Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Megathread

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I don't have any doubt that the Phantom Pain trailer we saw was nothing but a MGS trailer. I don't think anything in it is a literal clue to what any game will be like, though. Volgin is already dead, so is The Boss; all of this screams Big Boss's 'dream'. MGS3 had a vampire-themed, black and white, hack 'n' slash dream sequence... I think this is probably the closest thing this trailer references in what will be 'Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes'. Taking the hints so literally as a separate game seems bullheaded.

IMO, Phantom Pain is related to what we know as MGS:GZ, and not a third concurrently developed Metal Gear. I'm sure MGS5 is a thing, but I don't think anything we saw was related to it.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla Gravy View Post
    Who is this Gatsby guy you all keep prattling on about?
    He was a guy who made a ton of valuable contributions, then gave up on the place and left. This seems to happen a lot for some reason.

Also, I like Rev's Psycho Mantis theory. I was thinking along the lines of hallucination myself. Another alternate idea I had is that Solid might be in psychic contact with Liquid. That's where the "Phantom Pain" reference comes in. He's not just missing a limb but his clone. It kinda makes sense in a Kojima way, I think.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Arttemis View Post
    IMO, Phantom Pain is related to what we know as MGS:GZ, and not a third concurrently developed Metal Gear. I'm sure MGS5 is a thing, but I don't think anything we saw was related to it.
    Honestly, sometimes I wonder if GZ is just MGS5, and this is all just another head-fake in a long series of head-fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead
    That's where the "Phantom Pain" reference comes in. He's not just missing a limb but his clone. It kinda makes sense in a Kojima way, I think.
    Somebody pointed out that all of the people dying in the hospital seem to have the same face. This would be right around the time Les Enfants Terribles is being put into motion. They could all be failed clones, and Big Boss is having nightmares of them all dying from the process. It's nothing concrete though.

Also, somebody else pointed out that nobody sees the bandaged man in the trailer. It's as if he's a ghost, a figment of Big Boss' imagination. I doubt that he's the scar man either--you can see that there are no scars underneath those bandages.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arttemis View Post
    I don't have any doubt that the Phantom Pain trailer we saw was nothing but a MGS trailer.
    While you are pretty obviously correct, I would love for you to be wrong. I'd happily sacrifice the next MGS to see an unknown developer troll the entire world by planting nods to the series in the debut trailer for their survival horror title.

That's what I've been thinking, I say what we have seen of Ground Zeroes is to The Phantom Pain what the tanker mission was to MGS2. Or the other way around. I don't think we'll get another bait-and-switch this time around though, clearly it's a stealth game and the main character is Big Boss.

And on that note, I want this to be the game where Big Boss begins to lose his shit. Since Ground Zeroes will likely utilise the same structure as MGS4, they could work with a longer timeline of events and as a result, character progression. Ending the game with the main protagonist committing some abhorrent crime would be too epic in my opinion. But I'm not holding out any hope for this.

Pwnd
    Demo is coming! Demo is coming! It's for Rising: Revengeance and no one cares but still...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/me...st-next-month/

I also really like the Les Enfants Terribles thing.

Pwnd
    Pretty shitty of Konami, though I expected it. I know a few people who bought ZoE HD just for that demo.

Suckers.

Pwnd
    Wouldn't have even posted that if I had realized what it was. I saw "Metal Gear demo" and squeed thoughtlessly. Plus it's easy to be confused by this stuff when you haven't been keeping up. The last one I played was MGS3.

Pwnd
    It's actually a pretty fun demo. Only person I talked to who didn't like it was Gatsberger. The cutscenes are atrocious though.

Pwnd
    He doesn't like anything though. His even speaking of something is really quite the compliment.

Pwnd
    I thought that too until I saw him repping FF13 and MGS4. Then I knew that fucker was just trolling the shit out of everybody, lol.

Also, I noticed today that the Snake Eater title screen in the HD Collection is out of sync (which is apparently old news to the rest of the world). How do you fuck up such a memorable part of the game? The more I play this collection, the more its flaws start to stick out. It's a good thing I didn't get rid of my PS2 copies.

Pwnd
    HD collections always suck though don't they? I thought about getting the one for Hitman then was like, naw. I already have the two I want (Blood Money and Absolution).

Pwnd
    The HD update of Killzone not only bumped up the resolution, but it stabilized the framerate and patched a couple dozen bugs that were in the original programming. But that HD port was done by the same people who worked on it 8 years ago--they didn't farm it out to some sub-rate shovelware developer.

I hear that the God of War ports are pretty good too.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    GoW ports reverse engineered the discs to ensure consistency. DMC's HD collection is also particulary excellent. They revamped the original game's controls (triangle to jump never felt right!), and I just played through DMC3 without noticing anything wrong other than the lack of loading screen hacking/shooting and the audio looping for a few seconds at the end of a cutscene toward the end of the game; the framerate was rock solid the whole way through, and it really does look better!

I thought the MGR:R demo was supposed to be out days ago. Bummer!

In the meantime, here's an insanely badass S-rank playthrough to watch.

Pwnd
    Every time I play this shit, I see something new.

Pwnd
    "I guess I'm just one of those people who can't enjoy spy flicks"

thatsoursnake.jpg

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    "Then what about a snake shaped gun"

Best Line Ever

Still responds to BLOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    I thought that too until I saw him repping FF13 and MGS4. Then I knew that fucker was just trolling the shit out of everybody, lol.

Also, I noticed today that the Snake Eater title screen in the HD Collection is out of sync (which is apparently old news to the rest of the world). How do you fuck up such a memorable part of the game? The more I play this collection, the more its flaws start to stick out. It's a good thing I didn't get rid of my PS2 copies.

Even at 90% authenticity this HD collection is the best.

I'm sorry Rev but I have to put you down for treason.

Pwnd
    why are you aiming a penis and testicles at rev
    he is one of the good guys

Still responds to BLOO
    Rev is a Patriot.

I am conviced.

So he's going to eat lead from The Boss' Patriot.

That's two different MGS references.

Pwnd
    HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY METAL GEAR SOLID 2 WITHOUT ANY BUGS?!

I CAN'T PLAY THIS SHIT NOW.