Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: LGBT Issues and Vidja Games

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by DpadJoe View Post
    To me it doesn't look like that's the angle to this conversation, I got the impression that it was around violence towards Transwomen being more accepted in todays culture, with a side assessment that physical dominance over someone else is unfortunately currently being shown as a positive masculine trait. This conversation appears now to be in a nice civil state and your post has an antagonistic tone to it, let's please keep this thread from going down that route again.
    Whose culture is accepting of violence against transgender people? Not here. You may find some people in the culture who think that's okay, but the last time I checked, we had a court system that executed people for that shit.

We are again generalizing here, which is the source of any antagonism. "A handful of people killed some transgender people? That must be a cultural thing"; "Oh, some men killed some transgender people? That must be some kind of man thing." Why isn't it ever some kind of psychopath thing? Why can't we work together instead of looking for some group to blame?

Judge us as individuals, not as a group. That's all that I'm asking for. Isn't that what everyone wants?

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    Why isn't it ever some kind of psychopath thing? Why can't we work together instead of looking for some group to blame?
    Wait, so you're blaming all psychopaths...?

Pwnd
    Only if they kill people. I quite like the harmless ones.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Whose culture is accepting of violence against transgender people? Not here. You may find some people in the culture who think that's okay, but the last time I checked, we had a court system that executed people for that shit.
    I didn't say accepted I said more accepted and from my purely anecdotal evidence I have found it is, now the court system does punish people for committing actual crimes but I still hear lots of people who are accepting of violence to Trans people, which I always pick them up on.

We are again generalizing here, which is the source of any antagonism. "A handful of people killed some transgender people? That must be a cultural thing."

Judge us as individuals, not as a group. That's all I'm asking for.
    All I am saying is you seem to be looking to annoy people, please see below:

http://whycantibehim.tumblr.com/post/536267618
    But please, enlighten me more with your definitive statements and bigoted generalizations.
    (as it is seems to be implied here, with the "men are taught to be violent, that's how they reinforce their masculinity" crap).

Pwnd
    I didn't say accepted I said more accepted and from my purely anecdotal evidence I have found it is, now the court system does punish people for committing actual crimes but I still hear lots of people who are accepting of violence to Trans people, which I always pick them up on.
    And I'm saying that that's not the case, especially when looking at opinion polls and violent crime trends. Our culture does not accept that, nor has it become more accepting of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DpadJoe
    All I am saying is you seem to be looking to annoy people
    I could say the very same for you and others who put forward sweeping, bigoted generalizations in order to make your points and to guilt others into sympathy. Any antagonism on my part is a response to your antagonism. If we put away the generalizations, then we'll be as cool as cucumbers, I promise.

And I'm saying that that's not the case, especially when looking at opinion polls and violent crime trends.
    I said it was anecdotal evidence, I was not claiming that it is the undisputed truth but what I believe to be the truth from my personal experiences. You have not shown me anything that makes me question this.

I could say the very same for you and others who put forward sweeping, bigoted generalizations in order to make your points and to guilt others into sympathy.
    Even when I am being as polite as possible and trying to keep this thread as a nice friendly debate all you seem to want to do is fight and argue and I'm done with it. However I still find this an interesting topic so from now on I shall just be ignoring your posts in this thread.

Pwnd
    I said it was anecdotal evidence, I was not claiming that it is the undisputed truth but what I believe to be the truth from my personal experiences. You have not shown me anything that makes me question this.
    You've never shown anything to prove your original point either. You made the claim, not me. You can easily prove me wrong by backing up what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by DpadJoe
    Even when I am being as polite as possible and trying to keep this thread as a nice friendly debate all you seem to want to do is fight and argue, I'm done with it from now on I shall just be ignoring your posts in this thread.
    I'm sorry that you feel that way, but indicting an entire group of people, or an entire culture, for the actions of a few isn't something that I'm cool with. Only Sith Lords deal in absolutes. We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Still responds to BLOO
    Dude stole my line that I stole from Obi-wan

Pwnd
    Brown people watch Star Wars? When did this happen? Damn Bloo, you break all kinds of racial barriers.

EDIT: Nvm, I remember it now. Your royalty check is in the mail.

Still responds to BLOO
    Incidentally I used that line on a white supremacist, ZP.

Honkey Kong
    *Jewish supremacist

Pwnd
    I thought Levi was a Hispanic name?

Honkey Kong
    He's just parasiting his way into someone else's cause to reap the rewards. Watch out around that ZP.

14. 01-17-2013, 11:32 PM
    Reason
    I'm way too tired to intelligently respond. See you tomorrow.

Pwnd
    Fair enough. The way that I view it is that there are still some commonly-held attitudes which need to be challenged and done away with, and that those in the culture should help to address them. The brazen murder of anyone is a tragic and appalling event, and such an act should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in order to make an example out of the perpetrator. Those of us inside the culture have a responsibility to address those in it who think that shit is okay and to set them straight--it is an issue that deserves more attention than it gets, and it is one that we can do a better job of addressing. It's not enough to know in our hearts that it is wrong when we can help to challenge these attitudes when they rear their ugly heads.

We all have a responsibility to stand up for the safety and well-being of one another, and it must be carried out without any exceptions.

Pwnd

I hate to be the one to start this thread's inevitable downward spiral into the depths of meme hell, but then again it is almost 4 am. And it's a cool pic, especially the retro trollface.

That was is my favourite post of the thread, forum so far and best one I can actually remember, honestly fantastic. I'd love to see an extended blog version.
    I might go back to a blog for that and flesh it out, but if I do anything else this week, I'm just gonna talk about games. Even f do talk about it, as you can tell, I like to push stuff through the lens of gaming or gaming-related issues to an extent.

Thanks for enduring the length of that post, though

Beast Master
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    He's just parasiting his way into someone else's cause to reap the rewards. Watch out around that ZP.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Just stay out of mi barrio.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    Barbara was the name of the transgender character in The League of Gentlemen.

I know this post was a while back, but I just saw it and, wow. This is incredibly transphobic; a perfect example of the typical trans* representation in the media. And it isn't even funny. There literally is no joke other than the fact that this person is unwomanly. I think I'm going to take a break from this thread for a while. I'm getting depressed.

^ Agreed, although league of gentlemen can be clever and humorous I think it just got the above very wrong.

I thought I would post the below videos as they represent how I feel on the subject and make my points in a very clear concise way, please if you check out any videos or content on the subject in this thread give these a watch as they deal with the subjects in a very smart way:

Diversity in games and why it's important, essentially what the whole issue is about:

Sexual Diversity in games (also touches on Transgender topic):

Sex in Games:

[Level 6: Robot]
    I lied. I'm back. Found this and had to link it here. Now We Have Voices by Anna Anthropy