Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Your dream game - Pitch it

Quote Originally Posted by BadStar View Post
    What's your idea? Feel free to link to it if you don't feel like explaining it again.

After I get back from Detroit I'm going to start making games from the ideas in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Nihil/feminisms-again-w-nihil-steal-my-idea-for-a-protagonist-254733.phtml
    What's my idea of a compelling female lead? Well, first off, she's a drug addict. And, wait for it.

Wait, for it.

And she has brain damage. AND, her first mission is to escape the fog of a psychedelic hallucination. No, I'm serious.

But WHY is that compelling? WHY? You can't empathize with that either!

Shut your mouth, I'm not done.

We later find out that she is bearing a child that may or may not be the anti-christ. You're probably hoping that it's the anti-christ, so that things get really interesting. You're not alone.

AND, as a mini-game, you can try to convince doctors to abort it, but of course, something forces them to think her giving birth to it would be for the best. Still not compelled? She's British, so she has a soothing accent to downplay her patent mania.

For extra mind-fuckery shits n giggles, no one ever says her name. And when they're about to, they're interrupted.

See what I did there? Compelled yet? No? Good, 'cause there's more.

Everyone loves a good moral choice simulator. But if you're like me, you never go outside, which means you like to explore every option. Well guess what, every option, is never a dialogue choice or obvious action, like stabbing a kitten to death. They will be the simplest mundane things, from what style you put her hair in, to making her show up early for her appointments, and they will be the deciding factors that splinter the mysterious mystery. I'm still debating whether you could have her pop pills or not.
    The vibe would be along the lines of Shaun of the Dead meets Joss Whedon-lite or something. Granted, some of that is just me being facetious and/or would take a lot more programming than one guy would want to do. But as just a straight linear story, even that would be enough because I'm a fucking awesome writer. Also, the power of christ compels you to make this a game.

Last edited by Nihil; 08-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    I am certain this would sell. However, I wouldn't bite. Too "Requiem For A Dream"-y. Not my fare.

But, like I said, I bet this motherfucker would sell solid numbers.

Requiem For A Dream wasn't funny, though.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    I still like my idea, but then again, it was my idea. I'm so biased.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    Wow...I really like it...!! But maybe because it sounds like an idea I had some time ago..Pretty much of a 'who dunnit' set in a modern city's seedier underbelly.
    While 'amnesia' is a pretty common plot device, I'd thought that a good start to a game's story would be a girl (or guy) waking up with only the vaguest of memories of who/what/where. A quick survey of the crap hole she's in reveals nothing but more questions. A bunch of serious drug paraphernalia (pipes,needles, spoons,etc) litter the area , and then she finds the Large amount of Cash in a gym bag...along with some guns...and ... the dead guy.

Oh crap ! she figures out that she ( whoever 'she' is !) needs to get out of this unsavory situation ASAP, but ...

...THAT's when she doubles over in pain...BAD pain...Blurry memories make her slowly reach for her sleeve, pulling it up to reveal dozens and dozens of new and OLD track marks....The drugs...? The needles?... They are obviously... Hers.
    SHE is way more involved in this scene and about the ONLY thing that's becoming clear is that she is not a 'model citizen' and is possibly a murderer.
    After a bit of thinking, she realizes that (a) she Can NOT go to the police, as they will surely lock her up as the most obvious suspect, and (b) That if she is going to find out who/what/why , then she's going to HAVE to stop the agonizing pain and sickness that's only getting worse. After rummaging thru the drug debris, she finds and (clumsily) does a small amount.
    She is INSTANTLY better...but(!)...( and this is a LOT like YOUR idea here ) she now must contend with the narcotic's effects...a fog...a blur....conversations would be partially heard as mumbles...you get the idea. She (you the player) would have to decide how to progress thru the story. The drugs WILL wear off, but you only have a small window before you become too sick to progress anywhere...Some key people would be more willing to talk to a drug user...( maybe more info if they're high together? But you must repeat ?'s and be able to separate BS from truth) and some people might have info while you're in-between and maybe some doctor and cops MAY have info if you are trying to NOT take drugs -- for awhile,anyway.
    You would HAVE to find SOME kind of drugs because otherwise, the withdrawal effects will have you ending up passing out and,if found by 'good' guys, they take you to the ER -and the subsequent police arrest) or, if you pass out by yourself somewhere, you are found by the bad guys...and, well, game over... ( going WITHOUT drugs would just be the opposite of taking them...Colors WAY too bright,getting worse until it's just going to a whiteout..... every sound really loud and brassy-louder and louder until it's just a steady screech )

