Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Games, Man. Star Wars Games.

[Level 6: Robot]

Star Wars Games, Man. Star Wars Games.

(This was brought up at D&D tonight (Don't ask why), and easily distracted us for a good hour before we got back on task.)
    So the question is simple, what is your favourite Star Wars game, and why?

There's a lot of great Star Wars games out there. Episode 1 Racer, Battlefront, The Force Unleashed, Knights of the Old Republic, and Super Star Wars. Even some lesser appreciated ones like Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron and Dark Forces. Everyone has one of those games (or others!) that captivated them more than the others, and maybe even holds a place in their heart, so do tell!

Personally, even though Battlefront II and Knights of the Old Republic are what I've sunk most of my time into, the Star Wars game I keep going back to every month or so at least is Episode 1 Racer on the Nintendo 64 and Sega Dreamcast.

It's simply the sense of speed, blazing through corners at 700+ kpm, twisting and turning your pod racer around the tight turns with the excellent controls, listening to the amazing soundtrack, it's just a damn good time. I vastly prefer this game to other fast racers such as F-Zero or Wipeout. I find it's the perfect balance of sense of speed, and responsive controls.

I can always go back to this game no matter what mood I'm in, no matter what kind of company I have with me for multiplayer (competitive, veteran, casual, girlfriend, etc.), once I pop this guy in and the controllers are handed out, maximum funtime is achieved.

So, what say you?

Pwnd
    Jedi Academy. You can make your own Jedi instead of having to play as Kyle Katarn, plus it's neat to have force powers from the beginning as opposed to going without them for a long stretch of the game. Also liked the controls. The multiplayer is amazing too, even with bots.
    Last edited by Sir Legendhead; 01-17-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added mp comment

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Rouge Squadron, Dark Forces, and Shadows of the Empire are my personal favorites.

Forces was the first Star Wars game I had ever played and I had just discovered the films about a year prior to playing it. I loved that it was like a slower paced Doom, but with a great deal of puzzles and exploration. Also, for an early FPS, it was loaded with atmosphere.

Shadows was next. I remember having to have my brother hold some of the buttons on the controller while I did the analog stick part of the Wampa_Stompa cheats. I would love a remake with updated controls or even just an uprezzed port for psn/xbla.

And then there was Rouge Squadron. Probably the hardest game I ever got 100% completion on. I had never beat the volcano stage when I lent a "friend" my copy of OoT. He moved at the end of the school year and I had to go all summer without my go-to game. I decided to erase all of the files to get rid of my cheats and plow through and get all of the gold medals. Almost took me all summer, but I did it.

On a tangent, and speaking of 100% completion; when I lent out that copy of Ocarina, my file had everything collected except for one, final skulltula token. It turns out that the "friend" only moved one neighborhood away. I ended up getting my game back, but my file was gone. What a cunt. I have gained all skultulas since, but I technically have never 100%'ed the game because no single file had everything.
    Last edited by King Süshi; 01-17-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: ps3 screwed up post

There were so many good Star Wars games growing up, but I think Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight probably stands out the most for me. I loved the first one, like Sushi said it was a little like Doom, but with a really interesting Star Wars plot, but it was still a shooter. Jedi Knight on the other hand totally just blew me away, because not only was it a shooter but you got to be a jedi aswell, which was just awesome. I think the live action cutscenes helped aswell, made it feel sort of like (partly) a continuation of the films.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    Battlefront II. The best fun was had on splitscreen every day after school.

THE MR.E BIRD
    When I first got into gaming I was a little Star Wars freak, I still can be even now, but I used to get a lot of shitty Star Wars games. Them being Star Wars Demolition, Star Wars Jedi Power Battles, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, Star Wars Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter. I was a terrible unskilled child back then without anything better to do poured way too many hours and cheat codes into them, especially Demolition. Battlefront came out though, and that was great. I think my PS2 broke not long after and then I got an Xbox and eventually borrowed KOTOR. Battlefront II and KOTOR II will have been played later on, but KOTOR would have to be my favourite. It was the first RPG I ever played through and it blew my mind with how good something set in the Star Wars Universe can be.

I do love the Battlefronts too though, and I am still sad that the third never got released because the leaked footage was amazing. I think I can still remember the invincibility cheat.

My experience with Star Wars games is actually pretty limited. The Super Star Wars games on SNES (mainly A New Hope), the two Kotor games, five minutes with Star Wars: Demolition, then Soulcalibur 4 I guess.

