Thread: PS3 FNF: November 16th

[Level 7: Sentinel]

PS3 FNF: November 16th

Welcome to the weekly Friday Night Fights planning thread. If you aren't familiar with Friday Night Fights, it's a Destructoid community event where members get together online each Friday to play games. This is where we make up the schedule. The final list will appear on the the PS3 FNF community blog and Destructoid front page on Friday. There is no approval process for players or hosts and everyone is welcome. If you want in, just read the instructions below and drop your info.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev, Czar of the Friday Night Fights
    To play:
    • Keep yourself up to date on the schedule. The list here can change several times throughout the week.

• Leave a message here with your PSN name and which games from the schedule you want to play. More people will play if other people are playing, so speak up.

• Send a PSN friend request to the person hosting the game which includes a message with your Dtoid name. If you leave out who you are on the site, they might think you're just a random friend request and ignore you.

To host:
    • If you want your game listed on the schedule, we need the game, the time, and your PSN ID. We need the specific game, not an abbreviation that applies to more than one; a start time, even if you're playing "all night"; and we need your PSN ID even if you think we know it already. If there is anything else, like lobby names, DLC requirements, or passwords, note that as well.

• Don't worry about hosting the same game or hosting a game at the same time as someone else. Instead, think of it like a movie theater; more than one game can run at the same time.

• Make sure you have at least an hour to play. That's only two or three matches of the average shooter and those go by pretty quick.

• Check the comments, both here and on the blog when it goes up on Friday, to see if someone has said they'll play. You might have missed their PSN message or your friend list might be full.

All times Eastern.

Game: Payday: The Heist
    Time: 9:30pm
    Host: CornflakeJustice
    PSN: cornflakejustice

Game: Dark Souls
    Time: 11pm
    Host: Trev
    PSN: ElZilcho
    DARKSOULS!!
    Last edited by Trev; 11-16-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Is your clan really SOUP?
    So I got Armored Kill and Dark Souls, and I will have Blops2.

All of the games Friday? ALL OF THE GAMES.

Did you also see the Payday ultimate secret thing? I can't post or search for it because I'm at work, and the youtubes are frowned upon, but that looked INSANE.

As for what games to play, I don't know if I can host yet, but my car is fixed. Apparently the left axle was spewing grease onto the alternator, and it eventually shorted. GOOD TIMES. Also, $750 gone 8,(

And here I was just thinking about starting a new Dark Souls character, which is a thing I almost never do. Yep. Hardly ever think about that. I certainly haven't already planned out this or this, so I'll just have to get something thrown together to be in your level range for co-op.

That Payday thing is crazy, but it's not worth two hours of playtime. You need to have maxed out your level to get there, and then you get a bunch of money that does nothing for you. I'm not even interested in trying it. I'd rather just play the game and have fun.

Personally, I'm waiting on BLOPS2 for the inevitable game-breaking bugs to be patched out. I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard about how the game just doesn't work most of the time on PS3 yet. If it's working, though, I might consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    And here I was just thinking about starting a new Dark Souls character, which is a thing I almost never do. Yep. Hardly ever think about that. I certainly haven't already planned out this or this, so I'll just have to get something thrown together to be in your level range for co-op.
    Since I haven't started playing it yet, what should I do? Should I have a new character started? Or should I wait for when one of you inevitably coaches me until I understand?

And the only saving grace for the Payday thing (to me) is that the devs will give you something extra, that's all. I wouldn't spend 2 hours on it either.

Quote Originally Posted by KymikoLoco View Post
    Since I haven't started playing it yet, what should I do? Should I have a new character started? Or should I wait for when one of you inevitably coaches me until I understand?

And the only saving grace for the Payday thing (to me) is that the devs will give you something extra, that's all. I wouldn't spend 2 hours on it either.
    Play as much as you like. We can't coop until after the Taurus Demon and meeting Solaire and you will know where that us when you get there. I am confident in my ability to catch up as needed if you get farther.

Update: I started a new character tonight so it would be ready. I'm level 19 now so if you can get to anything 10+ we'll be set. If you want to play some Payday or whatever and talk Dark Souls, I'm down.

Update-update: I'm also going to farm the shit out of upgrade materials. The only thing better than a co-opping sunbro is a totally OP co-opping sunbro.
    Last edited by Trev; 11-12-2012 at 07:44 PM.

I'll try to force myself to play some Dark Souls today, but GODDAMN do I want to watch Frank Woods talk some more.

