Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioshock: Infinite

[Level 5: Mech]

Bioshock: Infinite

Holy shit, this I was not expecting from Irrational. Mind officially blown.

Are you psyched for this game? I was a huge fan of the original, and it was nice to return to Rapture in the sequel, but seeing the franchise return to Levine's hands really makes me happy.

However, the time-frame (early 1900's) could present a few problems. I don't see how the music will be as interesting (I'm not really keen on any of the music from the 1910's, in fact), and I don't know if portable machine guns had even been invented that early on. However, I do know that nothing even close to sound recording devices had been made, so I don't know what they'll do with the cassette portions.

Also, since it's set in the sky, how will the powers play out without the sea slugs/little sisters required for plasmids? The setting seems surprisingly cheery in contrast with the constant feeling of impending doom that was Rapture.

Still, there's really no question that I'll be picking this up day one.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    Just got done reading Samit's preview of this and I am highly impressed, if a little disappointed that it's going to be an FPS (not that I should have expected otherwise). It doesn't come out until 2012, though. D:

What's the theme?

Looks pretty good.

Trailer

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/12/bi...n-2012-see-th/

I hope it doesn't drag at the end(like Bioshock), and I hope it has some vehicle sections.

Honkey Kong
    Hell fucking yes. 2 was surprisingly really good. I can't wait to see how the original developers further expand that.

Still responds to BLOO

This looks amazing. I'm psyched to see such a colorful FPS. Also, olde tyme airships, definitely awesome to see something like this outside Final Fantasy.

There's a city in the fucking sky and your worried about whether or not machine guns had been invented?
    This makes me so much better than Gyrael.

Honkey Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bloodspray View Post
    There's a city in the fucking sky and your worried about whether or not machine guns had been invented?
    For real. What you on about OP?

Quote Originally Posted by VenatioDecorus View Post
    This looks amazing. I'm psyched to see such a colorful FPS. Also, olde tyme airships, definitely awesome to see something like this outside Final Fantasy.
    It was odd, but I kind of got an FF vibe from parts of the trailer, too.

I'm really going to be interested in how the infinitely expanded color scheme (pun intended) will compliment the general themes of the game. Much like the original Bioshock, or even Metro 2033, the colors conveyed a sense of decay and hopelessness which visually reinforced what was happening in terms of plot, and this makes me wonder if the new Bioshock may be going in a different direction thematically. However, the Colombia propaganda and bleak finish to the trailer make me think otherwise.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    This reminds me of Amerika. Also, I hope mini turrets had been invented by then.

Bringer of Truth
    Wow, this looks awesome.

Seems to have a little bit more humor in it than the previous two (the girls face when she gets grabbed for instance)

The RISE of Rapture, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    For real. What you on about OP?
    Haha...true, I was just thinking of differences between the 50's and 10's and not much else.

The trailer was very interesting, I'm really looking forward to this. I'm also very interested on how this game will play out story wise, I went to the website mentioned at the end of the trailer and found this, not sure if it was already mentioned in the front page:

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.
    So it sounds like you already have abilities and not sure if Plasmids will make an appearance on this but either way I'm pretty hyped for it.

Trailer looks great. Airships? Yes please.

Bringer of Truth
    Sounds really fucking interesting.

It kind of sounds like your powers might be stronger when you're near her, which would be cool.

So has any mention been made of this connection to the other two Bioshock games and Rapture?

I expect it may be a prequel. It's set earlier that Rapture's founding (iirc) and the wee water-globe of Rapture hints towards it as an idea or aspiration for one of the characters.

Like Bioshock: Snake Eater.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    Personally, I'd rather them stray from making connections. Kind of like, it's a prequel, it happens in the same universe as the one where Rapture will be created, one where plasmids exists and what not, but that's it. New story, new characters.
    Apparently, they're treating it as a brand new IP, so that pretty much seems like it will be the case.

http://www.destructoid.com/irrationa...--181269.phtml

Also, I think the Colombia poster/billboard may give some clues about the general themes. It seems to connote late 19th century social Darwinism/imperialist ideals to me. Seems like a socially relevant topic to tackle.

It also seems like that thing that attacks you could be a predecessor to the Big Daddy, that trailer shows some things that I found interesting, like the sign that says "Burden NOT Columbia with your Chaff!" and the guy on the balcony who may or may not have something to do with the story.

Bringer of Truth
    OK, just read the front page articles about it and yeah, it's not really connected to Rapture (which is fine by me)

Whether it's in the same universe or not is another question (I could see somebody finding out America made a floating utopia and saying "fuck that, I'm going underwater."), but unimportant.