Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shmup recommendations

Shmup recommendations

I never really got into shmups, tried some supposed classics on snes (R-Type, Gradius, etc.) and a few doujin ones but didn't really feel any of them.
    But now I got an xbox, only a few days ago, and finally had the chance to download that Ikaruga game I had been interested in for quite a while.

Basically, the game is incredible. Without even paying attention to chains yet I barely can make it halfway through level 3, that's with 5 lives + continues. But for some reason every moment of playing is just pure joy.
    What I want to know is whether there are any other shmups that can compare to Ikaruga's awesomeness at all. I wouldn't even mind if those don't exist but if they do, now that I'm getting such enjoyment out of a genre I know nothing about, I wouldn't want to be missing out.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Any of the Touhou games, Trigger Heart Exelica, Radirgy on Dreamcast, Radiant Silvergun, Blue Wish Resurrection, and a bunch of doujin shmups that I forgot the names of.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    -Shoot 1up on XBLA is absolutely masterful and it's 80MP.
    -Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters Aces on XBOX360
    -Triggerheart Exelica on XBOXLive Arcade
    -Galaga Legions on XBOXLive Arcade

-Mobile Light Force 2 (Shikigami 1) on PS2
    -Castle of Shikigami 2 on PS2

-Castle of Shikigami 3 on Wii
    -The Ultimate Shooter Collection on Wii
    -Blastworks on Wii

-Perfect Cherry Blossom on PC

-Ketsui Death Label on DS
    -Big Bang Mini on DS
    -Bangai-O Spirits on DS

-Gradius V on PS2
    -Raiden III on PS2
    -The Red Star on PS2 and PSP

-Soldner 1 & 2 on PS3
    -GundeadliGne on PS3

There's a buttload of shmups on NES , SNES and Sega Saturn. Also, you might want to look into importing if you want the best there is.

I tried to compile the ones I have in my collection and that are available in North America.
    OH, and Deathsmiles is coming up on June 30(retail release) , Otomedius Excellent should be available on XBOXlive arcade later on this year as well.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Mushihime-sama Futari (360)
    Espgaluda II (360)

Both imports.

Hydorah (PC)

Cool, free indie thing.

DeathSmiles (360)

Coming out at the end of the month.

Naoto #1 Fan
    Parodius Da! (SNES)
    Sexy Parodius (Dreamcast)
    Radirgy (Dreamcast)
    R-Type III: The Third Lightning (SNES)
    Gradius V (PS2)

And Cho Aniki.

Even though you said you didn't feel Gradius, maybe check out the collection on the PSP. The series evolved beautifully over two decades and the best way to see that is by playing the ball-busting arcade versions. Be warned, though. Most serious shmup players consider those games more painful than modern bullet-hell games, since they take a long time to complete (Gradius III takes something like 3-4x the amount of time it takes to loop Ikaruga), the ships have large hitboxes, and they usually don't offer continues (they don't help much anyway).

I would also highly recommend one get the Parodius and Salamander collections on PSP, both of which are import-only but aren't region-locked. The former collection is a complete acid trip with the same toughness as Gradius and arguably more options of play to explore, especially in the later games. The latter compilation has Salamander 2 and Xexex, two of the most beautifully-designed side-scrolling (and in Salamander 2's case, also vertical-scrolling) arcade shooters ever designed. Both of them look brilliant on the PSP's smaller screen. That collection also has a great version of the MSX Nemesis II for people who really want to geek out.

If you like cute, Japanese stuff, I'd also recommend the Twinbee collection for PSP. It's a solid evolution of the Xevious style of shmup.

R-Type Delta for the original Playstation is a sweet download at the PSN Store. I wish they would release a downloadable version of X-Multiply/Image Fight, two of the best Irem shooters ever made.

UN Squadron for the SNES.

Truxton for the arcade or the Genesis.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraid View Post
    OH, and Deathsmiles is coming up on June 30(retail release)
    BUY THIS.

Otomedius Excellent should be available on XBOXlive arcade later on this year as well.
    That one will actually be a retail release as well AFAIK, Konami screwed up the press release. The first Otomedius supposedly wasn't that great though, hopefully they've improved this one...

Anyways, as for general recommendations, I've got too many to list (some of which have already been mentioned here), so instead I'll link you to a pair of articles I did on the shmup libraries of the Saturn and PS1. I also highly recommend Mushihime-sama Futari, which I wrote about here - moreover, do a search of this forum, there's another shmup topic floating around someplace.

[Level 2: Human]
    I will have to check out some of the 360 shmups. I die a lot, but these type of games are just a lot of fun. I have been playing Strikers 1945 on the neogeo, and it is a lot of fun.

Looks like everyone has this covered. Except for R-Type Dimensions, it's pretty cool, but it really looks like nothing's going to top Ikaruga for you though Mueti.

And for anybody that hasn't seen this; I came across this one randomly the other day (and haven't read about it anywhere):

It's only 80 points, pretty neat, challenging too.

