Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hitman: Absolution

Pwnd
    Hitman: Absolution’s checkpoint system has also come under some scrutiny, but a post by the same community manager suggests that this will not be altered. When asked if “the bonkers save/checkpoint system” would be receiving similar tweaks, the IO representative replied, “Yeah, that’s not going to happen. The checkpoint system was never meant to be a save system but, arguably, the communication of what it actually does could probably have been better.”
    Sounds like you're going to be waiting a while on that pony.

Pwnd
    That's not even meant to be a save system. That's where you reload from if you die, but I don't think it helps any if you shut the console down or exit to the menu. Blood Money had the same thing.

I think maybe there's a language barrier with the devs. There are tons of things in both games that are worded strangely. Like the thing on Purist difficulty where it tells you that instinct never regenerates? It regenerated when I played it. As in it would run out, then a few seconds later I had more. Noticed the same thing in the last game too, but can't think of any examples atm.

Pwnd
    I like the checkpoint system. I don't see a need to change it. What does need changing is the bug that wiped my save data.

Pwnd
    Lol. I hate how that happened but man. Next time I start a thread here I think I'll just get a job in tech support instead. If I'm gonna do nothing but field complaints and questions I might as well get paid for it.

I mean, let's not ride this community's dick and pretend that it's perfect just because we enjoy it. We should be able to enjoy something and also admit that it has flaws.

The save data issue does sound fixable however. That's a pretty serious problem and I'm sure it'll get patched. Sorry it ate your game bro.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Lol. I hate how that happened but man. Next time I start a thread here I think I'll just get a job in tech support instead. If I'm gonna do nothing but field complaints and questions I might as well get paid for it.

I mean, let's not ride this community's dick and pretend that it's perfect just because we enjoy it. We should be able to enjoy something and also admit that it has flaws.
    Well, to be fair, nobody asked you to field complaints of anything. I don't see why you saw it as your duty as the thread creator to defend the game or respond to some random jackass's thoughts of it on the internet. Why give IO that free labor in the first place? It's not like I get to hand out Game of the Year awards. I'm just some dude.

Pwnd
    Haha dude. It's not like you're some random jackass. I know I'm being a smartass in this thread but it would be really rude to just ignore your posts. I just want to be able to talk about what's good, man. I found a pretty cool subreddit for this game, and I appreciate their enthusiasm -- but at the same time it's not like I have anybody from Reddit on my friends list, and I damn sure wouldn't ride halfway across the country to hang out with those people.

I'm just rambling now, of course. Haven't properly woken up yet and need caffeine. Might as well post this now that I've typed it out though.

Pwnd
    One thing I do like in this game are the challenges. It gives an incentive to try out new shit. I restarted my game, but now I'm playing it out in an entirely different fashion. The detection tweak incoming also has me looking forward to buying the game now.

Pwnd
    Yeah, the detection is weird. I noticed what you were saying about the peripheral vision when I played Purist last night. There was a guy standing in a doorway and I was able to walk through that doorway with him in it, without him seeing me. This wasn't a one time thing either. It was right at the start of a level that got me killed several dozen times. It's weird that they'd have super vision in one case and damn near total blindness in another but the two are probably related somehow.

Also when you bust Mr. Dtoid over a guy's head, its toy robot arms glitch and stay floating in the air. Try it, it's hilarious. It's on that orphanage level where 47 is dressed as a priest.

Hippie level was funny.

Pwnd
    Oh dude, you know what blew my mind? There's a courthouse level later on where you can take the judge's outfit. Nobody will recognize you because there are no other judges. You can go to the trial of the guy who got busted for pot and dismiss the charges. Not. Even. Kidding.

More detail here, so you know the dismissal isn't of the Boondock Saints variety. I mean you literally have a context hint when you approach the desk with gavel in hand. "Press A to dismiss charges". 47 smacks the gavel and says "case dismissed". They included voices and animations for the crowd as well. The defendant starts cheering and saying he can't believe it, the DA is all like WTF -- it's brilliant. The little details in this game show what an act of love it truly is.
    Last edited by Sir Legendhead; 11-24-2012 at 01:49 AM.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    That is wow, oh god, I really want to play this game, I'll have to wait till next year, also I will take this opurtunity and play Hitman Blood Money for the first time, should I try and play Contracts (the 3rd game) as well? I've only played Hitman 2

Pwnd
    I'd say just hold out for the HD Collection coming out soon and play Absolution in the mean time. The HD Collection has Silent Assassin, Contracts, and Blood Money, and is rumored to be coming out within the next few months.

Pwnd
    This one and Blood Money are the best two, imo. And out of those two I like this one much better. Blood Money is still worth having though.

And I didn't know about the HD collection until just now. I'll probably get that because I never really gave the older ones a chance. I don't think the series hit its stride until Blood Money but they're still worth looking at again, I guess.

Bringer of Truth
    So the checkpoint thing, just a guess but does it make checkpoints where if you die you can restart from there, but if you quit you have to start the level over?

Well...yeah. The games have always been like that.

Pwnd
    If you complete half a level, kill a bunch of people, hit a checkpoint, and then reload to it afterwards, everybody in the stage will come back to life. It doesn't make sense, but it's not that big of a pain in the ass. It lets you retry the stage from a different starting point if you didn't like how things panned out.

Pwnd
    The ending bugged me at first but I like it more and more, the more I think about it.

At no point do they reveal 47's true motivation for rescuing the girl. Does he feel a bond with her or is he merely preventing a future threat? It's classic Roy Batty. You never know how human the synthetic man really is. Even in the end, when he
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    If you complete half a level, kill a bunch of people, hit a checkpoint, and then reload to it afterwards, everybody in the stage will come back to life. It doesn't make sense, but it's not that big of a pain in the ass. It lets you retry the stage from a different starting point if you didn't like how things panned out.
    That's a cool mechanic. Layout is everything in a stealth game.

Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    I'd say just hold out for the HD Collection coming out soon and play Absolution in the mean time. The HD Collection has Silent Assassin, Contracts, and Blood Money, and is rumored to be coming out within the next few months.
    Had no idea about that, but I'll probably play the original version, since I don't really mind the quality of the graphics of the Hitman series, oh and I prefer to play it on PC so yeah I don't think I'll pick the HD colletion, maybe for Contracts and replaying Hitman 2

Pwnd
    WAT. Somebody just sent me Lynch as a contract! From Kane and Lynch. His name is listed as such and you can tell it's him by looking. Tried to get a still frame for a picture but he gunned me down before that could happen. The contract name is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Should show up when you search.

Pwnd
    Double post because I just realized that the in-game search engine isn't optimized for keywords. I should also mention that these are for 360, of course -- I kinda wonder if they go cross platform though. Would be interesting if they did. Anyway, here are the previously mentioned contracts listed by ID.

The one with Lynch - 5-0810-691219-CAPT
    The one I made with the samurai gimmick - 5-2220-682459-LING

If anybody else wants to post theirs, feel free. I'll add them to the original post as I've done with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Double post because I just realized that the in-game search engine isn't optimized for keywords. I should also mention that these are for 360, of course -- I kinda wonder if they go cross platform though. Would be interesting if they did. Anyway, here are the previously mentioned contracts listed by ID.

The one with Lynch - 5-0810-691219-CAPT
    The one I made with the samurai gimmick - 5-2220-682459-LING

If anybody else wants to post theirs, feel free. I'll add them to the original post as I've done with these.
    From what I've seen of interviews and such the contracts are cross plataform, but I may be mistaken