Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: DmC: Devil May Cry

Admin / Midget King
    Let me clarify: EVERYONE needs to drop it. It's dumb. Please stop.

Still responds to BLOO
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothX View Post
    I actually watched a bit of that now. I still don't have much of an issue with the copy/pasting of code, but not updating your comments or removing old unused code is pretty lazy.

Yeah that's what I was trying to get at. Of course devs are going to use something that is proven to work, just the way they never bothere to at least spruce it up is kinda annoying.

But I'm pretty sure there'sa number of games I enjoy that do the same thing.

On topic, I bought the DMC collection when it came out, I need to track a copy of 4 down, then later done the line try this one out.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector Garfria View Post
    Yeah that's what I was trying to get at. Of course devs are going to use something that is proven to work, just the way they never bothere to at least spruce it up is kinda annoying.

But I'm pretty sure there'sa number of games I enjoy that do the same thing.

On topic, I bought the DMC collection when it came out, I need to track a copy of 4 down, then later done the line try this one out.
    Yeah those lazy coding things make the programmer in me hurt. I'd never be allowed to get away with old comments like that.

4's pretty cheap now. I'd recommend the PC version if you can, but at 20 bucks thats a bit pricey. DmC is a good/solid 15 dollar purchase.
    Last edited by Sephzilla; 01-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    waiting on a steam sale for this.

Bloo why u no PC gamerz?

Still responds to BLOO
    My laptop can barely run tf2

I guess I'll post these here since its relevant. DmC's week 3 UK numbers are in, and it's out of the top 10 all together now.

http://ukie.info/content/ukie-week-0...o-games-charts

And (as you can see by the Dtoid article about RE6 being a failure), Capcom updated their expectations for DmC again by now lowering it down to 1.2 million units (this is the third time they've revised & lowered expectations).

I'm fully aware I've been harder on this game than a lot of other people have, but even I'm really stunned how poorly the game is selling.

I've got to be honest, I hated the style Ninja Theory decided to use for this game from the very first time I watched the trailer.

Here's the thing: part of what I loved about the earlier DMC games was how they managed to combine action movie aesthetics with a... I guess you'd call it Hammer Horror style of art direction. It's the combination of total campiness with that Gothic sensibility. You've got latin choirs and organs wailing in the background, levels full of Gothic castles, towers and other architecture, demons based on this weird mix of Renaissance, Gothic and Victorian imagery, and characters completely hamming it up as much as they can. The early DMC games were what you got when you mixed The Satanic Rites Of Dracula with Die Hard. Overblown action goodness, with campy horror goofiness.

This new DmC... it feels much more like an exploitation flick. There's none of the essentially good-natured, Hammer-esque sensibility. Instead, it feels more like I Spit On Your Grave, or Grindhouse. The aesthetic is essentially trashy, dirty, grungey, with none of the sense of style that epitomised the earlier games, and from what I've seen, an emphasis more on gorn and schlock horror to try and generate controversy. I'm not saying there's not a place for knowingly trashy material in games. The Kane And Lynch games tried to carry off an intentionally trashy exploitation vibe, as did Wet, and both were at least interesting as such, even if they were rather underwhelming as games.

But I simply don't think the Exploitation Cinema aesthetic works in a Devil May Cry game, for the same reason it wouldn't work in a Dracula film, or a Frankenstein film, or an adaption of The Monk. I know it sounds small minded, but I don't want to hear squirrel-semen jokes and endless rounds of FUCK YOU! in Devil May Cry. It just doesn't fit the Gothic aesthetic which defines the series.

Someone forwarded me this article because apparently its been a popular thing floating around the 'net today.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capco...ations/0110372

Part of me agrees with the article in the sense that yeah, fans are the reason this game has tanked so far. But at the same time I'm not exactly fond of someone trying to demonize gamers for not buying a game they didn't want. (He also used the hair color argument too, which probably shows he researched the whole ''controversy'' for about 30 seconds).

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Ugh, what an asshat. No one has to buy any game that comes out. Their job is to create something that makes people want to buy it. DMC4 had its flaws, but that's more so because they focused over half the game on a new-comer with no alternate weapons/styles, gave us Dante (with awesome on-the-fly style swapping, but) only three sets of weapons and limited style functionality compared to DMC3, and focused on a tangential plot that (while well executed,) seemed so irrelevant after the extremely personal affair of preceding prequel.

