Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Norwegian person seeking approval

Norwegian person seeking approval

Good day!

Ive been lurking around these parts the last year or so, enjoying random articles, reviews, shows, and Jim Sterlings sense of humor and literary witchcraftery (comment section of the Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise review was mindblowing). So having just finished all my exams for the semester, I thought it would be nice to check out the msg.board. I've been to other forums before (skating+norwegian gaming site), but nothing comes close to the size of this one. So I'm exited and intrigued.

About me:

I'm 25 years old, born and raised in Oslo Norway. Ive been playing video and computer games for as long as I can remember. Some of my first game memories were playing Monkey Island on my fathers PC and The Legend of Zelda on my sisters NES. When I had finally earned enough money for a SNES (took me 9 months or so) and a copy of Super Mario World, I was hooked. From that day I've considered myself to be a gamer. I can thank gaming for my relatively affluent English, from having to read imported gaming magazines in order to keep up on the scene. I've been to Nintendo shows (where I once won a Lamar 1080 Snowboarding snowboard, wee), mid-night releases and LAN-parties.

Some of my all time favourite games are (except Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Metroid, FF, MGS, RE games etc. that most gamers love):

Day of the Tentacle
    Shenmue
    The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    The Longest Journey
    Power Stone
    Shadow of Memories (Shadow of Destiny in North America)
    Broken Sword I&II
    Skies of Arcadia
    Blade Runner
    Grandia 2
    Winback (Guilty pleasure for sure. Not a good game in general, but I was looking forward to it for so long I guess it clouded my judgement. Good boss battles though)
    Chrono Trigger
    Super Castelvania IV
    Phantasy Star Online
    Okami
    Mystical Ninja
    Shadow of the Colossus
    The Walking Dead

As you can probably tell by the games I listed, I'm a huge Dreamcast fan, and I still believe its has the best game library to date considering its short life cycle.

In my spare time I like to play music. Ive got a couple of guitars, a banjo, an ukelele, a mandolin, a keyboard and a violin. I've been playing with various bands the last couple of years. Now I'm working on starting a new band, drawing influence from old Modest Mouse and Built to Spill, but perhaps a bit more up-beat and fresh.

I used to be a pretty good skater. Travelled around Europe and the US. Now Im too swamped and lazy to hit the streets, and spend most of my time at school or at home with my girlfriend, our two dogs and my cat, playing videogames. She's a gamer as well, but she's more of a nintendo gamer (Fake Nerd Girl zomgwtfbbq). She also has 200+ hours in Skyrim, and we play games such as RE5+6 and LFD2 together.

I hope I'm welcome here, and feel free to ask me any questions!
    Last edited by UglyCasanova; 12-03-2012 at 02:40 PM.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Welcome! That's quite an intro you made, And you have good taste in games, many of which I still have to/want to play

And we got ourselves another musician on the forum, that's quite a lot already

Welcome! From what I've heard Blade Runner is pretty awesome, still need to play it myself. You a fan of Snatcher at all?

Thank you both! I was assuming there would be other musicians on the board. In my previous band 5 out of 6 members played video/computer games. Maybe there's a connection...

Panzadolphin: Blade Runner was my favourite movie as a kid, and I played through the game several times in a row when I first got my hands on it. Think I got 7 or 8 of the 13 endings. I found the discs when I was visiting my parents a few months back, but I couldn't seem to get it to work on my new computer. I need a laptop to bring to school, so I'm currently on a ASUS ROG g55vw. It runs most new games on max settings, and I got it fairly cheap. Problem is, it won't run my all time favourite games. I'm not much of a computer wizz, but I'm guessing I could run them still somehow.

Haven't tried Snatcher I'm affraid, but I'm a kojima fan. Looked sort of Blade Runnerish from a few gameplay videos I just saw. A woman in the start of the game mentioned a robot called "Metal Gear". Does it has anything to do with that franchise, or is it just that Hideo used in both games?

How could a gamer be a musician and not find a lot like about Legend of the Mystical Ninja, or Castlevania IV for that matter? Nice to meet another musician here..

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Blade Runner is an awesome game, I probably had the same experience as you. I must get that back from my parents house.

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyCasanova View Post
    Thank you both! I was assuming there would be other musicians on the board. In my previous band 5 out of 6 members played video/computer games. Maybe there's a connection...