Deathsmiles is coming out so soon, YES.

Since it's probably cheap as hell by now, I'd recommend people grab up copies of Taito Legends 2 for the PS2. That disc gives you the best two games from the Darius series (Gaiden and G-Darius), Metal Black, Gekirindan, Gun Frontier, Grid Seeker, Raystorm, Insector X, and a couple versions of Space Invaders. There alone you've got some good horizontal scrollers, some good vertical scrollers, etc... so it's well worth the $5-15 it'll cost. The X-Box/PC version of the set doesn't include Rayforce or G-Darius, but for some reason has Raycrisis instead.

I hope a lot of people buy Death Smiles when it comes out, even though diehard shmup fans out there have already been playing it on their Japanese 360s and are probably playing the sequel already. I'd be curious to know just how well games like Raiden 4 have fared with that system's retro-hostile fanbase.

I think I might import myself a copy of Darius Burst for the PSP. I just wish the price wasn't the same as what it would cost for me to buy an American PS3 title.

Also, doujin shooters...
    I think I posted this in the other thread, but fuck it, it's awesome...

I'm not sure if it counts as a shmup but you'd probably like Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies on Wii. It's by the same developer as Ikaruga and it is fucking awesome.

I don't think many people bought Raiden 4 man, and if they did, it got sold to Gamestop. I saw like 3 copies in one store, selling as used, looking all brand new.

And Raystorm is on XBLA now in HD. Always do the trial game.

Edit: I read Caostotale's post when typing this.

Quote Originally Posted by theredpepperofdoom View Post
    Any of the Touhou games, Trigger Heart Exelica, Radirgy on Dreamcast, Radiant Silvergun, Blue Wish Resurrection, and a bunch of doujin shmups that I forgot the names of.
    I've heard of Touhou but don't know much about it. Where could I buy one?

This far down and no one mentioned Ikaruga?

NVM . . .
    Last edited by Arch649; 06-21-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: already bought it. My bad

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkmailer View Post
    And for anybody that hasn't seen this; I came across this one randomly the other day (and haven't read about it anywhere):
    Read The Obscurer Tribune.

I hope a lot of people buy Death Smiles when it comes out, even though diehard shmup fans out there have already been playing it on their Japanese 360s and are probably playing the sequel already.
    I imported the original, I imported the sequel, and dammit I'm buying the localized version next week. Efforts like this deserve to be supported, especially when they pack in so much extra stuff.

I've heard of Touhou but don't know much about it. Where could I buy one?
    The "Touhou" (aka "Shanghai Alice") games are Japanese homebrew PC titles - this Wiki has about all the info you could want on most of them. There are demos for most of the games floating around if you want to try them, but if you want to buy the full versions you can look around eBay or import stores like this one - be aware that you'll likely need to enable Japanese non-unicode text to run them. My personal favorites are Perfect Cherry Blossom and Imperishable Night, if you want suggestions on where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletMagnet View Post
    The "Touhou" (aka "Shanghai Alice") games are Japanese homebrew PC titles - this Wiki has about all the info you could want on most of them. There are demos for most of the games floating around if you want to try them, but if you want to buy the full versions you can look around eBay or import stores like this one - be aware that you'll likely need to enable Japanese non-unicode text to run them. My personal favorites are Perfect Cherry Blossom and Imperishable Night, if you want suggestions on where to start.
    I have no idea what Japanese non-unicode means. I've never really played a proper shmup though, so I should probably play Ikaruga and stuff like that first anyway. It seems like a really fun genre.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkmailer View Post

That looks nifty. I'm sure I have some points sitting around for it.

Somewhat off topic, but BulletMagnet!! You should totally write a "How To" for ESPgaluda II if you can like you did for Mushihime-sama Futari. That was super helpful, especially in the version differences.

Read The Obscurer Tribune.
    I should of known you covered it.

Quote Originally Posted by ekm29 View Post
    I have no idea what Japanese non-unicode means.
    It's basically just something you need to adjust under "language options" in your computer's Control Panel - it's not all that complicated (believe me, if I can do it, so can anyone). Look around and you'll find a step-by-step on how to do it, probably even in one or two Touhou-related guides.

Somewhat off topic, but BulletMagnet!! You should totally write a "How To" for ESPgaluda II if you can like you did for Mushihime-sama Futari.
    I've thought about it, but I doubt enough DToiders own the game to make the effort worth it...heck, hardly anyone went for Mushi Futari after I begged them for months (and the same will probably happen with DeathSmiles). Maybe someday, but for now 'Magnet School is my main focus. In the meantime, if there's a specific thing you need to know about Galuda II, look around the shmups.com forum, it's probably there someplace (honestly, a Galuda How-To would largely be a compilation of stuff from there).

It's basically just something you need to adjust under "language options" in your computer's Control Panel - it's not all that complicated (believe me, if I can do it, so can anyone). Look around and you'll find a step-by-step on how to do it, probably even in one or two Touhou-related guides.
    Sounds easy enough. Thanks.