Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice: Arcade?

Advice: Arcade?

I have been thinking for a long time now about putting some money back and buying arcade machines to open my own place. A post on the front page got me thinking that I can ask a ton of people what they think about them nowadays right here.

First a bit of background info.

I live in a town that is basically part of Indianapolis, Indiana (south of it but basically part of it). And this idea came about when me and some of my friends were driving around town with money in our pockets and nothing fun to do. There really are no places for people of middle school to high school age to hang out.

The only place that has an arcade is a place called Great Times. They at one point in time had all of the old sweet ass games like KI2 and Area 51 but since the whole violent video game thing sprang up have since moved towards making the place more "family friendly", I.E. it sucks ass.

So I did some looking around and found that alot of older arcade machines sell for fairly cheap since most arcades no longer want to carry games that may be of questionable nature. Examples of this are MK2 for $150 KI2 for $250, etc.

And at this point in time major road construction has drove the property value on Main Street, an area where just about every kid in town could make it to, to the lowest they have been in a long time. But as soon as they are done making all the stupid towers and shit the value is gona jump.

Also, I talked to some of the managers at Great Times and they said that they still have their arcade boards somewhere. I might be able to pick them up cheap.

This sounds like a good idea, but I am afraid that if I gamble and dive into this I may screw myself. If I do try, I have to go in %110 to break even. If it fails I could end up in debt.

I'm just scared that I open up and see nothing but an empty arcade. I don't think I could take that.

So what do you guys think? What kind of games would you want, what would you do, how would you do it?

I figure who better to ask then a buncha gamers.

buying arcade games for yourself, cool idea.
    better idea, making your own mame/arcade cabinet.

now trying to start up your own arcade... i dont see it as an industry that is going anywhere, unless you are able to find something to make it better/different. i forget the name of that place, but the one that has an arcade and a bar... something like that would work maybe.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    The whole cabinet stuff can be done with a mid range pc or even an Xbox with a few h4x or something

I'd definitely have some sort of chilled out bar. Have under 18's or 21's be accompanied by an adult or something and you're fine. I'd love to go to a place like that, play some games, have a drink with friends. It's almost like the local nightclub I guess, except when you're at Maximes you can't hear a damn thing for about 3hrs after you leave anyway...

I say do some maths, some research etc and start it up. You could have a certain Robot do the grand opening...

I'm not much keen on the drinking, I do want some good food there like bar food cheese fries (omg *drools*). But this area has alot of bars that hae been there a long time.

And I don't want a buncha drunk jackasses getting beer on my games anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by PacoDG

now trying to start up your own arcade... i dont see it as an industry that is going anywhere, unless you are able to find something to make it better/different. i forget the name of that place, but the one that has an arcade and a bar... something like that would work maybe.
    Are you thinking of Dave & Busters?

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk
    Quote Originally Posted by PacoDG

That or Barcade.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Focus more on the "bar" aspect. Throw some arcade cabinets and a wireless internet access point in adn you're good.

I was more thinking along the lines pretzles and junk, but a full blown restraunt & arcade would be cool.

I was also thinking of holding some kinda weekly lan tournys or somthing, maybe some kinda lock in deal. Alot of ideas floating around. But I would really want to stay away from serving drinks since my target customers are gona be just under drinking age.

My Dad always jokes that we should open up an arcade in town. I would think that with the right advertising (grassroots approach?) and some good machines, you could have a killer arcade on your hands.

I would personally try to get some classics like Donkey Kong, Pac-man, Galaga plus all the essential fighters. Hell, you could maybe even throw in a little lounge area with newer systems. Lan parties w/ cash prizes would definitely bring in the gamers.

People only go to Arcades now to play driving games and DDR. Personally, I fucking love arcades for Time Crisis, and Artic Thunder, but really, not a lot of people visit arcades anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk
    Thats the place! I dont have one near me, but I wish there was one, too many touristy places in Orlando gets boring after a while, I don't drink, but my friends do, so a 'barcade' would fit me perfect

MAME arcade and beer FTW.

Go with the arcade & bar idea, ever played pac-man drunk?

I think you all drink too much.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoex
    I think you all drink too much.
    You act as if that is news.

two words. hookers.

edit: what i meant to say was "make sure there are none of these."

make it a good ol fashion chuck e cheese's.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    simply having a place that offers games and food/snacks/all ages, not the greatest idea. sure you and you're friends may be cool, but underage dickheads will flock there as well, especially if there isn't much else going on in your town. you never wan't the young 'hangout' to be your business because
    -these kids don't have any real money yet
    -people will hang out and not spend money
    -violence, drugs, etc.

buyin cabs is a great hobby. building cabs is an even better one. if you want a business model, you will have to offer up something unique. the reason barcade succeeds has a lot more to do with the atmosphere and beverages served, the games are just a perk.

a while back I attended a local Arcade game expo. it was hosted at a hotel, had a huge selectio of vintage arcade games (including pinball!) from private exhibitors, and all games were required to be set to free-play to be a part of the expo. attendees only had to pay a door fee, after that, all the game you could play, all night until they closed the thing down. the hotel also had a cocktail bar. see where i'm going with this? an arcade / bar with a cover charge at the door, and all games set to freeplay. you'd get my business, for sure. kids really aren't going to be interested in arcade games, because the stuff coming out on pc's and consoles now is much more intricate.... arcades are nostalgic, and as such, market it toward the hip 20- and 30-something market that grew up with it in the 80's-90's who are pining for the good old days of ms. pacman and galaga, and are craving the real arcade experience to make it whole. (and hell, you can set aside saturday mornings for the kiddies, and serve juice or something, if you feel the need to include them. set a special saturday morning family pack, between 10:00 and at 3:00 pm, then close the shop, and clean it up for the adult crowd who'll be coming in.

do that, and you'd have me, and my circle of game-nerd friends as regular customers (offer void if you don't live where I live.)

This is my entry for the dead post revival championships.

This happened.

https://www.facebook.com/bossbattlegamesindy/

Kudos to you for giving it a shot, man.

THE MR.E BIRD
    That's pretty darn awesome. Congratulations!