell of it.
    I wouldn't be surprised, the whole game was pretty gonzo.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Interesting. Having not finished the story yet I was just assuming that there was some accuracy to the dreams/visions/flashbacks that Mondo has in some levels. So as far as I know right now the scene where it gets cut off and he gets dumped in Bryan's office was how he ended up getting it.

Okay, so I finished the downloadable mission that came with my premium edition copy.
    It was good. Felt very different from the futuristic style of the other levels, and had some interesting enemy variations (basically those annoying Wires that roll at you on the train level, but weaker and with a vampiric blood draining attack, the rolling variation appears too). On the timeline of the game, I think this occurs either before or after the first dream mission, definitely before the Tiger mission (which annoyed me when I first played through the game, they make mention of a vampire in that level). The boss fight is fun, relying heavily on the gun tho' since he flies. Gigolo mission directly copies the opening of the first one (and the setting too) but otherwise is different. Overall, good quality stuff.... which makes it so much more disappointing it seems to have been spliced out of the main game, since the almost empty European globe section is mostly filled up by the content. The boss makes mention of David, and you have a bit of a conversation with that unicorn. So, I like it, but I'm also bummed that it wasn't just in the game. It apparently being on-disc makes it that much worse.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    The boss looks so much like J. Jonah Jameson.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    The boss looks so much like J. Jonah Jameson.
    Very true. I thought the same when I saw him.

Playing through the game I didn't really feel it was unfair that the content was DLC though. I just took the mention of fighting a vampire as a throwaway line talking about one of the many escapades Mondo has been on that we just didn't get to see. He probably does loads of shit outside of the story of the game. But after actually playing it it does seem unfair that it was DLC. Like I've mentioned before, it's even on-disc DLC as well. When you download the code you get with the game, the file is only a few hundred kB, so it must just be an unlock key. So fuck that shit. They're obviously planning to release it later for everyone. If not, then that's even fucking worse. If everyone has content that most people simply can't access, that's a load of bollocks.

It was a pretty fun mission too. The conversation with the unicorn had me literally laughing out loud. The voice acting when he neighs at the end is bloody hilarious. In Japanese that is. I played most of the game with the Japanese VO, but I've started a second playthrough all on English now. It's clear the lip syncing was made to fit an English VO rather than Japanese. Some of the voices in English are a bit dodgy though. Unlike the VO in the No More Heroes games. That was perfect.

Is the unicorn ever explained?

Errr... I think there's something, but not really anything substantial. Like some throwaway line saying how he's Mondo's "guardian spirit", or something like that, or that he's the embodiment of something or other. I think that actually comes in the DLC mission too. But still, whatever they say it isn't much. His role in the story is pretty much that he shows up and saves Mondo when...

Spoiler!

Mostly he's just another element of the story that's there just because. I don't mind stuff like that though. Sometimes I like delving in to a fictional world that doesn't make any sense.

I thought there'd be a reason for him saving Mondo, but I suppose him being a 'guardian spirit' is enough explanation for a Suda game. Thanks.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I need to stop watching Farscape every night and finish the last few missions. As for the Mission 51 DLC, I'd be fine with it being separate if it weren't taking place between Missions 7 and 8 (or 6 and 7, can't recall exactly which) and referenced in the main levels. To me all that does is make it feel like it was in there but cut out just to provide a Day One incentive.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I thought there'd be a reason for him saving Mondo, but I suppose him being a 'guardian spirit' is enough explanation for a Suda game. Thanks.
    It's just that he's been with Mondo since he was a kid, as seen in the dream.

Well that was unexpected. But more games on more platforms is never a bad thing. It's a shame that content isn't coming to the console versions though, if that is the case. Although I wouldn't be that interested in Nightmare Mode, I'm sure plenty of people would be. I'd like to see what that Theatre Mode has to offer though.