Of course, it'd HAVE to end in rehab ( a rehab shootout?...hmmmm...)

YOUR idea for the 'devil baby' ?.....That'd be ICING on the cake!
    ( although, my version wouldn't be funny...Well...maybe somewhat..)

But i really DO like you idea of brain damage as a character trait. My wife works in a big hospital's psych unit and there are a lot of people who CAN and do function just fine-- for awhile. Only to slide in and out of madness --again and again.
    terrible...but GREAT material!

Funny, i figured everyone was like me and had given this topic YEARS of thought. THIS is the first thread i've read since signing up a few moments ago. I was hoping to read a gazzilion ideas, just to compare them to MY gazzillion ideas!
    Oh, well...Here's my pitch, and when it eventually (almost inevitably) gets done, I wanna cut! ( Also because I have been thinking about this one for YEARS and YEARS!)
    Two words...One Name...
    Jules Verne
    THERE is a buncha potential there.
    In a mash up of the original story and various movies/tv versions, i think that '20,000 leagues under the sea' would be a BLAST.
    And, YES, I HAVE thought about the upcoming Assassin's Creed 4 game and think that, if they don't screw it up like the other AC games, then it could be close to my idea )

Start with an idea/game engine in the 'Mass Effect' style. The Nautilus ( oh, just THINK of the nautical/steampunk/rivets and brass beauty THAT could be!) is at sea, with capt. Nemo fighting his 'war against war' by attacking ALL warships. Fish out loot and captives (converts?) from the floating debris...But linger too long and you'll be spotted and pursued across the globe by every naval ship around...Better fire up the engines and go !!...dive,dive,dive!

Personally, i liked the 'star chart' fast travel in mass effect and it'd work at sea too...

Every island/land mass could have a set amount of playground --both ashore and a few miles out to sea.
    Nemo could have a MAIN island/home base and set up outposts etc.
    Island treasure hunting is one thing, but you could go OUTSIDE the submarine while she's sitting on the sea floor. Get the capts. log/ shipping schedules outta the safe on board the light battle frigate you just rammed and sent to the bottom.

Armor, speed, and Torpedo upgrades for the Nautilus, skill and speed upgrades for the crew...

Sounds like AC4 huh...?
    Yep..EXCEPT(!!) for the fact that (a) its a cool ass submarine...(b) It's about 250-300 years later -- and so weapons and gear are actually cool/fast ( heck, set it in the early years of WW1 so you can fight GERMAN submarines! ) Don't forget (c) , that in MY game, you can actually POINT AND FIRE your gun, cannon, torpedo, speargun, etc instead of "highlight the enemy, now release button...get mad because POS game's controls are so bad you have somehow highlighted and shot the powder barrel that's right next to you...Better run and jump ...and wait...I mashed the button 3 times ! ! Why did i jump in the water?! WTF !
    In MY Game, the controls WORK...like any other 3rd person game ( or even first person?)
    ( NO...I do NOT like the Assass games...I cannot think of a series I WANTED to like more, but have been disappointed again and again. AC3 is one big cutscene, interrupted over and over by you walking about five steps.And after each pointless cutscene, and after reading yet ANOTHER snarky, cheezy, lame ass, attempt-to-be-funny "info page" ,(which is about yet another BUILDING ! !!?? ) After which. I get to travel all over heck and back to get crap to run my farm or boards or firewood or some such thing...ugh)
    I personally think ubisoft realized that the ONLY redeeming part of the game was the shipboard parts of the game and THAT is where ASSASSin's Creed FOUR came from...Which, yes, DOES have apparently have a LOT of the stuff I'd like in my game...
    But, again...MY game would work!

