Trailer/Summons

Genre: RPG
    Platform : 3DS
    Release date :
    • EU December 6, 2013
      • AUS December 7, 2013
      • NA February 7, 2014

(will add more screen later)

This game is awesome but it isn't out in the states yet. Decided to make a thread for one of the last traditional rpg. (FF wise) Prob my most anticipated games of 2014 after Bayo2 and InfamousBastardSon.

Pwnd

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Thinking of picking it up soon. Keep meaning to try out the demo.

Only played a little of so far, but I'm not impressed so far. Text is tiny and hard to read. I usually like having the 3D on and this is the first game I really felt a need to turn it off because the effect is used poorly.

As for the combat, so far, it tries its best to rise above the antiquated and only feels more antiquated for all the extra times I have to confirm any actions I take.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Pwnd
    Demo is out now because decisions. Did I mention this was a traditional rpg? Also you only select actions once unless you use Brave Points.

I haven't gotten very far in the demo, and I know a good demo =/= a good final game, but I've enjoyed what I've played so far. I found the combat to be quite fun, especially the Brave/Default system, and though the sidequests are kind of generic, I like that it's separate from the main game. It's not perfect, but once I got past the initial hurdle, I'm having a good time with. I'm going to have to start saving up my pennies for the special edition.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I'm sold after my time with the demo last night. Really excited to keep playing tonight. It is, unfortunately, only making the wait for February harder. I think the Brave/Default system is pretty fun. It took me a little bit to get used to it and start figuring out tactics, but that's half the appeal. I'm also enjoying the job classes and the detail they went in to to make each class outfit for each character look a little different. Little things like that will always catch my attention.

I can definitely see there will be some grinding from time to time, but I'd be lying if I said I found that surprising.

I'm with Pixie. It being traditional hurts it, imo. For every step combat takes forward w/ the brave/default and job system, it takes another step back with shitty archaic menu UI that makes it feel like it's wasting my time. Everything else is generic as fuck.

Thumbs down.

Pwnd
    Go play CoD you pleb.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Welcome to #TheInternet

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Spent some time with the demo and enjoyed it. Looking forward to the release, although I'm worried the same thing will happen that did with Etryian Odyssey IV: I'll be super into it for 30 hours, stop because I got fatigued by the gameplay and then never pick it back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Go play CoD you pleb.
    whateva nerd

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    Welcome to #TheInternet
    Go Play Gears of Wars 3 pleb.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    I'm with Pixie. It being traditional hurts it, imo. For every step combat takes forward w/ the brave/default and job system, it takes another step back with shitty archaic menu UI that makes it feel like it's wasting my time. Everything else is generic as fuck.

Thumbs down.
    Its not so much that its too traditional, but a game like Etrian Odyssey IV/Untold and Fire Emblem: Awakening prove you can be old school as hell, not waste a player's time and move forward with the times.

My problem with the brave/default thing is it rewards grinding over learning. In many of the SMT games, you're rewarded extra turns or attacks for exploiting weaknesses and punished by enemies in the same way if you don't defend your own. Fire Emblem rewards those that know its paper/rock/scissor system and observe enemy and ally placement and punishes when you don't.

Brave and Default let me grind and then get advances on attacks I really didn't earn. Defaulting I'm okay with but why not also reward BP for exploiting weaknesses? Braving can be a risk early on, but it appears eventually you can just abuse the Brave system for most encounters.

We've been able to avoid random encounters as far back as Super Mario RPG. Even as lame as FFXIII was it was with it enough to let you avoid some encounters.

Hell, the first Dragon Quest, the earliest MegaTen and Pokemon games had consumable items that toned down encounter rates. FFVIII, FFIX and FFX let you earn a No Encounter ability.

So why do we need a slider for encounter rates? We have game mechanics that let you earn that.

You can address the issue of the RPG grind by making combat fun and rewarding and by dialing back the menu wank. BD seems to instead want to shoo away Final Fantasy's old ways of being an attention whore by being an attention whore in new ways.

Pwnd
    wut

Attack/select enemy
    next character.
    Default next character
    have brave points press the button the number of times and select whatever the hell you want
    TOO MANY OPTIONS MENU WANK. 0/10!

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    So rather than a simple slider you want to constantly use the same item or skill?

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Go Play Gears of Wars 3 pleb.
    What a wonderful idea!

I played the demo and I like it.

Yes, Bravely Default is not the first time a game gave us a way to avoid random battles. But never has avoiding random battles been as easy as it is in Bravely Default.
    You can avoid random battles in Pokemon but only for a limited number of steps before you need to use another repel. And before you can even get the no encounter ability in FFVIII, you first have to:
    - play the first few parts of the game
    - get the lamp from Cid
    - rub the lamp
    - beat the boss
    - grind till you get the encounter HALF ability
    - then grind AGAIN till you get the no encounter ability
    I appreciate having the option to adjust the encounter rate via slider because whenever I play FF or SMT I always run from all battles anyway till I get to a save point and then grind near the save point. BD lets me do the same strategy with less hassle. No encounters make every dungeon a joke, though. Like, what's the point of even giving a dungeon a complex, maze-like layout if there is no consequence to badly navigating through it?

Gotta agree on the UI problems, though. They should have just placed all the adjust difficulty/encounter rate options at the bottom screen and not have you pause the game and navigate through several menus to get to that screen, especially since you'll be adjusting that slider often. Also, if they let us use the touch screen to press the GO button during battles, why can't we press on the other menu items on the bottom screen using our stylus/finger?

I don't think I've even attempted to use the stylus in the game. the main thing I find strange is how 1 handed controls stops working in some menus, mainly the adventurer/saving guy

I like the slider as well, which I'm surprised hasn't been done before (unless I haven't played a game with that mechanic). Everything about this screams CASUAL, and the slider lends itself to that anyway.

wut

Attack/select enemy
    next character.
    Default next character
    have brave points press the button the number of times and select whatever the hell you want
    TOO MANY OPTIONS MENU WANK. 0/10!
    Where's the option to stuff this grindfest jizz back in SE's dickhole?