Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]

Niche Japanese games and JRPGs- Thread of infinite discovery

Good morning DTOID

This thread is to the purpose of sharing our great love of the unloved Japanese games. Through the power of friendship and fighting love, we shall find our endless purpose in bringing to each other those games whose hearts live on in our memories. The games which make for us to play with great satisfaction and rewarding. The games which perhaps had money not so much for localising or the pretty graphics, but which dared to beyond the impossible in making fun times for us all. Games often invited to us by our good friends Atlus Software and XSEED. Not every Nippon game can achieve a Final Fantasy, but there is room in this house for many wondrous treasures like the Resonance of Fate, Suikoden or Saga Flontier.

In this thread, we shall complete a great games, and proove the many win of the niche games of Japan. And with that, I humbly ask of you to donate games to the thread.

Spoiler!

1) Breath Of Fire 3

I thought I'd start this thread with a solid Capcom classic. BOF3 never got the acclaim of FFVII, nor the popularity of any of Square's PS1 RPGs, but it's developed a proper cult following since the fifth generation, and many hold it up as the best entry in one of Capcom's only RPG franchises. Ask for more info, and I shall gladly tell you of how the game lets you transform into dragons, go fishing, explore an entire world, raise a fairy village, and transform into motherfucking dragons!

2) Legend Of Mana.

Another PS1 RPG, and this one a rather controversial entry into the Mana series. Some love it, some hate it. Me, I love it, perhaps because it was my first Mana game. Incredibly non-linear, full of amazing art and visuals, whimsical fairy tale charm, a plethroa of quests that range from killing monsters to private sleuthing, and topped by one of the best soundtracks ever made. Well worth checking out, and I'll happily talk about it at length.

3) Power Stone.

Another Capcom game, and something of a underappreciated series. Coming out on the Dreamcast in the wake of Smash Bros, the original Power Stone was always doomed to be in Smash's shadow. A genuinely enjoyable party fighter, the first game nonetheless struggled with a mixed critical reception and poor sales. A sequel followed which upped the ante, but the series never reached the level of popularity that Capcom would perhaps have liked for it. My own memories of the game are somewhat hazy, but forum user Everyday Legend is well acquainted with the game and will gladly educate you on some of its stronger elements.

...anyways, so those are my first picks for underloved Japanese games that deserve more attention. Over to you guys. Hit me with them niche gems.

Lolipuss
    So ignore all those shitty games titus posted and GET HYPED FOR CONCEPTION 2 AND LILY BERGAMO, YEAHHHH!!

But seriously Xseed and Atlus and NIS are just the best. Theyre willing to bring over niche games and take risks, and they don't have to have constantly increasing profits to consider something a success. They all try not to censor stuff or refuse to bring it over because of its content, and they all actually listen to their fans. So much respect for all of them and other pubs/devs like them.

Speaking of NIS they just announced tons of new games coming west the other day, Fairy Fencer F strikes my fancy, anime art style, Nobuo and Amano? SOLD! 2014 seems to be year of the niche Japanese game, especially if you have a PS3/Vita

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    Niggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Lolipuss
    Oh man I saw part of a playthrough of that, hilarious game

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Does Fire Emblem count as niche and Japanese? I've been playing some Sacred Stones recently, really good fun. Doesn't deserve the shit it gets by a lot of the fanbase.

Lolipuss
    Id say there shouldn't be any stringent requirements for it. The series really only became very mainstream (imo) with FEA.

I really loved what I played of Fire emblem GBA that had no western subtitle, it was so fun and Lyn was so cool. But my PSP kinda died while I was playing it and I don't want to start all over. Cant get my GBA emulator to run either, but actually maybe itll work on my new pc, hmm....

Slamster
    Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    tsg_marche100
    XBL
    [none]
    Quote Originally Posted by Firion View Post
    shitty games
    Quote Originally Posted by TitusGroan View Post
    Power Stone
    Get out.

Power Stone is the pick-up-and-play fighting game to end all fighting games. Hell, my grandmother picked it up and played it. And I've never seen her play a single other game!

Lolipuss
    I was just teasing titus, powerstones awesome, Ill probably pick up a copy when I get around to getting a dreamcast

Then proceed to play it alone ._.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Steam ID
    Everyday Legend
    PSN
    Everyday_Legend
    XBL
    Everyday Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Marche100 View Post
    Get out.

Power Stone is the pick-up-and-play fighting game to end all fighting games. Hell, my grandmother picked it up and played it. And I've never seen her play a single other game!

Do I really need to elaborate here? That's a testimonial, goddammit.

Slamster
    Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    tsg_marche100
    XBL
    [none]
    Quote Originally Posted by Firion View Post
    I was just teasing titus, powerstones awesome, Ill probably pick up a copy when I get around to getting a dreamcast

Then proceed to play it alone ._.
    You realize there's a Powerstone collection for the PSP?

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday Legend View Post
    Do I really need to elaborate here? That's a testimonial, goddammit.
    I'm not convinced money hasn't changed hands at some point.

[Level 3: Humanoid] WhiteSponge's Avatar
    Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    ohhhh the Mana series

Steam ID
    Nihil Bones
    XBL
    Nihil xInfernum
    Moved for great justice.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Steam ID
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Rule of Rose.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Steam ID
    Luna Sy
    PSN
    LCAS
    OUEEENNNDAAAAAAN!!!

PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    From the same devs and infinitely better thanks to an original soundtrack made for the game instead of just popular songs:

Steam ID
    Luna Sy
    PSN
    LCAS
    I still like the Ouendan/EBA more because of its premise.

Solve every problem by doing a cheer dance routine.

Cheer on ghost dad to help him see his family on Christmas day.

THAW OUT THE FROZEN EARTH by shooting a laser beam made out of the pure hot-blooded energy of every one in the world to destroy the giant meteor that's blocking the sun.

PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Your dog tells you that you are an intergalactic superhero who defeats people by playing guitar. Then a demonic baby jumps out of your TV to kill you with an axe. Dog turns into a boombox, gives you a guitar, and you transform super-sentai style in a guitar playing hero.

Then there's the giant robot reggae stage.

Way cooler than just a cheering squad. Even with the lesser PSP Lives version that butchered the second song by putting in an English vocalist who ignored the melody of the song.

Both are better than American Elite Beat Agents game though. Feel like most of the real quirkiness behind their games got lost in the translation there. Plus the covers were horrible. Completely understandable that they then just put more money into the Ouendan sequel to pay for the original songs and then gear it towards imports instead of trying that again.

Steam ID
    Luna Sy
    PSN
    LCAS
    Them being just a cheering squad is what made the game for me though. I guess I find it funnier to see mundane and ordinary stuff being taken way too seriously or blown way out of proportion.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Steam ID
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Quote Originally Posted by AboveUp View Post
    Both are better than American Elite Beat Agents game though. Feel like most of the real quirkiness behind their games got lost in the translation there. Plus the covers were horrible.