Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Linux -- Who Dares Use It?

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I use Ubuntu on my laptop. I use it mostly for writing, but I do play some games on it. Now that Steam is out on there it's actually pretty fucking sweet the games I can play.

Just the fact that FTL runs is enough game for me.

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoFT013 View Post
    Ubuntu 12.10. Very functional, smooth, and so pretty. I know a lot of Linux power users despise Ubuntu and the Unity shell, but I like it.
    Once you dealt with Gentoo (hahahaha) or ArchLinux, we'll talk.

So, who here uses Linux?
    I do. In a virtual machine. Until X11 goes the way of the Dodo, I won't let something with craptastic multi-monitor support onto my harddrive (exception: Xubuntu via wubi). Using it in a VM also absolves me of installing Microsoft's codecs so I can do funky stuff like listen to music or watch videos.

If I want to deal with the braindamage that is GCC, I can use MinGW. If I want Unix braindamage, all it takes is installing Cygwin, or, if I feel particularly masochistic, MSYS. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by SchildConstruct View Post
    Once you dealt with Gentoo (hahahaha) or ArchLinux, we'll talk.!
    Why don't you talk to me now?

That's not a knife...
    Holy shit it's Schildconstruct.

He knows stuff and things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post

Does he, now? This is good news, everyone!

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post
    Hatman!

More'n you, anyways. :P

[Level 6: Robot]
    Ubuntu Phone OS that is all...

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by noobspoon View Post
    Ubuntu Phone OS that is all...
    Canoncial's last effort (Ubuntu for Android) died. And it actually had phones.

I mean, how's Ubuntu on Phone any different from Openmoko, Maemo, or MeeGo?

I've seen some pics of Ubuntu for Android and it looks pretty sweet. Is that something that can still be somewhat implemented? I mean, droid is based on Linux so if my phone is rooted it should be possible to find the right stuff to install...

It has nothing to do with android, it replaces the android OS. But if you have an android phone you can install Ubuntu phone OS as long as you have the android drivers for the phones hardware available to you.

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Derocher View Post
    I've seen some pics of Ubuntu for Android and it looks pretty sweet. Is that something that can still be somewhat implemented?
    Canonical is, apparently, not going to can Ubuntu on Android.

I mean, droid is based on Linux so if my phone is rooted it should be possible to find the right stuff to install...
    *If* the hardware and userland is supported. While Android uses the Linux kernel, its userland is rather different. You could install the busybox tools, but those are not guarannteed to be compatible with the GNU binutils that a "proper" Linux distribution uses.

Then there's Google's (kinda-sorta) Java VM that runs all those shiny apps on Android.

Quote Originally Posted by noobspoon View Post
    It has nothing to do with android, it replaces the android OS. But if you have an android phone you can install Ubuntu phone OS as long as you have the android drivers for the phones hardware available to you.
    That latter part is the kick in the teeth: Almost all phone hardware is *highly* proprietary, due to patents, and drivers have to necessarily disclose APIs and/or ABI. While the Linux kernel can load BLOB drivers, the kernel is then tainted, and unreliable.

Mind you, "replacing Android OS" can just mean "different userland", since Android is based off the vanilla Linux (which is, technically, merely the kernel; hence the term "Linux distribution": so you got something you can work with).

Of course, that means that either the userland tools for Ubuntu Phone Linux are binary compatible with the Android kernel, or that the Android drivers are binary compatible with the Ubuntu kernel. Neither is a given, since it depends on compilers, patches, and a stable ABI.

I like my Windows 8 If I had a spate machine to mess around with I would run Linux. Always wanted to try it out but don't like doing the dual boot thing.

Basically I want the look of ubuntu on my phone, and the ability to use some more hardcore apps. I don't expect a full on version of linux on my phone.

The upcoming touch release of Ubuntu might be interesting for something like this.

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scield View Post
    I like my Windows 8 If I had a spate machine to mess around with I would run Linux. Always wanted to try it out but don't like doing the dual boot thing.
    Set up a virtual machine (by the way of VirtuaBox or VMware Player), and mess with Linux that way.