Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Beaten Ninja Gaiden For NES?

Has Anyone Beaten Ninja Gaiden For NES?

I've been playing this incredibly hard classic Ninja action game pretty regularly on my Wii for a couple months now, and in the last few days it has gotten pretty intense. Who would have expected in January that Ninja Gaiden from around 90 would be one of their most played games of 07, but that has been the case for me.

About a week ago, after playing it for a couple hours approximately every week since the early summer (and saving my instance derrr) I finally got to the boss at the end of 6-4 (which I'm pretty sure is the last one.) Of course, I lost, and had to go to the start of "Act 6" which breaks my heart. Well, the other day I got a phone call while I was playing and in the run of it mistakenly reset the game. So it was back to the start. Today, filled with determination, I managed to play all the way through to the final level in a good three or four hour stretch, but was beaten by the final boss repeatedly.

Now I'm asking for someone who has beaten it to tell me the story, and perhaps give me some tips on this near-impossible game. It appears to me now that certain powerups let you hit the orb that is controlling your dad really quickly at the start before those little dots that attack you get too numerous. I'm about to go get a notebook and memorize what items hold the ammo so I know which ones to go out of my way to get on my next run through world six...

If I can't beat this game soon, it's going to consume my life.

Follow-up question: have you ever played a game harder than Ninja Gaiden?

King Internets
    PSN
    PoopfaceMorty
    I have, and it ain't easy.

MASSIVE spoiler which would be hilarious if you didn't know: The Orb Controlling Ryu's Dad is not the final boss of the game, nor is the next one after that. Hopefully you have already found this out, otherwise I may have crushed your hopes if you're already having trouble.

Clearing those levels can be a bitch. I personally find the 6-2 area is harder than 6-3 (mainly the room with the jumps and you always get nailed by a falcon or those running troops), and getting that down pat is important. My strategy has always been to just keep moving at all times, as I've found that there are few spots where I need to pause and wait, I just haul ass; there's one part on a platform in 6-3 where I hold up for one of those frickin' doves that comes out of the bottom of the screen.

The bosses, sorry to say, take practice. The first one is easy, especially if you have the diagonal fire wheel thing. If there are too many fireballs, I think you can climb all the way to one side and avoid them all as they collect in one spot, allowing you to safely jump off the side and attack. Jaquio has a very predictable pattern and is very simple to defeat, and you definitely want to avoid too much damage. Jashin is a pain in the ass...just don't let his head touch you as it comes crashing down, and be patient as all the little sperm things that fly from his back rain on you when you go after the heart. It's hard, but it's possible.

To answer the follow-up question...yes, though not many. Ikaruga on Hard mode (no inf. continues). F-Zero GX's story mode, Very Hard difficulty. *salty old man voice* Suck it up though, this is how games used to be back in the day. Ninja Gaiden 2, which in my opinion is better than the first one, is also really hard, especially the bosses at the end. Anybody else think Ashtar was a totally underutilzed villain in that game?

I didn't know that, but it's probably better to find out now than when I'm doing my victory dance.

Thanks. How about the boomerang-ish ninja star, does that work too?

King Internets
    PSN
    PoopfaceMorty
    Quote Originally Posted by dprime
    I didn't know that, but it's probably better to find out now than when I'm doing my victory dance.

Thanks. How about the boomerang-ish ninja star, does that work too?
    eh, it works, but not anywhere near as effective as the fire ring dealy, considering all the bosses impact points are above and away from Ryu. I think there's a fire wheel right before the doorway to the final boss (or maybe a boomerang-star, or both), but approximately 9000 enemies attempt to rape you at once there, so just boogie to the door and hope you have a fire wheel, as it helps bit time.

Again, though, practice practice practice. Yeah, I know the whole starting at 6-1 if you die once at a boss doesn't help. I miss how mean games used to be.

I was thinking the boomerang-like throwing star would work because of those platforms beside the orb?

Also can the guy himself take damage?

King Internets
    PSN
    PoopfaceMorty
    I was thinking the boomerang-like throwing star would work because of those platforms beside the orb?

Also can the guy himself take damage?
    Nope, he won't take damage. I learned that the hard way about 17 years ago when I first played this game, lol (not watching cutscenes FTL).

The boomerang will work there, but think long term for the bosses afterwards. The second boss it's virtually useless, but the third boss is pretty helpful towards the end now that I think about it.

I agree that 6-2 is (by far) harder than 6-3. I usually rush too. The thing is, you can only rush after you have enough knowledge of the level to be able to rush and time everything perfectly as well; which took me a while to get.

The platform part in the middle of 6-2 (I think the second last "screen" or "section" or whatever) is fucking obscene. I'm pretty sure that it's literally physically impossible not to get hit at the part of that where a conserative estimation of a gazillion guys attack you. I don't know how I manage to do it, but every twenieth or so time I play it I happen to get by.

In Ikagrua, do you have to go to the start of the game again when you get a gameover? I would have beaten Starfox 64 in one day if it weren't for that; not exactly a famously hard game, but barely losing to that robot monkey boss and having to play through the game again... twice. Well, that still hurt.

King Internets
    PSN
    PoopfaceMorty
    In Ikagrua, do you have to go to the start of the game again when you get a gameover? I would have beaten Starfox 64 in one day if it weren't for that; not exactly a famously hard game, but barely losing to that robot monkey boss and having to play through the game again... twice. Well, that still hurt.
    Yes it does, until you play enough times to unlock infinite continues.

Oh yeah, the Metal Slug games, Metal Slug 3 in particular (especially the last level) put Ninja Gaiden to shame.

Play enough, or beat enough? If it's the second, that's kinda pointless.

How can any game put Ninja Gaiden "to shame"? Honestly, is MS3 even possible to play?

King Internets
    PSN
    PoopfaceMorty
    Just to play enough. I think it gives you an extra continue for every hour of play, until you get 9 continues, then it's unlimited after that. The default is 3.

Metal Slug 3 is really goddamn hard, probably the hardest game I've ever played (if you play within the limits of continues, rather than the option for unlimited continues in the Wii version). The last level alone is longer than the rest of the game, as far as I can tell.

Bye-bye, we love you.
    Steam ID
    MrMxyzptlk123
    Nintendo ID
    MrMxyzptlk123
    PSN
    MrMxyzptlk123
    XBL
    MrMxyzptlk123
    My brother is the only person I've met IRL who has ever beaten Ninja Gaiden on an NES. I hate him and his skills so much. Best I ever did was get to the second stage final boss.

Wolf Master
    XBL
    Dexter345
    I never actually played Ninja Gaiden. But I can say that the hardest game I've played in recent history was R-Type for the Turbo-Grafx 16. My roommate and I worked on that for literally months, and were never able to beat it. We got super good at the first few levels, sometimes making it to the sixth or seventh level without dying, but we never made it past the seventh (of eight) levels.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    Ninja Gaiden. One of my all time favorite NES games. Played and beat this game many times. Jump and Slash is your friend. One hit takedown on the "final" boss. Used to be, if you had Jump and Slash, and held down when you jumped, JaS wouldn't activate. Don't know if it will translate over to the VC, though. Give it a try.

There was an SNES game called Lagoon. The game itself wasn't too hard, but the final boss was the hardest I ever fought. It took three calls to the Nintendo Game Counselor line before I was able to beat it.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Steam ID
    garrfunkel
    PSN
    garrfunkel
    XBL
    garrfunkel
    I had this game for the master system years ago. Played it endlessly but i doubt i ever came even close to beating it. Never got sick of playing it though.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    As far as difficulty goes, I think Ninja Gaiden is a little overrated.

Now I'm not saying it isn't hard game, because it certainly is. But I no longer have issues beating it because I've mastered the utilization of certain weapons during certain parts of the game, and I'm always aware near any areas where enemies (especially the hawks) respawn around a pit.

It's a game that requires lots of practice and an exceptional memory.

King Internets
    PSN
    PoopfaceMorty
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell
    As far as difficulty goes, I think Ninja Gaiden is a little overrated.

Now I'm not saying it isn't hard game, because it certainly is. But I no longer have issues beating it because I've mastered the utilization of certain weapons during certain parts of the game, and I'm always aware near any areas where enemies (especially the hawks) respawn around a pit.

It's a game that requires lots of practice and an exceptional memory.
    Erm, isn't that what makes it difficult? Implying that a lot of practice is necessary would lead me to believe that the chances of clearing it early are very rare...thus, difficult.

I think it's usually the go-to canned answer for people to acknowledge what is a difficult game, no arguments there, but saying that it's overrated in the difficulty department is a bit unfair.

Like I said, I consider Ninja Gaiden to be a difficult game. But is it one of the hardest games on the NES? Not even close.

The game itself is just something to get used to. The obstacles throughout it are easily overcome granted you sit down and practice a few times over.

I managed to get to Jaquio. I didn't know that after you beat your dad, you don't have to beat him again to get to Jaquio when you beat world six again. I still haven't done him over yet, though. I'm using that fire ball thing, but half of them miss and I can't get enough ammo to take him out with it. I'm working on it, though.

King Internets
    PSN
    PoopfaceMorty
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell
    Like I said, I consider Ninja Gaiden to be a difficult game. But is it one of the hardest games on the NES? Not even close.

The game itself is just something to get used to. The obstacles throughout it are easily overcome granted you sit down and practice a few times over.
    I'm not disagreeing that there aren't harder games (the first TMNT and Battletoads are two I consider harder). I'm just saying difficult is difficult. And that pattern memorization was pretty much the way to overcome challenges in almost all games back in the day, so I don't see how that second part is any different for any other game.

What are some games you consider more difficult than this on the NES?

Well, there are games like Silver Surfer and Star Force which are notorious for their bad game design....

-Mission Impossible for it's inability to tell you where to go.
    -Metal Gear for being outright terrible without a walkthrough of sorts.
    -Back to the Future 2/3 for it's Godawful controls
    -Ghosts and Goblins for it's difficulty passed the 2nd level and the fact that you have to play it twice over to beat it.
    -Battletoads, obviously
    -Wizards and Warriors for it's relentless enemy spawnage.
    -SmashTV for being fucking crazy near the end, not to mention if you don't beat it with enough keys you don't technically beat it.
    -Bart Vs. The Space Mutants for it's abysmal, abysmal controls.
    -Solar Jetman for taking forever to master.
    -The Adventures of LoLo 1 and 3. The first one was insane, and the third one made up for two's leniency.

Honestly, those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure I could name plenty more.