Plus...(d) there ARE those fricking Giant Squid everywhere !!!

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I know there are at least two other threads that are much older and have a few more ideas that you might be interested in, ferret.

Quote Originally Posted by This is mostly taken (again) from an earlier post I made in the [B]Impossible Game Wishes[/B] thread: [url]http://www.destructoid.com/forum/showthread.php?p=304767#post304767[/url][COLOR=#333333]
    [/COLOR]

I've always wanted to play a 6 player co-op action game with an MMO-sized (geography wise) open world in a fantasy setting with cities ranging from small towns to giant metropolises filled with merchants, thousands of pedestrians (imagine Assassin's Creed's engine beautifully rendering huge cities and huge NPC population, as well as the surrounding countryside), beggars, guards, mage councils, player-controlled guilds (and guild wars), etc, AND the miles and miles of wilderness, roads, and caves between!

Ideally, I wanted it to be based around the Sword Coast from Forgotten Realms where you could play as any D&D class with all of their powers, but that setting isn't really essential, because I'm positive this premise can work with any well-balanced group of classes and decent setting. The D&D classes already have the perfect set of abilities and powers that I want to see placed into an action game, so I'll use them as the basis of my idea:

• Mages/Psionicists should be able to teleport or create portals anywhere within there power, hover around in some limited capacity, rain hell, charm NPCs or other players, spy on enemy guilds through magic versions of wire-taps and magic viewing balls, and all sorts of other nifty things.

• Thieves/Assassins/Bounty Hunters should be able to sneak in the shadows, blend into crowds, pick pockets, pick locks, backstab, climb buildings, and physically spy on other guilds (maybe steal bags of gold when transferring from storefronts to guildbanks).

• Monks/Warriors/Barbarians should be able to bust down any non-reinforced door or maybe wall, leap impressive distances, and all other class-specific things they should have (like monks being able to safely fall from any height, resist all poisons - or barbarians being able to go berserk and resist magics).

Every class would be as customizable as characters in Oblivion, but the controls would be much tighter. The camera and controls would essentially be what we've found in Dragon's Dogma, with a realistic visual flair in the vein of Dark Soul's attack animations, and the character depth found in D&D RPGs.

I'd want the world to be filled with story-centric quests in every city and town, and the game should feel as though the major cities aren't just starting zones for adventure. Players should be able to associate with guilds throughout the game and wage social/political/literal war on other factions, all within the confines of a single city if they want to. Monks or Paladins could become zealots for a church and attempt to condemn the unholy. Conversely, the expansive areas beyond the walls should contain bounties, dangerous wildlife, and other story-driven quests.

Your character's attributes should rise as you play the game, similarly to Dark Souls. Your gear quality and skills/spells should increase over time, making enemies seem easier as your character noticeably progresses, but with an focus on keeping progression grounded so there is no massive handicap when dueling other players simply because you've "gained levels". Dark Souls does a great job at this in the first 100 levels.

Again, to break down the description of the game and its elements:

• Action-genre gameplay with RPG-esque elements involved in skills/spells and item attributes, reasonable progression.
      • Intricate controls to allow for fast-paced DMC-esque action, but with realistic visuals as seen in Assassin's Creed.

• Your character's abilities progress by learning skills and spells taught by class trainers, and earning better gear.

• Hugely expansive fantasy setting focusing on one or several major cities and their surrounding country side, similar to Assassin's Creed.
      • Fill the cities with a realistic population.

• Allow for missions/quests to take place in the cities' streets, dungeons, and towers, as well as filling the country side with outcasts, barbarians, dragons, etc.

