Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT Issues and Vidja Games

Quote Originally Posted by Analoge View Post
    Because they are women? It's a common misconception that if someone says something like, "I don't see race" or "I don't see gender" that it makes them an enlightened, accepting person. The fact is that when you do that you erase part of those people's identities. To use your metaphor, the thoughts they have are directly tied to the color of their underwear and their life experience as a wearer of that color underwear.
    First of all, you clearly don't know me: I am not an enlightened or accepting person, nor do I care to be one. In fact, I despise most human beings.

Secondly, the character of a person is determined by the experiences that they go through, and those experiences are not universally tied to a particular genetic makeup. Some experiences may be more likely for women, but they are not inherently universal to all women -- this goes for both genders of every color and class. In addition, parental upbringing, the instilling of morals and values which are not bound by gender--empathy, charity, responsibility, justice--shapes a person more than their underwear.

This is why some women are worth praise, and most women are beyond contempt -- just like some men are worth praise, and most men are beyond contempt.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by Analoge View Post
    Because they are women? It's a common misconception that if someone says something like, "I don't see race" or "I don't see gender" that it makes them an enlightened, accepting person. The fact is that when you do that you erase part of those people's identities. To use your metaphor, the thoughts they have are directly tied to the color of their underwear and their life experience as a wearer of that color underwear.
    Their personal experiences may be the result of their pants, but it's the experiences and not the pants that are important. When someone tries not to see race or gender, it isn't an attempt to remove part of someone's identity, but to look past something general to more personal and unique things. It's just so tumblresque and narcissistic to identify as X and then pretend that makes a person interesting or special. There's a tangent waiting to happen about how this hinders acceptance, but I'm trying to avoid it.

To make a personal example of it, I'm much more interested in talking to you about what random act of kindness you did, what you did at PAX, or any of those podcast badges than the symbol tacked to the bottom of your avatar. I don't care about what you are, but I don't mind learning who you are.

edit: Haha, Rev. Same respondan, similar ideasan.

Quote Originally Posted by DpadJoe View Post
    The plot has nothing to do with it, if everything you played had no representation of something that is a large part of what makes you-you then it would feel extremely alienated.
    The plot has nothing to do with a story? Maybe if you're too busy trying to push and preach a political agenda.

You're talking to someone who watched nearly all of Sex and the City when it first aired. I don't need "a representation of something that is a large part of me" to appreciate a story. If a story is shit, then it's shit, and having it filled with people like me will not save it. The same goes for The Wire, another show filled with people nothing like me. The writing is what is important. You will never find a better written show than The Wire, which is why it receives critical acclaim from people of all walks of life despite its cast being overwhelmingly black and the show focusing on inner-city drug violence.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    The plot has nothing to do with a story? Maybe if you're too busy trying to push and preach a political agenda.
    Yeah that's totally it my original point in this was that LGBT people are under represented in video games which is a pretty obvious thing, the rest of the talk has got off topic but to take one of my points and argue "political agenda" just makes it look like your getting agitated rather than having a civil debate and seems to me very petty.

You're talking to someone who watched nearly all of Sex and the City when it first aired. I don't need "a representation of something that is a large part of me" to appreciate a story. If a story is shit, then it's shit, and having it filled with people like me will not save it. The same goes for The Wire, a show filled with people nothing like me. The writing is what is important. You will never find a better written show than The Wire, which is why it receives critical acclaim from people of all walks of life despite its cast being overwhelmingly black.
    See movies is a good example where it is starting to get better, I am not arguing that every movie should include every race, gender and sexuality in fact I think movies are getting better then they used to be about it. My argument is in video games LGBT people are being alienated by being under represented, most games ignore gay relationships and trans people completely that is why so many LGBT people get annoyed.
    Last edited by DpadJoe; 01-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Pwnd
    OMG Gatsby hacked Rev's account

(not quoting because it would be redundant, and I'm referring to this entire page)

See movies is a good example where it is starting to get better, I am not arguing that every movie should include every race, gender and sexuality in fact I think movies are getting better then they used to be about it. My argument is in video games LGBT people are being alienated by being under represented, most games ignore gay relationships and trans people completely that is why so many LGBT people get annoyed.
    But I did not need a representation of me to enjoy either of those examples. You glossed over that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead
    OMG Gatsby hacked Rev's account
    I thought we were friends.

Pwnd
    I thought we were friends.
    We are friends, Gats. I just posted a comment on your status update lol

Jeeze, am I really getting that autistic right now?

Pwnd
    It wasn't the autism so much as the open hatred of all most of humanity.

"Hate" is such a weak word.

But I did not need a representation of me to enjoy either of those examples. You glossed over that point.
    I enjoy games, I absolutely adored the walking dead and MGS, but it is because I love the medium, that I am agitated by how it ignores a whole section of people.

Pwnd
    "Hate" is such a weak word.
    I don't hate humans at all. They make great pets. Just gonna leave it at that so as not to interrupt your mating rituals, or whatever it is that y'all are doing here. I claim exemption from all of this because I am from the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    I claim exemption from all of this because I am from the moon.
    is it true that it's made out of cheese?

Pwnd
    is it true that it's made out of cheese?
    Pretty much, yeah. You did get the link in the quote right? Perry Farrell adds so much to this discussion.

Come to think of it I'd like to see Bioware interpret the song literally, and make a planet where humans are kept as pets. It's a much better idea than the one they chose to roll with.

Pretty much, yeah. You did get the link in the quote right? Perry Farrell adds so much to this discussion.
    Yeah the make great pets song lol, never heard it before but all it made me think of was pulp fiction and the gimp. Really random.

Pwnd
    Yeah the make great pets song lol, never heard it before but all it made me think of was pulp fiction and the gimp. Really random.
    Oh well darn. I guess I should write a blog proving its relevance then. Will get right on that.

Oh well darn. I guess I should write a blog proving its relevance then. Will get right on that.
    Make that top priority I have to get the story for this.

Pwnd
    Make that top priority I have to get the story for this.
    Well y'know it's not really a priority for me though. Not as far as time anyway. I'd rather see it become a novel or short story than a blog because let's face it, no one ever really reads blogs anyway. They just kind of pick and choose whichever parts suit their own agendas. So yeah, this could take a while. You could try listening to the words in the meantime if you want.

Well y'know it's not really a priority for me though. Not as far as time anyway. I'd rather see it become a novel or short story than a blog because let's face it, no one ever really reads blogs anyway. They just kind of pick and choose whichever parts suit their own agendas. So yeah, this could take a while. You could try listening to the words in the meantime if you want.
    In the meantime I will imagine the weirdest craziest version of events possible in preparation lol

Pwnd
    In the meantime I will imagine the weirdest craziest version of events possible in preparation lol
    Iknorite? Actually I'm pretty sure Roddenberry already did it on Star Trek. If I remember correctly it was one of the earliest episodes, called "The Menagerie". So yeah, I got nothing lol