Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Your dream game - Pitch it

[Level 2: Human]
    A game where a player's choice matters.
    I want to build an universe, a MMO that is located in outer space. The theme for the first installment will be robots and pirates.

Each game will be connected to the universe as a whole. Every decision you make and every action you take will affect both you and other players in the universe. Think of a game universe built with multiple games. And the game will not be in the same genre. The first pirate robot game will be a exploration pvp game. Second game will be a citybuilding diplomacy game. 3rd will be a first person shooter. etc.

Full disclosure 1: This will be built on the iOS
    Full disclosure 2: I'm currently building this game. Feedback and discussion greatly appreciated.

Calvin

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_Calvin View Post
    3rd will be a first person shooter. etc.

Bwuahahahaha....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    And that game will be Shinobi's 1,000,000th game he ever beat.

The end.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_Calvin View Post
    A game where a player's choice matters.
    I want to build an universe, a MMO that is located in outer space. The theme for the first installment will be robots and pirates.

Each game will be connected to the universe as a whole. Every decision you make and every action you take will affect both you and other players in the universe. Think of a game universe built with multiple games. And the game will not be in the same genre. The first pirate robot game will be a exploration pvp game. Second game will be a citybuilding diplomacy game. 3rd will be a first person shooter. etc.

Full disclosure 2: I'm currently building this game. Feedback and discussion greatly appreciated.

Calvin
    Sounds pretty ambitious. Like, maybe a little too ambitious, especially for an iOS game. Tell us more about it. How do the player choices actually affect the game world and other players? How do the different sections of the game connect with each other in a meaningful way? Are you working on the game by yourself or in a team? Why did you choose iOS as a platform?

Quote Originally Posted by BadStar View Post
    Sounds pretty ambitious. Like, maybe a little too ambitious, especially for an iOS game. Tell us more about it. How do the player choices actually affect the game world and other players? How do the different sections of the game connect with each other in a meaningful way? Are you working on the game by yourself or in a team? Why did you choose iOS as a platform?
    The easier questions:

No, I have a team working with me, currently 1 finance and math guy, me as design and bizdev, my lead engineer, a backend engineer and an ui/design princess.

For the harder question:

A good example would be our first 2 titles.

As a pirate, you raid and quest to gather the strongest crew of robots. you get levels, items and ranking based on your pvp and pve prowess.

When the second game comes out, the empires will need to hire mercenaries to fight each other, or to bolster their forces. A pirate group with fame and higher ranking will be the most sought after. The income from being hired will then boost their pvp and pve prowess in the first game while the fighting power of the mercenaries will help the hiring empire dominate their game.

Also, we have incorporated an extensive storyline. In terms of questing, players are given choices in how to approach missions. These choices will affect the overall storyline and the ways quests are conducted. Also, player choices in how to complete missions will have an affect on progression as well. Smaller features such as alignment, alliances, boss fights, QTE will be added later on.

We choice the iOS mainly because of its standardized resolution,standardized OS,standardized screen density (see where im going with this?), etc and also the monetization factor.

In terms of ambition, this this is highly ambitious. However, I am a firm believer that if i am to break my asian decree of becoming a doctor, i may as well shoot for the moon.

Still responds to BLOO
    Vanquish 2 with the RoboDog attachment.

And about 8 more hours of quality content.

Man's best friend in the year 3012.

[Level 5: Mech]
    A version of Bastion that would actually wow me like it did to other people. Ditto for Braid.

Quote Originally Posted by BadStar View Post
    After a few months of failing to land a game industry job, I'm planning on buckling down and grinding out some smaller game projects over the next 6-8 months to build up my portfolio and learn some new stuff. I'd be more than happy to throw some ideas around with you anytime you'd like. I'm open to do basically anything as long as it's relatively small in scope.

But yeah, that Victor dude just HAS to be in a game.
    You have my unrestricted permission.

An FPS or a DMC/Darksiders-type hack 'n' slash game in Final Fantasy's art style/aesthetic.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    I just want someone to recreate The Guardian Legend.

Make a new version and modernize the whole thing. It's a recipe for amazing just waiting to happen.

