Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Wolf Among Us

[Level 7: Sentinel]

The Wolf Among Us

Hey folks, I did a search but couldn't find anything for Telltale's next point and click adventure. My apologies if there is a thread already, the new Tapatalk is taking some getting used to and the search function has always been pants on it.

With it launching on October 11th, are there many folks planning to get the first episode straight away? After the success and general appreciation of The Walking Dead, would you be willing to get the season pass for all episodes or more likely to wait until it's all out in the wild and available as a complete set? Especially as TWD got discounted a few times during the last Steam sale.

I'll probably pick up the first tomorrow and decide on the pass after playing. Thoroughly enjoyed The Walking Dead and other adventure games they've done beforehand.

Fifth Dimensional Admin
    I'll probably get the season pass this Friday. Telltale is awesome and I'm happy to pay full price for this.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    I could've sworn we had a thread for this, but I think it's because we were talking about it in The Walking Dead Game thread. Anyway, I'm fairly cautious about this one and as someone who's read all the comics, including the spin-offs and crossovers, I just have no interest in a prequel. I'm probably going to wait and see how this one pans out, and I'll probably end up buying it more for the missus than for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mxy Yost View Post
    I'll probably get the season pass this Friday. Telltale is awesome and I'm happy to pay full price for this.
    They'd be more awesome if they made Sam & Max: Season 4 and...but it doesn't seem likely, these days. *sniff*

I'm going in blind, much like I did with The Walking Dead as I'd only seen the odd comic and never watched the show. It didn't hinder my enjoyment of TWD and that got me into discovering it's source material.

Sadly we may never see those beloved characters from LucasArts again with the Mouse in control.

Yeah, I get the feeling Wolf is aimed at a new audience. The hardcore fans will buy it, but I'm sure there's some kind of "enjoy the game, now buy all the trades" thing going on here. Not that I mind, of course. It's a great comic!

I'm 99% sure Steve Purcell owns the rights to Sam & Max, otherwise Telltale wouldn't be able to make the games and sell the animated series/books. Disney probably owns Hit the Road (it's never been in the Telltale shop), but that's about it. Not sure what the deal is with other games like Monkey Island, though.

Ah yeah, forgot it was Purcell who had the rights and couldn't remember if Telltale's games were alongside LucasArts or not. My mistake and thanks for the correction.

I doubt they would've been in Poker Night 2 if the mouse had control. As for other characters that were purely by LA, they might turn up in Infinity. Humph.

With your comment on Wolf and leading to the comic, my wallet just grew legs and ran away from me.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I keep sitting here thinking about the fact that I really need to get around to playing the Walking Dead, but not personally being a huge fan of point and click adventures (mostly because I tend to be utterly terrible at them sadly...). I'm sort of hoping this one will be a fun entry point for me. The comics were really fun to read and I managed to get into them when they first started printing, in fact they're the reason I started reading Vertigo's stuff which was a big change as I don't really like DC all that much. Actually, I have/had a free preview issue floating around somewhere.

The Walking Dead is basically a point and click adventure without any puzzles. It's a very casual game, with everything you need to progress in just one area, and the same goes for The Wolf Among Us.

I doubt we'll be seeing any head scratching puzzles from Telltale any time soon. They hit the motherload with TWD and I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    It really is the writing and storytelling that carry The Walking Dead though. Gameplay wise it is very simple, but I like having a game that is more narrative focused on occasion so I don't have to worry as much about what my hands are doing and just focus more on the story and characters without distraction.

I haven't read any of Fables, but my fiance loves them so I know I'll be watching a playthrough of this at the very least.

OOooh, so they're more like visual novels than puzzles?

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Point and click mixed with a visual novel is a good way to say it. There really isn't much "combine item A with item B and use on C" kind of stuff like a Sierra style point and click (there are a few instances, but nothing as complex as Monkey Island or Zork or anything like that). You have direct control over your charater when exploring areas and choosing what to interact with. Once you interact you get some dialogue, a choice or sometimes full scenes. Typically in these types of scenes you don't have too much direct control, but mainly make decisions at that point a la a visual novel.

At least, that's how it goes for TWD at least, but given it's success I can see The Wolf Among Us being in very much the same style.

They had a big display/demo at PAX. I didn't stand in line for it, but Jack did. Maybe she can provide some impressions. What I did see of it looked cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by CornflakeJustice View Post
    OOooh, so they're more like visual novels than puzzles?
    Yeah, but with the odd QTE thrown to get the tension going.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantHige View Post
    Point and click mixed with a visual novel is a good way to say it. There really isn't much "combine item A with item B and use on C" kind of stuff like a Sierra style point and click (there are a few instances, but nothing as complex as Monkey Island or Zork or anything like that). You have direct control over your charater when exploring areas and choosing what to interact with. Once you interact you get some dialogue, a choice or sometimes full scenes. Typically in these types of scenes you don't have too much direct control, but mainly make decisions at that point a la a visual novel.

At least, that's how it goes for TWD at least, but given it's success I can see The Wolf Among Us being in very much the same style.
    Much better way of describing the gameplay than what I said.

You could say it's an evolution of the point and click.

Neat. Well I'm getting a Vita here shortly and I think i have TWD for that from a PS+ promotion or something. At the very least I got it on Steam from a Humble Bundle at some point so hoorah, Adventure games I can actually complete!

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I have TWD full with 400 days if someone wants to trade for the first ep. of this.

I just the other day learned about the Fable Comic book. I love the premise of it, seeing these characters in a different light than I did when I was kid makes it that much more interesting. I trust this to be at least on the same level as The Walking Dead, so I'll be picking it up. Not right away though, gonna wait a bit, to busy with other games.

Fifth Dimensional Admin
    The comic is excellent. Need to catch up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilKenSebben View Post
    I have TWD full with 400 days if someone wants to trade for the first ep. of this.
    What do you have it for?

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantHige View Post
    It really is the writing and storytelling that carry The Walking Dead though. Gameplay wise it is very simple, but I like having a game that is more narrative focused on occasion so I don't have to worry as much about what my hands are doing and just focus more on the story and characters without distraction.

I haven't read any of Fables, but my fiance loves them so I know I'll be watching a playthrough of this at the very least.
    I like the choice aspect aswell, it's not a huge thing because events pretty much end with the same end goal whatever you choose but it is nice that things seem atleast a little shaped by your decisions.

As for The Wolf Among us, I'm interested, not really sure what to expect, I know little to nothing about the comics, but I'd be interested in anything like The Walking Dead. I won't be buying it straight away though.