The first Kotor is easily my favorite, though when I went back to replay it last year I just couldn't finish it for a variety of reasons, most of them not the game's fault.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus View Post
    The first Kotor is easily my favorite, though when I went back to replay it last year I just couldn't finish it for a variety of reasons, most of them not the game's fault.
    Not trolling but was it the Sith Academy? I thought that was kind of neat. It finally gave me a chance to see what those guys were really about. They're not represented very well in the actual films, as far as explaining why they do what they do.

I still have a copy of Tie Fighter, but I never really got into it. I played a bit of the Supers, but it was Dark Forces that I loved. I think it was that I was playing as a non-canon(as far as i knew) character and shooting the fuck out of Storm Troopers. Also the Dark Troopers scared the dogshit out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Not trolling but was it the Sith Academy? I thought that was kind of neat. It finally gave me a chance to see what those guys were really about. They're not represented very well in the actual films, as far as explaining why they do what they do.
    Nope. For the most part I just got bored and had other, newer games to play. I beat the game years ago when it was new but I honestly can't recall specifics of the Sith Academy. I was an evil prick in Kotor so I'm sure it was right up my character's alley.

Quote Originally Posted by digtastik View Post
    I still have a copy of Tie Fighter, but I never really got into it. I played a bit of the Supers, but it was Dark Forces that I loved. I think it was that I was playing as a non-canon(as far as i knew) character and shooting the fuck out of Storm Troopers. Also the Dark Troopers scared the dogshit out of me.
    Ooh, I forgot about Rogue Squadron for GCN. That was fun too.

And the old arcade tie fighter game.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus View Post
    Nope. For the most part I just got bored and had other, newer games to play. I beat the game years ago when it was new but I honestly can't recall specifics of the Sith Academy. I was an evil prick in Kotor so I'm sure it was right up my character's alley.
    Kotor was written towards the Dark Side imo. Which is kind of good and kind of bad. The option is fleshed out better than it is in any other game, but they did it so well that it takes away from its alternative. I seriously don't think anyone played it as a "good guy".

THE MR.E BIRD
    I did first time. Never again.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I really haven't played very many Star Wars games, but I did enjoy Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter on the PS2. Those were the flight sim games.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Starfighter is on Steam for peanuts.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Quote Originally Posted by digtastik View Post
    I still have a copy of Tie Fighter
    THIS!

Also, my personal favorite is The Old Republic. I hate MMOs, but I fucking love this game.

And before anybody starts jabbering on about how MMOs don't count, go play through the game as an Imperial Agent. Probably the best storyline in a Star Wars game ever.

Espionage to the MAX.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Jeez way to be the first to lower the tone.

But seriously if I ever get bored enough to kill myself I might play some of that game while waiting for the sleep to come.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    Jeez way to be the first to lower the tone.
    That's what I'm here for!

Also, don't ever joke about killing yourself. I killed myself once, and it brings back horrible memories.

[Level 12: CHET]
    Knights of the Old Republic I and II. I love these games both equally for what they are themselves more than I do because they're Star Wars. The stories, the characters, the locations and the interactions are just stellar. I have had some of my happiness gaming moments, in my room (with a jar of chocolate spread) playing these games for hours on end, letting myself get lost in the world and replaying it over and over, always finding something small I might have missed before. The voice-acting is also just wonderful.

Ack I can literally turn this into a dissertation of love if I don't control myself!

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Oh, easy.

Jedi Knight 1&2.

You had a great protagonist with Kyle Katarn. This guy who's a bit of a rogue, and doesn't really like the idea of being a Jedi, but ultimately decides for the greater good and for the love of his father to uphold its values. And this is a guy who slips up a lot on his path in becoming a Jedi Master - dude turns to the Dark Side in Mysteries of the Sith and ends up losing a student to evil in Jedi Academy. It wasn't all goody toe shoes nonsense.

Anyway, the games were near flawless and I like how you gradually swapped guns for Force Powers and Lightsabers. I loved the map designs in Jedi Knight, too. Very much the 90's ideal of routes turning in on themselves, secret paths and epic scope - like the saber dual over a cavern walkway.

Jedi Knight 2 was just phenomenal, even if the bad guy was a purple lizard dinosaur guy or something. It had a horrible stealth section which you had to cheat your way through (ugh), but everything else was superb. I loved the mini-boss fighs with the apprentices and the way it all slowed down when you gave someone the final swipe.

I like Dark Forces and Jedi Academy, but I didn't get attached to them like I did with the Jedi Knight installments.