• Small-scale multiplayer with up to ~6 people at a time in a group, but still fully functional in solo-play, similar to Diablo or Baldur's Gate games.
      • This allows for less lag and more personal interaction between your group members.

• The quests can be more involved and impactful when catered to a single small group in a persistent world, rather than hundreds of simultaneous players like in MMOs.

----------------------

That said, even though I said I really wanted a more intimate, small-scale, plot-driven affair, I could totally see and be on board with a game that takes that huge world along with its NPC factions and populations and uses it as the foundation of an MMO!

Replace story-centric quests with a greater number of typical MMO daily/repeatable tasks and trade-craft duties and the world can become more dense and fruitful for a large player-base, and the cities would be filled with people running around for a purpose.

The main goal of the end-game would be maintaining the struggle of powers between player-run guilds; instead of PvP or RvR, it would be GvG (guild vs guild). Completely player-created guild halls would function as bases for these groups, and they would house guards, merchants, banks, and other assets --- all off which would be susceptible to sabotage from other guilds' subterfuge or outright attack. NPC merchants could be "owned" by certain guilds if they're in the territory and "persuaded" to work for them. A fantasy-based EVE, essentially!

Cities would be protected by powerful mage clans/guards or bands of assassins (which should be familiar to anyone whose played Baldur's Gate II or read Forgotten Realms novels), so there would be no fear of being attacked on the crowded streets during the day because of the heavily armored guards all around --- depending on the neighborhood, of course.
    Guild halls could be located anywhere the guild decides, such as in any unused building along the streets in a city district, hidden under certain buildings with access to trap doors through old sewer tunnels, or built deep inside a forest, cave, or desert fortress designed and built by players.

With boats to transfer wares from town to town!!!... and pirates!!!... and pirate chasers! And now there's a completely new venue for action! [Edit - Totally wanted Assassin's Creed 4 gameplay four years ago!]

Basically, if anyone has ever played an old MUD with a playerbase actively involved in ongoing guild wars, you know what I want to see brought to life fully to the scale of a dozen separate games all into one --- but have it set in Luskan, Waterdeep, Icewind Dale, and/or Calimport!

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I drew up a bunch of character concepts for a fighting game called Cruel Duel between the ages of 13 and 15. I found them the other day when I was packing stuff and they're pretty dumb. Lots of monsters and evil scientists and silly trope-y characters. The backstories are about as deep as you'd expect; not very.

More recently, I was brainstorming an idea for a beat 'em up called Old! which begins at your characters funeral - you bust out of the casket and terrorize your loved ones (this being a tutorial stage of sorts). You basically start as a 100-year-old man with very few skills. Each stage is a decade of your life, which you play in reverse, slowly gaining more power and abilities. Bosses would include people like your doctor, ex-wives, rival co-workers - regular life stuff. The only explanation I could come up with for this guy attacking everyone in his life is that he's just sort of a cranky asshole. Maybe at the end he would realize all the mistakes he'd made, or something. Maybe that's too deep.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Sounds pretty awesome, actually. The whole design sounds like an exercise in merging ludonarrative with meta commentary about life and choices.

In inverted life order from oldest to youngest, I imagine the life obstacles as bosses (and their powers) would go:

• nursing home staff (leave the nursing home)
    • greedy children trying to take what you'd leave behind before you die (some kind of object/item obtained)
    • young drivers annoyed at your driving habits (receive driver's license and car)
    • bank officials wanting your assets (money get)
    • ex wife, (money and energy get)
    • heart doctor (life bonus)
    • terrible boss (job earned, executive perks)
    • a few work rivals ( bonus)
    • college (now you have free time)

Or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    I drew up a bunch of character concepts for a fighting game called Cruel Duel between the ages of 13 and 15. I found them the other day when I was packing stuff and they're pretty dumb. Lots of monsters and evil scientists and silly trope-y characters. The backstories are about as deep as you'd expect; not very.

