Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spelunky!

[Level 8: Skynet]

Spelunky!

The updated version of Spelunky is out on Steam now. I've been one of the people always crying about it being unfair that this version of the game was a Live Arcade exclusive, being a huge fan of the original freeware version. The original's still one of my most played games of the last few years, so I've been eagerly awaiting this release.

Anyone else bought it yet? Already own the 360 version? Feel like talking about the Freeware Original? Had some weird shit happen to them? Thrown some damsels further than they've ever been thrown before? Or just feel like discussing the daily challenges or multiplayer stuff? This is the thread!

Friggin' love Spelunky. Spent the last week or so putting the finishing touches on a pretty huge guide and uploaded it to Steam today. I'm currently the only guide on there, which is pretty cool.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Already sunk almost 4hrs into it. The freeware is one of my all time favs. Very glad this not only lives up to it, but surpasses it. Ill check out your guide Turtle.

Cool, thanks Mike. I wrote it with the intention of putting it up on the Cblogs but it appears to be way too big. Emailed support but while I was waiting I figured I may as well throw it up on Steam.

I'll have to check out that guide! The original Spelunky's been with me for a good 5 years. Even played it while I was homeless on a USB stick I still had on me because there was nothing else to do at the shelter besides watch TV and mess around on computers with security filters that blocked everything.

Played the new version pretty much all day yesterday. Since I've avoided pretty much all videos and discussions about this version since it dropped on Live Arcade, I get to go in with a completely fresh experience, unaware of all the changes that it brought to the game. The first new item I found (a camera, bought from a shopkeeper) immediately got me killed as I tried testing it out on the shopkeeper. When that happened I realized I've got a lot of exploring and stupidity ahead of me again. Felt really good.

Tried the Daily Dungeon for the first time. Probably my worst run yet.
    Last edited by AboveUp; 08-10-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Ouch! >_<

I know this probably won't mean anything to anyone but me but Dtoider NikSG pointed out to me during his twitch stream that if you fire a shotgun and jump at the exact same time it doubles your jump height, much like if you had the spring shoes.

I messed around with it a bit and it's sort of crazy. On top of that, if you do have the spring shoes, the shotgun jump doubles that. It also works with the Freeze Ray. I've never seen anyone bring this up before, so thought I'd toss it in here.

I appreciate that tip. Will experiment tomorrow.

Really? I'll have to start experimenting with that myself. I knew there was something off about the backwards momentum the shotgun gives you, so it makes sense in a way.

My only problem with this version of the game so far is the exploding frogs spawning inside the Black Market. Every time I can afford the Ankh, one of them jumps into a spike trap and detonates. Then the shopkeepers chase me as if it's my fault.

Starting to give up on going to the City of Gold in this version because of it.
    Last edited by AboveUp; 08-14-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AboveUp View Post
    Really? I'll have to start experimenting with that myself. I knew there was something off about the backwards momentum the shotgun gives you, so it makes sense in a way.

My only problem with this version of the game so far is the exploding frogs spawning inside the Black Market. Every time I can afford the Ankh, one of them jumps into a spike trap and detonates. Then the shopkeepers chase me as if it's my fault.

Starting to give up on going to the City of Gold in this version because of it.
    Yeah, that always sucks. Although, I'm trying to remember the last time I went to the Black Market and didn't try to rob it...

I don't think I've ever made it out of the Black Market alive after trying that. Doesn't stop me from attempting it every now and again.

Also, the shotgun thing saved my life a few times already.

It's so cool! After a little practice I was able to make it work for running jumps, too. If I could capture video and upload to YouTube, I'd be making tutorial vids for some of this stuff. I love this game.

I probably will have to mess with my keyboard settings, I've tried making it work with running jumps, but I think the entire action is canceled because I'm pressing too many buttons.

Fucking hell. I can count the number of times I've survived the Mothership on one hand. Such a deadly stage.

Huh forgot this thread existed. Just been posting in the Daily Challenge one. Maybe have them merged? Anyways, I have been practicing my shop keeper killing and I think I'm starting to get it down. I won't go after them unless I have enough bombs or the boomerang or shottie though. UNLESS.... there is a jetpack. Christ that thing makes the game almost too easy.

Nah, the other one is just for Daily Challenge posts. This one can be for complaining or sharing strategies. I'm not a forum mod or anything but I appreciate them being separated.

Oh ok. Makes sense. Im not a mod either, just thought it would sense to collapse them, but I see both sides.

Had over $700,000 (a new high for me) and was working my way through Hell. Got to the bottom of 5-1 after killing Vlad and stealing his Amulet. An angry shopkeeper was waiting for me at the exit (as they have since 1-2) but he was in a very tight spot. I was out of bombs and decided to try and land on his head with my Spike Shoes.

I probably should have waited a little longer to formulate a better plan. He slapped me into his tiny room and whittled my health down while I cried. I could have easily hit 1M that time. FUCK!!

Played co-op Spelunky last night, experimented a ton with a friend. Figured out your friend doesn't take damage if you throw him through an enemy. A dead friend can make the Shopkeeper fall and drop his shotgun when you blow at him. You can sacrifice your friend for good items.

Good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AboveUp View Post
    Played co-op Spelunky last night, experimented a ton with a friend. Figured out your friend doesn't take damage if you throw him through an enemy. A dead friend can make the Shopkeeper fall and drop his shotgun when you blow at him. You can sacrifice your friend for good items.

Good fun.
    I actually got the co-op achievement by myself using a lot of those tactics. Surprisingly easy since they respawn on the very next level.