Panzadolphin: Blade Runner was my favourite movie as a kid, and I played through the game several times in a row when I first got my hands on it. Think I got 7 or 8 of the 13 endings. I found the discs when I was visiting my parents a few months back, but I couldn't seem to get it to work on my new computer. I need a laptop to bring to school, so I'm currently on a ASUS ROG g55vw. It runs most new games on max settings, and I got it fairly cheap. Problem is, it won't run my all time favourite games. I'm not much of a computer wizz, but I'm guessing I could run them still somehow.

Haven't tried Snatcher I'm affraid, but I'm a kojima fan. Looked sort of Blade Runnerish from a few gameplay videos I just saw. A woman in the start of the game mentioned a robot called "Metal Gear". Does it has anything to do with that franchise, or is it just that Hideo used in both games?
    Good stuff! Blade Runner's one of those games that I've been hearing about for ages but haven't really found the time to play, which I really need to do at some point!

Well, there's a Metal Gear in Snatcher, it's just not one the size of a house; you get a robot assistant for the length of the game and he/she/whatever happens to resemble (albeit on a smaller scale) and be called Metal Gear - one of Kojima's little jokes.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Nicely done on the intro. When you did skate, what board did you use?

I was into the fatty birdhouse boards, but that was many moons ago.

From 2002-2007 or so, then I started inline skating instead (easier you know, ha!). I changed boards a lot, but I always had a Girl board with Independent trucks and Pig wheels laying around. That was probably my favourite kind of setup. In the last year I skated my trucks pretty tight, because I had grown tired of tricks and enjoyed downhill more

Frodo Bangins
    I just saw Day of the Tentacle and that made me happy. Welcome to the forums.

Hei! Hvordan har du deg i dag? Velkomme!

Frodo Bangins
    also I had a foreign exchange student from norway stay with my family. she was cute... but way too christian for me to even talk to. you have good cheese and chocolate though so thats good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderwang View Post
    Hei! Hvordan har du deg i dag? Velkomme!
    Close but no cigar. Im good though! And thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gobbldigook View Post
    also I had a foreign exchange student from norway stay with my family. she was cute... but way too christian for me to even talk to. you have good cheese and chocolate though so thats good.
    You were just unlucky buddy. I think I've known three people who were fundamental christians. Earlier this year state and church separated in Norway. Parliament informed the public that they are going to abolish the state church when the new constitutional amendments were passed in May. I'm more of a Norse Mythology person myself. Hail Thor!

And Jarlsberg cheese and Freia milkchocolate are indeed awesome!

Frodo Bangins
    mmmmmm

[Level 5: Mech]
    A fellow Scandinavian I see. My parents are both immigrants, dad is Swedish mother is Norwegian. They were big on speaking English in the US though so I don't know much of either.

It's funny you mention Thor though because ever since...well...anyone figured out where my last name comes from and that my parents are immigrants they insist on calling me Thor.

Faen i helvete.

Also hi, and welcome, fellow viking.*

*Meant ironically, since neither you nor I are, have been, or ever will be vikings, and come to think of it, the identification with vikings due to distant ancestry as a way of enforcing that we were once total badasses is nothing short of pathetic and a really nationalistic idea, and that is not mentioning that vikings actually were a bunch of dicks who stole, raped and killed everything foreign they came across.

And I also happen to love Shadow of the Colossus.

Pwnd
    Welcome! Can't think of anything interesting to say at the moment but here's a picture I think you'll like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage of Excellence View Post
    *Meant ironically, since neither you nor I are, have been, or ever will be vikings, and come to think of it, the identification with vikings due to distant ancestry as a way of enforcing that we were once total badasses is nothing short of pathetic and a really nationalistic idea, and that is not mentioning that vikings actually were a bunch of dicks who stole, raped and killed everything foreign they came across.
    Hear hear!

What's your last name Konnery? Might mean something cool.

Just been looking through 407 pages in the "random pictures thread". So tired!

[Level 5: Mech]
    Last name is Engwall. Don't know if it means anything in Swedish but apparently it means tiny wall in German.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage of Excellence View Post
    Also hi, and welcome, fellow viking.*

And I also happen to love Shadow of the Colossus.
    Always found it interesting how they went from this historically violent culture to the social democracy deal they have going on these days. Interesting progression.

Pwnd
    Oh! I thought of something interesting to say. My mom's side of the family comes from Norway. Grandma's maiden name is Hellebust, and her mother before her was Vassenden. It's a bit more difficult to trace the males of course. You know, with the rapes and all.