Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linux -- Who Dares Use It?

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, Gene Wolfe, Michael Crichton, Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, Douglas Presto

Linux -- Who Dares Use It?

Windows 8 sucks*. Linux is pretty neat**. I switched from Windows 8 to Linux a few weeks back and I love it. Ubuntu 12.10. Very functional, smooth, and so pretty. I know a lot of Linux power users despise Ubuntu and the Unity shell, but I like it.

So, who here uses Linux?

* Warning: Opinion
    ** Warning: Another Opinion

THE MR.E BIRD
    I tried using the latest Ubuntu in the past week and it's fucking stupid.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Useless for gaming, great for developing. This is why I dual-boot W7 & Ubuntu.

Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, Gene Wolfe, Michael Crichton, Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, Douglas Presto
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    Whoa, harsh. Tell me why you think that, if you will

Quote Originally Posted by Artful-dodgeR View Post
    Useless for gaming, great for developing. This is why I dual-boot W7 & Ubuntu.
    Oh, I'm not a PC gamer. At all. My laptop won't even properly play N64 roms.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I have Windows 8 and Ubunto on my laptopI like them both

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardKing View Post
    I have Windows 8 and Ubunto on my laptopI like them both
    Well, cool! I'm glad you're enjoying them.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Quote Originally Posted by HoFT013 View Post
    Whoa, harsh. Tell me why you think that, if you will.
    I'm mostly annoyed by the account security which Windows UAC could learn lessons in irritation from. It kept turning itself back on and eventually set a null password, which last night I discovered seems to break it. I thought Nerds would make better shit. Going to try a different Linux install when I get around to it. Also, this install is on a Netbook. Fuck ever getting rid of Windows on my main PC.

I used to use Linux as my main OS, most games ran well in WINE but I'm back to windows and waiting for steam for Linux beta access before I reinstall. Also, I hate unity, why didn't they just keep the GNOME shell for 12.04...

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I installed Fedora to get away from Vista in 2007 and ended up using several different distros across different machines until about a year ago. I don't know if Linux is as frightening as a lot of people think, ten years ago my girlfriend could hardly find her way around a browser, now she uses Ubuntu to make top quality graphics for her business.

Quote Originally Posted by HoFT013 View Post
    Oh, I'm not a PC gamer. At all. My laptop won't even properly play N64 roms.
    The last time I knew anything about system requirements was probably shortly after Half-Life 2 came out, but I'm sure there's heaps of great games out there that will run on basically anything, if that is something that you ever decide you are interested in. I was addicted to OpenArena instagib CTF for the longest time, it's actually the reason I'll still be working through my huge backlog of games when PS4 hits.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Linux Mint. Give it a whirl, I find it better than Ubuntu and very simple to get used to.

THE MR.E BIRD
    I have installers for two versions of mint and crunchbang ready for when I get back to tinkering with this. I have a busy week lined up so it may be a while.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I will have no choice when Snow Leopard is no longer supported, the Mac (well just it's OS) will then be sent to the knackers yard. So to keep somewhat secure i'll have the awful time of getting linux set up on it, weird considering they're both Unix based systems and it's harder to set up than it is on a Windows based PC.

May tinker with it early before the Snow Leopard is gunned to extinction.

It depends how you feel morally about piracy, there are less than legal methods of getting a "genuine" windows 7 copy that you could then install ubuntu through if the normal installer on your mac is a bitch.

I use Ubuntu as my main platform. it's pretty neat. I play metal slug via gngeo.

Since the steam linux beta is now open i've decided to give ubuntu 12.04 another chance, hopefuly i can put my hatred for unity past me and enjoy some games.

[Level 2: Human] LiquidSolstice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    I dislike how every time I'm about to post in a thread that you're involved in, you've already said exactly what I intended on saying >(

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noobspoon View Post
    Since the steam linux beta is now open i've decided to give ubuntu 12.04 another chance, hopefuly i can put my hatred for unity past me and enjoy some games.
    You don't need Unity to use Ubuntu. There's dozens of other window managers you can use, or you can just ditch it all and use Xubuntu, which most people prefer over Ubuntu these days.

[Level 2: Human] LiquidSolstice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noobspoon View Post
    It depends how you feel morally about piracy, there are less than legal methods of getting a "genuine" windows 7 copy that you could then install ubuntu through if the normal installer on your mac is a bitch.
    Legally, you could just fetch the Windows 7 ISOs from their official Digital River links (which are free and legally available with no key), install with no key, and then keep rearming the activation counter (also not illegal and very easy to do) to give you 180 days of uninterrupted usage, at which point all you have to do is backup your games and restore a "snapshot" you took when you first installed.

It's definitely morally in the gray but 100% legal to do.

THE MR.E BIRD
    This may be a dumb question but I've had no experience in doing so, but what's the deal on getting Windows Xp these days? Is it a requirement to pirate it, is it free or are the fascists still charging for it somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSolstice View Post
    I dislike how every time I'm about to post in a thread that you're involved in, you've already said exactly what I intended on saying >(
    Me too because then I gotta go repeat myself.

Earlier this week, the netbook didn't shut down properly or something and fucked itself up. OS wouldn't boot. I tried a few automatic fix things but to no avail. Then late I find my brother browsing the internet on it. I was annoyed because a) what the fuck does time heal this retard OS? and b) Oh god the security does fucking nothing to protect the one thing on this device that matters.

Fuck Linux.

Still responds to BLOO
    If you need help with linux, just go on a popular site and claim linux sucks because you cant find the solution to your problem.

Linux defenders will find you at least 5 different ways of getting what you need, but remember they will likely call you an idiot right after.

Don't bother asking for help outright, they'll just tell you to read some manual.