Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gundam Vs Thread

Pwnd

The Gundam Vs Thread

Alright, I want to get a club together of Gundam Vs players from around Dtoid so that we can network in here and set up private lobbies amongst ourselves. Who has the game and wants in, and who is vaguely interested, but has questions?

Don't let me be the only person that posts in here, guys.

Available players:
    Revuhlooshun, PSN: Revuhlooshun
    Kir, PSN: Kir-kiri
    Everyday Legend, PSN: Everyday_Legend

Beginner's resources:
    Intro to Gundam Vs, https://sites.google.com/site/unlimi...n-introduction
    EXVS Vanilla move list, http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/641161-k...-vs/faqs/63453
    NeoGAF OT, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756071

Some words of advice before going in:

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Brett Works Wiki
    Before diving into the world of player vs player matches, just make sure you’re prepared.

This version of the game does not have difficult techniques like stepcancels from Zaft2, or any kind of demanding stick / button techniques. Conversely, movement, neutral game, and suit matchups are exceedingly important. It is not an exaggeration to say that if you actively use your head, you can enjoy the game at a 50% win ratio. [Note: In JP arcades, a 50% win ratio is very formidable]

So for now, beginners should first play aiming to at least get into the 40-50% zone. In other words, if you're playing and keeping in mind that “there’s nothing wrong with playing by trial and error,” you won’t get discouraged or frustrated when playing against other people.

Rather than just thinking “well, I just started playing, and I just ended up getting into it,” if you consciously think “what sort of mindset should I aim to win with?“ you will really enjoy this game in the long term.
    Borrowed from NeoGAF:

Last edited by Revuhlooshun; 04-25-2014 at 01:14 PM.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I'd like to check it out, obviously. Can I get by with extremely limited katakana skills? I'm really not interested in playing with an open FAQ by my side at all times.

Pwnd
    The main menu is all in English, so you can easily navigate into matches. To get deeper into the menus, just use this as a guide:

This is yet another one of those games I wish I had the money to pick up, it looks fun

Pwnd
    The NeoGAF thread is also a great resource.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756071

I'd be pretty tempted to pick this up when I get payed if there was a decent amount of people with it

Pwnd
    If people have the game or are going to commit to playing the game, then leave your PSN name in here and I'll edit it into the first post. The more names we have, the more likely other people will be willing to bite the bullet.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    I have a copy on the way right now from Japan. All those trailers sold me on it. I'm not much of a Gundam fan, but I loved Virtual ON, and this seems like a spiritual successor in a lot of ways. Plus, the team mechanic sounds incredibly interesting.

PSN: Everyday_Legend

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Is there even the slightest chance of getting a localization?

Pwnd
    You have a better chance at growing 8 feet tall tonight.

What is this like Virtual On: Gundam Edition?

PSN:Kir-kiri

Pwnd
    Updated the first post with a preliminary list and some reading materials for beginners, as well as some handy images from NeoGAF.
    Last edited by Revuhlooshun; 04-25-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Honestlythat neogaf thread has to be the best introductory thread for a foreign game (or well any game) I have seen.

Pwnd
    Yeah, it's quite impressive. They have tons of people that play in closed lobbies together, which is what I want to replicate on Dtoid.

Is it better to play with a stick or with a controller? I have no PS3 stick, but I can get one if it's the superior option. If DualShock / Fightpad will work, then I may well just use that.

Pwnd
    The game is perfectly playable on a pad. With that said, things can get a little cramped while trying to boost and cycle between targets. As with any fighting game, a stick is going to be preferable because that's the input method that the game was designed around. But as with any fighting game as well, a pad is more than adequate to play with.

Can you remap controls? Possibly map custom inputs to triggers / shoulders?

Pwnd
    Your triggers are your sub weapon shortcuts. I have no idea if you can remap them. Even then, things will still be a little cramped. You're going to be boost dashing and side stepping almost always, and if you're trying to charge up an attack while also trying to cycle, it's going to require a little bit of stretching on your fingers no matter what the buttons are. To boost dash, charge, and cycle, you'll have to be pressing the d-pad, tapping X, holding down square, and tapping O. You won't always have to do all of that, but there'll be times where your hands will be playing Twister on your controller.

The reason why I ask is because after looking at the diagrams you provided, I want to see if there's a way to remap those face button functions to the shoulders. It would basically eliminate the need for said game of Twister. You ever play Frequency or Amplitude? You could choose to use the shoulder buttons or the face buttons to play, and the shoulder buttons always felt like the smartest option. Same thing with Virtual ON on gamepads - using the 360 controller on the XBLA version is the shit because you can map the Turbos to the shoulders and the weapons to the triggers, keeping the left and right thumbs free to play on their respective sticks. It's the closest you'll get to playing with the twin stick setup on the arcade cabs.

So if you can approximate that by using the shoulder buttons instead, I should get sea legs on this shit in no time at all.