I'll buy any true sequel, but I'm completely turned off by Ninja Theory's style of combat. It's not my fault Capcom made that kind of game.

I think it's more simplistic than that. When someone doesn't like something people always respond with "well then dont buy it, nobody is forcing you to buy it". What happens when a lot of people do that? They get blamed for not buying it.

[Level 2: Human] Deserticedragon's Avatar
    Im not going to lie i think its an amazing game, it looks unbelievably beautiful which is to be expected from Ninja theory, the combat is smoother than butter and you can transition between different fighting styles so easily that its almost a joke to get SSS rank (the highest score of combo fighting), and this installment of DMC surprised me for its actual depth in story instead of it just being a hack-n-slash game that DMC was sort of numbed down to. Devl May Cry 4 had really good depth but was over looked by the fact that a new character all but took over the game.

Although i have given it high praise dont get me wrong DMC is not an amazingly flawless game. I think that personally i could have written a better script than what pile of a crap was presented. If you have an instance where the character is saying the same thing like three times in a row and then his next conversation was suprisingly deep, its just a horrible transition of depth and shallowness.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserticedragon View Post
    Im not going to lie i think its an amazing game, it looks unbelievably beautiful which is to be expected from Ninja theory, the combat is smoother than butter and you can transition between different fighting styles so easily that its almost a joke to get SSS rank (the highest score of combo fighting), and this installment of DMC surprised me for its actual depth in story instead of it just being a hack-n-slash game that DMC was sort of numbed down to. Devl May Cry 4 had really good depth but was over looked by the fact that a new character all but took over the game.

Although i have given it high praise dont get me wrong DMC is not an amazingly flawless game. I think that personally i could have written a better script than what pile of a crap was presented. If you have an instance where the character is saying the same thing like three times in a row and then his next conversation was suprisingly deep, its just a horrible transition of depth and shallowness.
    I'm pretty thumbs up with that review. I didn't enjoy the game as much but I'm glad you like it. I do agree with you on the script though, I kind of overall thought the story was pretty poorly put together. I'm curious what you thought about the voice acting in the game. I've seen other people praise it a lot, but I honestly thought it was horrible.

Unrelated, but somewhat relevant since that NPD article is on the frontpage of Dtoid right now. I didn't care for the game but even I'm legitimately stunned at how badly its selling.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothX View Post
    I'm pretty thumbs up with that review. I didn't enjoy the game as much but I'm glad you like it. I do agree with you on the script though, I kind of overall thought the story was pretty poorly put together. I'm curious what you thought about the voice acting in the game. I've seen other people praise it a lot, but I honestly thought it was horrible.

Unrelated, but somewhat relevant since that NPD article is on the frontpage of Dtoid right now. I didn't care for the game but even I'm legitimately stunned at how badly its selling.

Personally i thought that dante's voice actor needed to pick a specific tone in his voice and stick with it. There were times where he spoke with swagger or rather soft spoken. I was truly not sure how to take dante's over all attitude. All in all yeah the story of the game was meh. I truly think if it wasnt a new take on the Devil may cry franchise then it may have been an alright game, BUT because it carries the name of such a proclaimed title that it kind of had some preset standards that people feel werent met. I think that as far a quality, I'll admit it exists unlike devil may cry 2 but by far its not as good as devil may cry 1 or 3, Maybe on par with 4 though.

Yeah, it's by no means a "bad" game but its a game that I think could have been done a whole heck of a lot better. It's a game I could see myself buying for 15 bucks maybe (I rented the game originally). Truth be told I really do think being named "Devil May Cry" hurt this game a ton. If it would have been named "Roddy Pipers Anything With a Kilt" or something else, it would have probably* kept a ton of the positive review press this game had and wouldn't have had any of the negativity behind it for being a replacement to something else.

*I say probably, because I think part of the reason this game got stupidly high scores was because some reviewers were trying to make Ninja Theory the underdogs to fan smite

I must say, SephirothX, that I've been really impressed with how reasonable you've been about this game. I've found myself in a state of disbelief seeing someone on the internet who doesn't like the game, but can have many respectful and level headed discussions about it. Not even saying "let's agree to disagree", but actually engaging people to find out their opinion and discuss at at length. I've never seen anything like it.

