Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Victim of Stupid Spoilers

[Level 8: Skynet]

Stupid Victim of Stupid Spoilers

After playing the first episode of the Walking Dead I wanted to play the rest, but before doing so I had someone essentially describe the final episode's ending to me, thus destroying any urge I had to play the game.

It's occurred to me that I've had this happen before with games, where someone I know has told me about a main character dying in something, or maybe I've accidentally read someone online (recently a Top Ten list ruined Gears of War for me, I've only ever played the first one).

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm totally gutted about TWD being ruined for me!

I'm pretty sure I've returned the favour for others however, I guess it's just the universe's way of being a total douche.

Wolf Master
    I accidentally spoiled Final Fantasy VII for a friend many years ago. At the time, I didn't think there was any chance he'd play it.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I browse 4chan, so I get intentionally spoiled sometimes. I usually avoid the site if there's a game I care about coming up.

Honkey Kong
    "There is nothing new under the sun"

I find it easier to take in the journey of a story/game/movie than the outcome. Most plot "twists" or endings are so easily spotted and choreographed being surprised by them means you must have the media memory/recollection of a goldfish. Imo.

For example, with TWD, it is really super important that you know who dies instead of enjoying the relationship you build with all the characters along the way?

I also find that getting lost in the journey can sometimes counter the spoiler. As in, even though I knew a certain event was to unfold, my experience of the event in relation to how I got there was still new to me. And still enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    "There is nothing new under the sun"

I find it easier to take in the journey of a story/game/movie than the outcome. Most plot "twists" or endings are so easily spotted and choreographed being surprised by them means you must have the media memory/recollection of a goldfish. Imo.

For example, with TWD, it is really super important that you know who dies instead of enjoying the relationship you build with all the characters along the way?

I also find that getting lost in the journey can sometimes counter the spoiler. As in, even though I knew a certain event was to unfold, my experience of the event in relation to how I got there was still new to me. And still enjoyable.
    I see what you're getting at, the major downer was knowing what those split decision choices you make in the game ultimately amount to, it's made any future ones in episode 2 (which I have bought) seem completely watered down.

I'll give the second game a try though.

Honkey Kong
    If you read the TWD thread you'll see that the illusion of choice is just that. The game is going to go certain ways no matter what. As I found out when I asked what happened if you opted not to "save Duck" in EP1. Nothing, he still gets saved and the other dude still dies.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    If you read the TWD thread you'll see that the illusion of choice is just that. The game is going to go certain ways no matter what. As I found out when I asked what happened if you opted not to "save Duck" in EP1. Nothing, he still gets saved and the other dude still dies.
    Yeah I looked that up too, just to see whether they would actually kill off a child so early on.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Skyfall is the Sled made from people.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    I agree with Used. Even though the ending of TWD was NOT spoiled for me, I already knew exactly what was going to happen with that ending, and even though I did, it didn't make my sobbing, shock and dismay any less relevant.

Pwnd
    My initial reaction when booting up TWD for the first time: "Oh, a horror story about a black man? This will end well."

Like Used said, these things are just so telegraphed ahead of time that I have a hard time being truly surprised by any stunt a story pulls these days. I wouldn't fret over spoilers. If anything, they give you a different perspective of the events playing out.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    normally don't care about spoilers but walking dead episode 5 was different and that also now goes for Bioshock Infinite, I refuse to watch any recent gameplay videos as I want to be surprised by that game.

Spoilers won't ruin a story, but they can definitely diminish the impact of certain moments. For instance, I had THE videogame plot twist (the big one in KotOR, of course) spoiled for me (curse my inability to see spoiler tags without opening them ), and while I definitely enjoyed the story anyway, I lost out on the mindblowing awesomeness of the twist.

Relatedly: did anybody else notice that Assassin's Creed 3 spoils itself? It has a Mass Effect-style codec with information on both real history and fictional history, and one of the entries (the one on Connor's mom, specifically) spoils a neat twist fairly early on before the player has gotten to it. The twist was rather predictable, since it required the characters to dance around actually saying something without the player noticing which is fairly impossible to do believably and without the player noticing, but I was still quite annoyed. I guess that was just a mistake that went unnoticed.

Pwnd
    If it's the one I thinking of, the spoiler came the minute Haytham showed up. As soon as I saw him I was like "that guy's here for a reason. I bet he...yeah ok so that's where this is going".

Yeah, I predicted it from how everybody talked about it so vaguely. It was a neat idea, but would have taken a genius writer to pull off. I just thought it was funny how the codec accidentally spoiled it.

Wolf Master
    I think spoilers can have a big effect on how people play games. If it's the journey that matters, then that can easily be affected. If you go into, say, Final Fantasy VII knowing that:
    Spoiler!

Then you may:
    Spoiler!

Or whatever.

It's easy to see coming right around the time that it happens, but it's not something that's immediately obvious during the outset of the game.

Is it still enjoyable to play, having that knowledge beforehand? Sure. Is your experience altered from what it could have been without that knowledge? I'd say it absolutely could be.

(Pardon the use of spoiler tags on a 15+ year old game. Better safe than sorry, I figure.)

What's a final fantasy VII?

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Never been a victim of spoilers myself but I remember my mate being incredibly pissed off when a chap at school told him about Cait Sith's death in the Ancient temple.

I don't try to avoid anything as I'm not fussed being told elements of a story, it's not usually something that can ruin the entire experience of a game.

Spoiler!

Beast Master
    When I was in
    Spoiler!
    the
    Spoiler!
    ruined
    Spoiler!
    for everybody by telling us that
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!