More recently, I was brainstorming an idea for a beat 'em up called Old! which begins at your characters funeral - you bust out of the casket and terrorize your loved ones (this being a tutorial stage of sorts). You basically start as a 100-year-old man with very few skills. Each stage is a decade of your life, which you play in reverse, slowly gaining more power and abilities. Bosses would include people like your doctor, ex-wives, rival co-workers - regular life stuff. The only explanation I could come up with for this guy attacking everyone in his life is that he's just sort of a cranky asshole. Maybe at the end he would realize all the mistakes he'd made, or something. Maybe that's too deep.
    Never go full Jonathan Blow.

[Level 2: Human]
    Years ago my friends and I were pitching a game called Johnny Torso. The terrible NeverDead had a similar idea where you would roll around and collect your limbs. Johnny Torso however was much cooler however because he not only collected his own limbs but any libs he could find making the game much more like a mix between Katamari and the upcoming Knack. You could be a Voltron of limbs! Eat legs bad guys!
    You'd be fighting for disabled workers rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post

Holy crap...I too REALLY think that this is a really good idea...( plus, now that I'm (ugh) 'middle-aged' , I seem to find myself thinking of the whole 'wish I woulda...' mixed along with the usual "oh crap, NOW what?'....) Plus the timeline the other poster started looked spot on....All those events that get a person to where they are...THOSE are pretty good game gimmicks(for lack of a better word) Some big ( "ooh..! A Car accident!I REMEMBER this....! Should I stop and help?...Or just keep going?...To the smaller...." That bum is asking for spare change...Did I...? Should I?..He might just spend it on booze..."
    Heck, it'd even make an interesting 'personality test' type flash game ---in a toned down version...
    A backward lifespan...VERY cool idea.

Heck...I even got a PERFECT DLC event for my Captin Nemo game....You could go to 'The Mysterious Island' !

( It's another J.Verne book...Giant crabs and birds and stuff...Fun,cheezy movie w/ Ray Harryhausen effects too....)

I've had an image in my head of a game that I really want to play for years now, but I've never found anything that exists that can give me what I'm looking for.

The idea is that you play as a samurai in a somewhat period accurate open world RPG, or action adventure. It would be set in a pre-industrial* Japan and you would roam around the land on your quest. What that quest would be, I do not know, but it should be in a world that's laid out like an open world RPG where you have lots of towns dotted around a large open environment you can explore, with lots of different characters to interact with.

Combat would be somewhat realistic, but not so much that it wouldn't be fun. For example your combat animations would be based around Kenjutsu, or whatever the most appropriate martial art would be, but the gameplay would play much more like an action game. Not flipping around or anything like that though, just something that looks authentic and makes you think about how you fight, but isn't just one strike and you're dead. It just needs a bit of flair to make it engaging from a gameplay perspective.

One point I'm undecided in is whether there should be a fantasy element to the world. Whether enemies you fight are all human, and the problems you face are all human problems, or whether there could also be some creatures from Japanese folklore, with a dose of supernatural in the story. Like perhaps your overall quest could be to stop some evil monster from taking over the land with his army of Oni, or it could just be about feuding clans. Either way would be fine with me, although if the fantasy elements were there, I would want them to be as close to the traditional depiction of those creatures etc. as possible. Perhaps having the supernatural elements would be better, since it would allow for more variation in gameplay and a generally more interesting world. But the fantasy element shouldn't be so large that it turns the game world completely in to a fantasy world. It still needs to be recognisable as a Japan that did exist at some point.

I've tried finding a game like this before, and while there are a few things out there, none of them are really that close to what my vision is. I've heard the Way of the Samurai games are somewhat like this, and I've played the first, but I found it to be far too narrow in scope to be what I'm looking for. Maybe that new Yakuza game could be another candidate, if it even gets released outside of Japan.