But the topic of Ninja Theory is interesting. I think perhaps people did rate this game higher than they might otherwise have had if it had a different developer. I've not played Heavenly Sword myself, but I can say with certainty that Enslaved was overrated by critics. Despite the gorgeous visuals and amazingly slick and polished presentation, the game actually isn't very good. Even the story, which people often praise it most for, is actually kind of crap when you actually stop and think about it. I think perhaps people do look at the studio as the plucky underdog and the critical darling that deserves more success than it's had, but from my experience the trepidation as to whether they could actually pull of a DMC game was totally reasonable. You could argue that DmC actually shares some of the same strengths and weaknesses with Enslaved.

Thanks! I'll make no denials I'm a huge fan of the old games, but I try to be as reasonable as I can. Seeing some of the more extreme fans who take their hatred of DmC way too far bugs even me, because it makes the people who actually have good points look bad.

Regarding Ninja Theory, I still say their best game is Heavenly Sword. My experience with Enslaved is pretty limited but I wasn't impressed by what I saw, and as you know I think DmC is pretty overrated.

Yeah it's been especially surprising seeing someone able to talk like that about this particular game, since there's so much venom surrounding it.

The thing about Enslaved is that they had so much hype around the story and the writing, and people seemed to just eat it up. I even ate it up at first, but upon reflection it kind of fell short of its promises. There was a lot of talk about how they got some famous writer in to write it, how it was based on Journey to the West, the involvement of Andy Serkis, and all the mocap stuff, but narratively the game doesn't really go anywhere. People talked about how great the character relationships were and how they evolved over the story, but that didn't actually happen. Animation and voice acting was brilliant, but there was never really a connection between Trip and Monkey, and there are even some moments that make Trip at least look like a massive piece of shit, yet no one talks about that.

The depth of combat was only moderate, but that didn't bother me so much. It wasn't really in the same genre as Devil May Cry, it was more like Uncharted with melee combat. In that regard, depth was sufficient, and it did allow you to do some somewhat advanced stuff, but it was nothing to write home about. The biggest problem was with the response of controls. There seemed to be a sluggish half-second delay to everything. That's what made me worried if they could pull of DmC, but they fixed that thankfully.

Also the platforming in Enslaved was very rudimentary. Required zero skill and was incredibly linear. It was basically more about going where the game was directing you while looking cool than actually being a solid gameplay mechanic. Darksiders 2 even did that aspect of gameplay better. In fact, it did it way better.

But what's Heavenly Sword all about? I get the impression it's more in the genre of DMC, and I've heard that the character's hair is constantly having a violent seizure, but that's about it.

Heavenly Sword is more of a hack and slasher like Devil May Cry, but honestly it's more God of War. Politely, you could call Heavenly Sword "Baby's First God of War". It's somewhat short, but I think it has the best balance of gameplay and storytelling Ninja Theory has done so far. It misses a lot of the pitfalls that killed DmC's story in my opinion.

Unrelated but still on topic. I'm going to pimp my cBlog where I talk about DmC bombing with sales
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Sep...t-245123.phtml

I know what you mean. Lately ive been playing all the games i own that i havent beaten and the one that i oddly happen to work on is actually Enslave, the first Ninja theory game that i know of that they made. honestly same art style as DMC however the game play is far different. And knowing that Enslaved and DmC were made by the same people confuses the heck out of me because they are so different. You truly only know two characters in Enslaved and its so crazy because they have , get this, DEPTH and they actually are compelling and compelling. Which is one of the main things i feel DmC failed at among other things.

[Level 5: Mech]
    I always feel a little bad waiting for games to get cheaper, especially when they don't do well. I like when companies are successful with games I have an interest in but I guess it's somewhat on them for not making me want it more than X game i chose over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserticedragon View Post
    I know what you mean. Lately ive been playing all the games i own that i havent beaten and the one that i oddly happen to work on is actually Enslave, the first Ninja theory game that i know of that they made. honestly same art style as DMC however the game play is far different. And knowing that Enslaved and DmC were made by the same people confuses the heck out of me because they are so different. You truly only know two characters in Enslaved and its so crazy because they have , get this, DEPTH and they actually are compelling and compelling. Which is one of the main things i feel DmC failed at among other things.
    A lot of it may have to do with the fact that it's an established IP they are working with even though it's a reboot.