Thread: Hey! I (we) made a game at MIT. Would love for you guys to play it!

[Level 4: Cyborg]

dtoiddisco Hey! I (we) made a game at MIT. Would love for you guys to play it!

Check it out here! :http://gambit.mit.edu/loadgame/thelastsymphony.php

Its called The Last Symphony. I was part of a 10 person team of students, half from Singapore and half from the United states. None of us had worked together or made a game before. It was a program within MIT called Gambit. We had two months to build a game that accomplished our research goal which was to make a Hidden object game that doesn't suck (which is incredibly hard, because they are almost universally awful) and uses the objects you find to tell a narrative.

I was one of four artists working on the game. I designed about half of the environments, but putting it that way is weird because by the end of development we all touched everything at least a little bit. I was also one of a number of people who contributed to the design of the game.

Just FYI, the game has 4 possible endings, The objects you need to find are all randomly chosen, so it is possible to have multiple playthoughs without repeating objects. This is a game about Narrative and music, so it is very important to read and listen. Paying attention to the music and the writing is very important. I think most people find that it is worth playing multiple times though, and was designed with that in mind, (its not very long) anyway, that's all!

I would love to hear what you guys think! Thanks!

That's not a knife...
    Why have I heard of this game before? I'll give this a go later though.

Dude, I cannot find the chess set at all. I can find a chess piece, but apparently not the set.

Aside from Highlights Magazine I've never really played hidden object games, so I don't know what real feedback I can give. I do dig the whimsical art style though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus View Post
    Dude, I cannot find the chess set at all. I can find a chess piece, but apparently not the set.

Aside from Highlights Magazine I've never really played hidden object games, so I don't know what real feedback I can give. I do dig the whimsical art style though.
    hey! the chess set. yeah thats a hard one. we almost moved it because people were having trouble. Its in the room with the Piano. look on the top shelf.

also whats up Zombie Platypus! i met you at pax east like 2 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post
    Why have I heard of this game before? I'll give this a go later though.
    I think Johnathan Holmes tweeted about it. We also got some writ ups on Gamasutra and kotaku. a couple other sites too that i cant seem to remember right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jettpack View Post
    also whats up Zombie Platypus! i met you at pax east like 2 years ago!
    Yeah, I remember you. We're even friends on Steam even though I only actually attempt to play anything on Steam like once a year. "Attempt" being the key word, with my crappy laptop.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Looks pretty sweet! I'll give it a go.