Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DmC: Devil May Cry

DmC: Devil May Cry

The game is set in a parallel universe in the Devil May Cry series. It starts with Dante recovering from a hangover when he is attacked by a Hunter demon. Dante learns he is in Limbo City, a dreary city that appears calm at first, but transforms into a twisted parody of itself with demons and other monstrosities who frequently attempt to kill him whenever he is seen by the demons. After confronting a demon, Dante meets a girl named Kat who sends him to meet the leader of "The Order", an organization labeled by the press as terrorist. The Order is fighting against Limbo's demons and its leader Vergil expects Dante to join them. While fighting enemies Dante learns he is Nephilim the offspring of a demon and an angel.During the game, Dante is frequently taunted and stalked by the demon, who seeks to have Dante killed.

-----

Anyone got their copy yet? What are your opinion on the fresh take on the franchise? It's gotten fairly good reviews thus far (http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...-devil-may-cry), and I don't mind the esthetic changes. What worries me are the boss battles and how challenging it is compared to the previous games.

I think I'll get my fix on the PC on the 25th, for the fps.

Pwnd
    I really like what I've read about the parts they seem to have lifted from They Live. Copied from Sterling's magnificient review:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Jim Sterling: Father. Lover. Dtoid Champion.
    Retelling the story of the Son of Sparda, DmC seems to take most of its narrative cues from the classic Roddy Piper movie, They Live. Humanity is being kept docile and unwittingly enslaved, Earth's "reality" little more than a mask for a Hellish alternative world full of subliminal messages and twitching abominations.

Dante is one of only a few capable of seeing the world as it really is and entering the twisted mirror world of Limbo, where messages like "OBEY" hide behind advertising posters, and consumer products are revealed for the monstrous intoxicants they really are.

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/review-dm...vPDH8X9sKK8.99
    This concept alone is enough to get me interested.
    Last edited by Sir Legendhead; 01-14-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: kept adding to jim's title :p

Myself have always loved the inspiration from Dante Alighieri's The Devine Comedy. Dante's Inferno is an example on how you're not suppose to do it. The DmC series have always been a little more vague, and I appreciate that

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]

Out of all the reviews I've seen for this game so far, it kind of troubles me that Sessler seems to be the only guy who's mentioning some of the games storyline and gameplay hiccups. It sounds like the story is basically They Live/The Matrix with a humorless Dante thrown in (basically if you were born in the 80s or before, the story will be nothing new). Heck, even Jim says in his review that if you're looking for a hardcore game like the last DMC games you're going to be disappointed.

Sorry, I'll save my 60 bucks and not waste it on a new IP masquerading as a franchise.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Those controls make me want to vomit.

You liked Lollipop Chainsaw.

Anyway, the locations alone should be worth the price of a rental so I think I'm going to go to the redbox for this. The lack of camera lock seems pretty troubling.

Lollipop Chainsaw didn't have a dual trigger system to access both attacks and locomotion and pushes and pulls. It was straight forward, like the last four DMCs, albeit far more simplistic. Also, I wouldn't praise the way LC's controls as great, but I wasn't looking for a technical action game from a renowned series...
    Last edited by Arttemis; 01-15-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Still responds to BLOO
    DMC 1-4 are technical as fuck and straight forward.

You can have both.

Yeah, we can have all types simultaneously. No need to cross pollinate a technical series with the weeds, though. Those can have their own series, too.

I'm going to try and find a copy to rent and try out the game myself (because that's how people should judge a game ultimately, if you ask me) but if Sessler's review is accurate, then it pretty much means that DmC (the game that was supposed to reinvent the series) didn't reinvent shit. It sounds like DmC has all of the same issues the previous games had, pretty uninteresting story, fights become more bullshit the further you go into the game, etc, etc. The only difference being there isn't much funny stuff to pad out the boring story and he game is easier.

To be honest, I'm a bit hesitant to believe a lot of the high scores that DmC is getting are overly legit. How many other games have we seen get near perfect scores only to find out they didn't live up to billing? (GTA4, Uncharted 3, ME3, Skyward Sword, etc) I'll find out for myself if its scores are accurate or not, but this gen has kind of jaded me when it comes to people dishing out high scores for everything.

You guys are making me hesitate now, haha! Anyone actually played it yet? I haven't really tried the demo, so if someone could explain the controll issue to me I would appreciate it. Can't you just choose your own button layout?

I haven't played DMC4, but I was a little let down by 2 and 3. The third instalment was without a doubt way better than the second game, but I think I grew tired of the look and feel of the games. Maybe that's why this game appeals more to me than it seems to do other people.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyCasanova View Post
    You guys are making me hesitate now, haha! Anyone actually played it yet? I haven't really tried the demo, so if someone could explain the controll issue to me I would appreciate it. Can't you just choose your own button layout?

I haven't played DMC4, but I was a little let down by 2 and 3. The third instalment was without a doubt way better than the second game, but I think I grew tired of the look and feel of the games. Maybe that's why this game appeals more to me than it seems to do other people.
    I havent played the full game yet so I'm just going off the demo. Personally I didn't like the new control layout that much. Back in DMC3/4 you'd just tap L2 to change your mee weapon or R2 to change your gun. Now it seems like to activate your Demon Weapons and Angel Weapons you have to old L2/R2 depending on which one you want to use, and further swapping is done with the d-pad. It works, but I think it's a little too much extra bumbling around with the controller for something that used to be pretty simple. Apparently the later you go into the full game they introduce more enemies that require specific weapons in order to attack them, so you end up jumping around from weapon to weapon and the controls supposedly start to get in your way.

In DMC4 the Nero character had a Devil Bringer ability that was a simple circle/B button press to execute and it would either yank enemies towards you or pull you towards enemies with one press (the yank/pull was context sensitive based on whatever enemy you were trying to do this to). DmC broke those two functions out into two separate button combinations for some reason (one for yanking enemies towards you, one for pulling you towards them) and each also tied to a specific type of weapon (demon or angelic). It just adds a whole bunch of unnecessary button pressing in my opinion, especially when its original version was a pretty quick and easy one button thing.

Idk, lots of other people claim the new controls are smooth as butter, but I don't see it yet. Maybe i just need to give it more time.

Unrelated, IGN did a list of the Top 10 Devil May Cry bosses ever. I question their taste in good bosses a little bit.

10 - Phantom
    9 - Savior
    8- Mundus (DMC1)
    7- Credo
    6- Agni & Rudra
    5- Bob Barbas (DmC)
    4- Nightmare
    3- Echidna
    2- Berial
    1- Vergil/Nelo Angelo

Still responds to BLOO
    DMC4 getting 40% is worrying

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    got this coming via rental, played the demo and was a bit worried but I will give this a fair try. I've heard it is easier so hopefully I can get into it, the combo difficulty was always the factor that made me turn these games off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Garfria View Post
    DMC4 getting 40% is worrying
    I'm cool with Credo, Echidna, and Berial being on that list (all three should be lower though), but Savior and Nightmare being included is stupid.

[Level 5: Mech]
    As much as I want this, it's gonna have to wait. Strapped fo cash and nothing I want to part with in a trade.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Step 1: Open the following Metacritic User Review page for DMC http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...y/user-reviews

Step 2: Thats it, that's all the steps, sit back and enjoy

Pwnd
    This is a bad game. The story is bad. The characters are unlikable. The protagonist shoots a pregnant woman in the stomach, then kills her, then later mocks the antagonist about it. A minor character makes magical portals with squirrel semen. The game rips off the Slurm Queen from Futurama, except does it entirely seriously. It thinks you are dumb, too.
    ahahahahahahaha

GOTY IMO

ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahaha