Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my computer blew up

[Level 5: Mech]

my computer blew up

hey, remember me? I'm the guy that now has no gaming computer, because IT FUCKING BLEW UP!

so here I was playing Far Cry 3 and everything was fine until the screen went blank and I heard a sound like firecrackers going off inside of my computer and saw fucking SPARKS flying out

I almost had a fucking heart attack, I could not believe my eyes and I was afraid the damn house was gonna catch on fire (thank God that didn't happen at least), I've heard of this happening before but I NEVER would have imagined it would happen to me

I've unplugged the thing and put it in my garage, just to be safe

so my question is, why the fuck did this happen? I bought this computer from ibuypower instead of Alienware because everyone and their grandma told me to (a decision I am deeply regretting now) and earlier in the year I bought a new graphics card, one that I was told would work fine

well everything was fine for the most part until I noticed on some games it would shut off, just totally click off, I brought it to this guy in a shop and he said he might have fixed it, now the fucking thing has blown up

I can only assume that ibuypower fucked something up when building it, I wont be using them again, I can tell you

this is my reaction to this whole mess http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT49R...eature=g-all-u

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    WHAT?? I never heard of that happening before? Did your computer make a lot of noise when playing games?
    What is the Graphics Card you have? You did buy it after having that computer right? It might be related to some compability issue with the power supply.

Can you provide more info about the specs of your computer?

http://forum.destructoid.com/showthr...-graphics-card

You can find all the stuff about his rig on here. That thread is also the reason why I didn't bother with this one but if someone else wants to try and help this guy then go ahead, I'm sure you'll learn a lot about yourself and how much you can take.

But, as a guess and that's all I'm going to spare my time to give I bet a connector has came loose. What the damage is I just don't know unless I had the motherboard in my hands.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Good lord, I can't believe what I just read, you have mighty pacience, and he is too impacient and desperate.

It was probably the graphics card that was not installed correctly, that's why the games were crashing, or it could be faulty ram, or the ram slot might be screwed (my motherboard has this problem).

It's probably the problem the computer had, the fact that he continued to try and play after it crashed so frigging much is not good.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I just googled your power supply and found stories of peoples power supplys blowing up their systems. Most of the people had bought systems from ibuypower. You might be lucky and your computer could be okay but you won't know this until you try a new power supply (assuming that's the problem of course).

Quote Originally Posted by noobspoon View Post
    I just googled your power supply and found stories of peoples power supplys blowing up their systems. Most of the people had bought systems from ibuypower. You might be lucky and your computer could be okay but you won't know this until you try a new power supply (assuming that's the problem of course).
    I personally think ibuypower fucked something up and I regret using them

I'm just gonna take the fall and buy a new computer, I don't want to spend the money trying to get the old one repaired only to risk having this happen again, I'd rather spend more money on a better computer that's not gonna risk blowing up, it sucks, but shit happens

You should build it yourself, that way you know it's high quality parts and if one part fails you don't have to RMA the whole thing.

KING OF BAD FORUMS
    And it'd be a total waste if it's just one part failing and you pay for a whole new PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    And it'd be a total waste if it's just one part failing and you pay for a whole new PC.
    but see, I don't know if it's one part or what, I actually did bring it to a guy in a shop a few months back and he pretty much had no idea what was wrong

Chances are if your power supply blew then the whole thing is fried. I'd keep the graphics card anyway and see if that works when you get your new pc. It wouldn't be such a tragedy then since upgrading everything else will will give you better performance whilst using the samed GPU in CPU intensive games.

KING OF BAD FORUMS
    Can you get a hold of another power supply just to try it out and see if that's the issue?

To be honest he'll need a whole load of parts to make sure he diagnoses it right, if the PSU isn't gone it still won't work because another part is damaged i suppose.

Holy mother of God. Thread of the day indeed. That(thread that Hatman linked) was a delicious read. I was just going to assume his PC overheated but from the pictures I can tell the videocard was never properly seated and was likely the culprit.

Also, "everyone and their grandma" told him to go with IBuyPower? I could have told him better. Just because Alienware is overpriced bullshit doesn't mean you go with the second most overpriced bullshit. Now he thinks building a PC is hard and will continue living with that myth and likely spread it to everyone he knows.

Next time, buy the parts yourself and put it together yourself. I've never built a PC in my life and was able to do it after watching a few YouTube videos. For example, I link these to anyone who's trying to get into PC gaming, they're so handy:

Wolf Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammstein View Post
    Holy mother of God. Thread of the day indeed.
    Aw, and here I thought nobody ever actually clicked on that link.

Also this. Open in new tab for larger image.

A better solution that all of these above would be to buy a Dreamcast instead

Next time purchase a real computer. I use a ASUS laptop Republic of Gamer and it's working like a charm. I can play Skyrim without have any lags or overheat.

Next time purchase a real computer for gaming :P I use an ASUS laptop Republic of Gamer and so far it's working like a charm, I can play Skyrim without having any lags or overheat.

Pretty sure the computer he had was more powerful that said laptop but that isn't the point here, hardware failure is hardware failure, it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdan594 View Post
    A better solution that all of these above would be to buy a Dreamcast instead
    He should have got a console, that's for sure. Not an Xbox though.