There was also a tournament at the GameStop playing BlackOps 2 last night, but I figured no 12 year old [with their mothers] needed to hear me yell and curse at 3 other people when I died and eventually won.

[Level 6: Robot]
    My Friday night just went weird so I may or may not be around this week pending further investigation of my schedule, though it looks a bit more than usual like I won't be around.

Well, I was thinking about it, then this happened.

I guess I'll be waiting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ya, I wouldn't get it this week. I was having some MAJOR lag issues, in the 3 games I got to play last night. It also locked up my PS3 when I was checking some person's combat record out, so there's that.

It's a super fun game so far, but if you don't want to be turned off by the lag, I can tell you when it gets better lol.

As for Dark Souls, I played last night, I logged off while playing because I didn't have the latest patch (which would have taken 50 minutes to download, thanks PSN), but I think I'm only level 2? I don't know. I'm scared to look at the menu for too long. And the book is the worst thing to look at ever. Black text on a dark grey background? SURELY THEY CAN READ IT. But, I was super tired last night, and I don't have the controls down yet, so I'll try to get to the Taurus demon before Friday.... and download the patch.

I'd appreciate a note about when Fishy poops gets fixed too. The zombie mode is apparently really neat and for some reason I have a deep hankering to play a new game. Maybe it's finally time to sack up and play Dead Space?

The thing about Dark Souls is that it starts out hard, and it gets harder, but eventually you sort of just get it and it works. Up until you get invaded and some assbag lagstabs you. But that's what Zilcho and Clockwork are for. Oh and the Artorias DLC is pretty spiffy. Which reminds me, according to my brother we should do the DLC before we fight Sif because the cutscene is cooler or somesuch thing?

The patch contains all of the DLC stuff (for online compatibility) and you buy the unlock key for it. You'll need to gain about 10 levels to co-op with me, but they go pretty fast early on. Don't be afraid to kill enemies over again if it means going back to the bonfire and leveling up.

You are generally safe in bonfire areas, so you can look at the menus all you like and select (I think) on your character/weapon/armor screens lets you move a selector around for more information. Pay attention to the button guide at the bottom and it will tell you when you can change to different views for your stats and equipment using square or triangle. Square cycles through item information while triangle cycles through character stuff. The menus aren't the best, but they also need to manage a lot of stuff.

If you don't like the manual, you can check out the wikis. The general information sections should help, just don't spoil the game for yourself.
    http://darksouls.wikidot.com/
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

P.S. I told you about bridges bro. I TOLD YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by CornflakeJustice View Post
    according to my brother we should do the DLC before we fight Sif because the cutscene is cooler or somesuch thing?
    Yeah. I usually save Sif until I'm tired of farming darkwraiths because I don't want to deal with dickstab forest invaders and then he is easy to fight solo if necessary.

What do you guys do in Dark Souls? I haven't played in a while, but I'm always up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What do you guys do in Dark Souls? I haven't played in a while, but I'm always up for it.
    We tend to keep our characters at the same point progression wise and co-op our way through while goofing off.

That might change once we're at a PvP level, but PvP in Dark Souls is just sort of broken. For every interesting fight, you'll run into a dozen zweiflipping giantdads or dark bead spammers.
    Last edited by Trev; 11-16-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Argh. I'm still a little torn, go out with girl or stay in with videogames. We are going out tomorrow night so maybe tonight I'll stay in. That's not unreasonable is it? Stay home marathon Dark Souls for awhile, get some of those levels n'shit.

I'll host Payday, when do we want to play it? 930 or 10 start time?

Quote Originally Posted by CornflakeJustice View Post
    Argh. I'm still a little torn, go out with girl or stay in with videogames. We are going out tomorrow night so maybe tonight I'll stay in. That's not unreasonable is it? Stay home marathon Dark Souls for awhile, get some of those levels n'shit.

I'll host Payday, when do we want to play it? 930 or 10 start time?
    Let's say 9:30.

Okay then!

Fuck, I wish I could play today. Probably won't. Busy week.

I've been a terrible person, and haven't played any more of Dark Souls, because you can hear your victim's screams of hatred when you kill them in BLOPS2 for a couple seconds. It is sweet, glorious, unadulterated hate spewing from them.

I love it so much.

I'll try to play to lvl 10 before 11pm, but I don't know how late I have to work tonight.

Edit:
    Nevermind, working late. Doubtful I can join. Have fun without me
    Last edited by KymikoLoco; 11-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.