Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Join the PC Gaming Arena- for $400.

[Level 3: Humanoid] CarbonRevenge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    What? By this spring AMD will hopefully start rolling out the 8xxx series cards, why would you upgrade to something 2 gens old?
    Cheaper is one of the reasons. I might go for the 7870 though. Not removing that from the possibility of what i'm upgrading to. I'm just set on the 6950 but i'm willing to go up a generation or two higher if I can find it at a fair price.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonRevenge View Post
    Cheaper is one of the reasons. I might go for the 7870 though. Not removing that from the possibility of what i'm upgrading to. I'm just set on the 6950 but i'm willing to go up a generation or two higher if I can find it at a fair price.
    I'm confused, do you live in EU or something? 6950's don't even really exist anymore, and are certainly no cheaper than $200+ for a 2GB model. 2GB 7850 and 7870's are $180-$230 range and come with free games right now, though I don't think they're worth that much for the upgrade over a 6850.

Also I guess AMD has no plans to release any new GPU's until the end of the year though, so boo. I don't think there's going to be anything new from anyone until we start seeing the consoles, so they can show those up.

I'm confused, do you live in EU or something? 6950's don't even really exist anymore, and are certainly no cheaper than $200+ for a 2GB model. 2GB 7850 and 7870's are $180-$230 range and come with free games right now, though I don't think they're worth that much for the upgrade over a 6850.

Also I guess AMD has no plans to release any new GPU's until the end of the year though, so boo. I don't think there's going to be anything new from anyone until we start seeing the consoles, so they can show those up.
    I seems much better for me though if I upgrade because I honestly might be able to get a few more frames than what i'd normally get with my 6850 if I do happen to make a switch. I guess if I do go for a 7870 then things might be better off. Who knows though because right now I might just be looking around before I see if it's worth it.

Unless you think I should just stick with the 6850 for this round of next gen games.

That's not a knife...
    Going from a 6850 to a 6950 or a 7850 doesn't seem like the best way to spend money. Nvidia and AMD have both delayed their new GPU line to Q4 of this year so waiting for new options for a GPU will take a while to be available.

Not sure what I'd do in your situation myself apart from waiting. Currently I have a GPU that is far behind enough that I don't care if a new GPU is on the way if I buy one now.

I guess i'll join the waiting game then if you think it's best to wait till then. If it's not worth dumping cash into it then i'll just wait till Q4 before I spend anything. I'll just have to see how my rig suffices though when it comes to the new round of games for this next gen because if it doesn't do too well then i'll upgrade at the nearest convenience.

But I should be able to max out most anything anyway so it shouldn't be a problem for now.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonRevenge View Post
    I guess i'll join the waiting game then if you think it's best to wait till then. If it's not worth dumping cash into it then i'll just wait till Q4 before I spend anything. I'll just have to see how my rig suffices though when it comes to the new round of games for this next gen because if it doesn't do too well then i'll upgrade at the nearest convenience.

But I should be able to max out most anything anyway so it shouldn't be a problem for now.
    There's nothing that's going to be pushing super high specs anytime soon because of the new consoles, I can assure you of that. If anything PC versions of primarily console developed games might run better, since the new consoles are literally just PC's now.
    Last edited by Wedge; 02-26-2013 at 12:16 PM.

There's nothing that's going to be pushing super high specs anytime soon because of the new consoles, I can assure you of that. If anything PC versions of primarily console developed games just might run better, since the new consoles are literally just PC's now.
    Well that was my main concern on if the next gen games would really be pushing my card to the brink and I kind of don't want this thing to be unable to keep up with the next gen. If it's not worth it now because you're saying not to expect much in terms of high specs in next gen games then I won't take the dive.

That's not a knife...
    Nothing coming from the PS4 is impressive. We've seen tech demos from it mostly and a wise gamer should know by now tech demos don't mean shit unless it's a live in-engine gameplay demo.

I feel my freak out was unwarranted. I might not be too threatened by this next gen. I hope.

I'm not going to worry. Optimization this next generation for PC releases better be good though. If Indie games are better optimized than a AAA release then they have something to strive for because GTA IV is the new low and will be if Rockstar screws up with V.