Thread: NUCLEAR THRONE (formerly known as Wasteland Kings)

[Level 8: Skynet]

NUCLEAR THRONE (formerly known as Wasteland Kings)

Looks like I'm making another thread for a Vlambeer game. Shame on you all for making me do this.

Nuclear Throne is a top-down shooter with rogue-like elements like random stage layouts and permadeath. It features a cast of fairly unique characters and what looks like a bunch of fun weapons -- typical stuff by Vlambeer's standards.

Also, it looks fun as hell.

Something that makes this game unique is a majority of development is being streamed live at the game's official site, NuclearThrone.com. This includes programing, sprite work and promotional art materials. Neat stuff.

Oh, and you can play it right now on Steam Early Access for $12.99 (PC only, currently).

I'll get this (and Prison Architect) when they launch. I don't have enough time to play games, let alone playtest them.

Got an interview with Rami at Eurogamer, ignore the first fluffed line the rest is coherent.

[Level 12: CHET]
    Very cool video. James <3

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    It is damn fun. Owned since about a week after launch. Not much playtesting to be done, they just seem to be adding more and more content. Perfectly playable and fun as hell right now.

I really should have started this thread when I got it.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Damn. Nobody has this beta? I've been playing the shit out of it.

Juice Box
    I'm waiting for the full game to be released, bu it looks amazing. How would you describe the gameplay?

I'd say binding of Isaac meets hotline miami is a decent mechanic summary

Quote Originally Posted by Jugganot View Post
    I'd say binding of Isaac meets hotline miami is a decent mechanic summary
    Yeah, that's fairly accurate.

I've been playing the Early Access version a lot and was really enjoying myself up until I hit about 100 hours. Now, for whatever reason, every run is starting to feel the same. I think what it needs desperately is some weapon balancing and more enemy variety.

Isaac kept my attention for well over 400 hours (actually creeping up on 500) because of the way items stack on top of each other. Nuclear Throne doesn't really have that same hook. The mutations that you can choose from are fairly limited in their scope. A few examples: increased player health, reduced enemy health, increased player speed, increased ammo capacity. None of these really change the way you play, which leads to every run feeling sort of "same-y".

The game is fun, but I think it's missing a soul right now. Maybe once they get all the parts in place (they just added the final boss a couple weeks ago) they'll go back and start fleshing it out with more variety than just "MORE WEAPONS!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    Yeah, that's fairly accurate.

I've been playing the Early Access version a lot and was really enjoying myself up until I hit about 100 hours. Now, for whatever reason, every run is starting to feel the same. I think what it needs desperately is some weapon balancing and more enemy variety.

Isaac kept my attention for well over 400 hours (actually creeping up on 500) because of the way items stack on top of each other. Nuclear Throne doesn't really have that same hook. The mutations that you can choose from are fairly limited in their scope. A few examples: increased player health, reduced enemy health, increased player speed, increased ammo capacity. None of these really change the way you play, which leads to every run feeling sort of "same-y".

The game is fun, but I think it's missing a soul right now. Maybe once they get all the parts in place (they just added the final boss a couple weeks ago) they'll go back and start fleshing it out with more variety than just "MORE WEAPONS!!"
    Well to be fair Isaac was essentially complete by the time most people played it(patches of course came afterwards) so comparing that to an early access build(assuming you didn't have that for isaac...idk I was late to that train) is somewhat harsh. I have yet to beat this though, it's much more difficult for me than Isaac was after a few deaths. But I love BOI so this game has some pretty big shoes to feel. Have you managed to beat it?

also, what's your steam tag?

Steam tag is: Corduroy Turtle

And nope, haven't beat it yet. I've been to the Palace (the final level) a few times but always die within seconds. It's an incredibly hard game and, I'd say, not always fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    Steam tag is: Corduroy Turtle

And nope, haven't beat it yet. I've been to the Palace (the final level) a few times but always die within seconds. It's an incredibly hard game and, I'd say, not always fair.
    Word, there are probably some balancing issues still. Furthest i've gotten thus far is like 3-2 I believe. Fuckin wasteland cops or whatever they are....so much pain. So fast.

If you see a request from dajugganot or dajugganotbeetch, that's me