*I say "pre-industrial" because I don't know enough about different periods in Japanese history to know what would be the best time time to set it in. People often say "feudal Japan" or "Edo period", and I suppose that's the kind of thing I'm thinking of, but I don't really know exactly what those periods are. I just know that those are only a small part of Japanese history, and when people say them they are often trying to refer to something much broader than what those words actually mean.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    I know, this genre's been done to death, but bear with me for a second.

SMITE's already done the third person view MOBA playstyle and has shown it can work. In fact, it's better than most of the MOBA-styled games out there, better than League of Lesbians, although not topping DotA 2. Now I'm not saying that Dynasty Warriors should be entirely like SMITE. In fact, that'd be stupid. However, SMITE's melee gods show how well idea could work out. Seriously, if you haven't tried SMITE yet, do it. It's surprisingly fun and incredibly frantic.

Dynasty Warriors is already a third person action game with large scaled battles where two armies face each other. Basically, keep that structure, but make the balance between the two sides on the map more balanced. So instead of overcoming a balance skewed against you by defeating officers and unlocking certain events by reaching points on the map, have both armies fight an equal amount.

Now take your general three-lane MOBA map as the most basic of maps. Instead of towers, or turrets, or whatever you game of choice calls them, we've got camps. Within those camps, you've got three Gate Captains. Defeat those, the camp falls. Only defeat one or two Gate Captains, and they'll respawn after about 5 minutes or so.

Both teams will get 5 Commanding Officers, starting at level 1. You gain levels by defeating regular troops or enemy officers. A downed officer respawns back at the main base. Better items, ranged weaponry and personal bodyguard upgrades can be bought with the experience you've acquired during the fight, using a unified exp/gold system the way Awesomenauts does.

There should be more than one map, and not all of them are 5v5. There should be 2v2 and 3v3 maps as well. Maybe some 3v4 or 2v5 maps as well, the maps providing compensation for the team with less players. Not all of the maps should be the typical lane type stuff either. Mix it up. Have a map where the first "tower" is single lane and then it branches off into two lanes. Have the maps be non-symmetrical.

Most importantly, keep the game arcade styled. Don't make it too serious, don't bring in complicated builds, or deep meta. Keep it light enough to easily jump into, like Awesomenauts. Not that there's anything wrong with depth, but SMITE's kind of got the deeper side of things covered and Dynasty Warriors has never been a deep strategic metagaming series. Keep it a fun hack and slash experience. Place it alongside of one of the fivehundred different versions of each new game, like Xtreme Legends and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by AboveUp View Post
    In fact, it's better than most of the MOBA-styled games out there, better than League of Lesbians, although...
    I would play the fuck out of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday Legend View Post
    I would play the fuck out of that game.
    But.... no one else would want to play with you. Because of your Y-chromosome.

Game I thought of because of a dream.
    Paranormal X-COM. Dealing with ghosts and shit instead of aliens.
    Tactical, third person/ first person shooter. Switching between characters would have you zoom in on their helmet feed which would then become your screen (all the troopers are wearing helmets with a little camera on it so they can see what everyone else sees). Armor and weapon upgrades are researched and purchased after accumulating enough capital through missions. The whole idea of this came in a dream wherein this squad of troopers was investigating an art exhibit, filled with what they described as "paranormal and occult" paintings. Ghostly figures were floating about looking at each of the portraits which were filled with bizarre and creepy scenes. Then they saw the "artist", who was a ghost with particularly long hands and a large head, whose body was hidden behind a large portrait frame. They aimed and fired at him, which began the fight. He would attempt to possess one of the units by jamming his fingers into their backs, but they had upgraded body armor that locked up during a possession, so that while it wasted their turn, they couldn't harm their allies. Everyone was firing away trying to destroy all the paintings, and taking shots at the artist whenever he appeared. Rockets were fired, ectoplasmic guns sprayed wildly, and eventually the artist tried to escape into his portrait, but they destroyed it before he could and he dissipated. They went back to base and sold various intact paintings and ectoplasmic residue samples and stuff like that. I could see various monsters and demons and things being worked into it, besides freaky ass ghosts.