Either that, or make a Megaman game that has an intro stage that brings you into the heart of a Wily compound.
    The hub section is the boss select screen.
    The stages have multiple pathways and breakaway walls / parts into other stages.
    The robot masters have weapons that serve more purposes than ever before because of this.
    Beating all eight stages opens up an elevator to a MASSIVE underground lair, where the real adventure begins.

It's like Megatroid. If you hate on that, fuck you​, your taste sucks.

Oops, someone already made my dream game

http://mkopas.net/files/HUGPUNX/

Pwnd
    ME3 except that my choices mattered and no Star Child.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    - Fallout with vehicles. Gonna be hard to justify cars and airborne vehicles, but it'd be awesome...there is always GTA for that anyways.

- Or maybe Mass Effect 4 where it goes the RPG route and not the action game route. And it takes cues on the writing and decision making from The Walking Dead.

- An RPG that is everything right about the game Shadow Madness, without everything that's wrong. (Which is mostly just the item and battle system.) I need to stop bringing that game up...

- Halo 3 PC with Custom Edition, or Halo PC Anniversary Edition with a Custom Edition. While I'm on that route...Megaman Legends 3.

Pwnd
    Fallout with Vehicles? Kind of destroys the purpose of exploration/survival...maybe in Fallout 5 CoD edition?

Escape Velocity with a persistent online multiplayer universe. A game that is simple to play but has the depth to keep players engaged. Plenty of social media opportunities, player initiated events, emergent storytelling, and all with low development and ongoing costs.

Expand Existing Features
    Expand the size of the universe, the number of factions, even the amount of empty systems between factions.
    Expand the variety of ships one can buy and the variety of upgrades.

Keep the Charm of the Original
    Keep the simple graphics (but perhaps with the level of EV:Nova detail) and the 2D plane of travel to make it pick up and play simple to keep development cheap.
    Keep hail/communications minimal in order to blur the line between NPC and player communications, enhance immersion, and limit abuse/spam.
    Keep planet descriptions basic, humorous random events, and interface simple.
    Keep faction advancement gradual.

Add multiplayer to make the universe more dynamic (but not broken)
    Allow trading to affect market prices (somewhat - not to the point where trade routes have to be reworked every week).
    Allow grouping of player ships/fleets.
    PvP is always on.
    Increase the difficulty of capturing disabled ships to prevent quick battle fleet development.
    Increase the strength and responsiveness of core system faction fleets to allow new players to have a modicum of safety.
    Allow for the capture of player ships and more in depth scanning to determine cargo and damage of other ships.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    A Mega Man X game made by Platinum Games where X plays like Sam Gideon from Vanquish and Zero plays like Raiden from Metal Gear Rising.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Sounds legit. Music By Entertainment System.

Beast Master
    I want a game where you play as a man of pure rippling muscle. Not rippling metaphorically, but literally. Muscles rippling like the surface of a lake at dusk as a cool autumn wind blows across. A constant rippling. This man is completely nude, but where his penis should be there is instead a single barrel shotgun, and instead of testicles he has a pair of buck knives connected by a chain dangling down between his legs at the base of the gun. The game takes place in a sunlit forest, with shafts of light cutting through the pine branches above our hero's head. He uses his gun cock to eradicate any animals he comes across, as well as any picnicking families he finds that fail to present him with blue Powerade and teriyaki beef jerky. The game ends when our hero makes it out of the woods and takes a taxi home, where he sits on his couch and turns on his television and watches Jeopardy while commenting on how badly he still misses Alex Trebek's moustache even after all these years.

You lose if you don't make it home in time for Jeopardy.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothX View Post
    A Mega Man X game made by Platinum Games where X plays like Sam Gideon from Vanquish and Zero plays like Raiden from Metal Gear Rising.
    Gaaaaaaah, every time I hear that I want it to be true. I miss games with upgrade systems that feel earned instead of arbitrarily given via story convention. Finding Dr. Light capsules to unlock features and improvements is pretty much second to none.

I could easily see a character swap, with Sam Gideon replaced with MMX, and the sliding dash replaced with an upgradable infamous forward dash and air dash. Replace/augment the cover mechanics with a competent jumping/platforming system, and you're basically done. Raiden is basically already Zero. Shit! I want this to happen!