Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hitman: Absolution

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    What makes matters worse is that the disguise system is irrevocably broken on any difficulty higher than normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Actually, the disguise system was broken in Blood Money.
    You ain't seen broken until you've played Hitman 2.

Holy shit. It was easier to go around as yourself because people figured you out from about half a block away. The Japanese castle and St. Petersburg were such a headache.

In one part, 47 kills one of his clones, and changes outfits. I say change, but all he does is have a different tie, and you can walk away without suspicion. Put on full winter soldier garb in the same scenario and the game was having none of that.

Pwnd
    Alright. So now that I have played the hardest difficulty, I can see why people are complaining so much. It's because Purist is fucking brutal. Enemies are damn near bullet-proof and forget trying to take one in a fistfight. However the intuition isn't completely removed even there. You have maybe one second to distract attention from your face and get away, after that you're spotted. I also noticed that distance is a factor. When they're down the hall they don't seem to notice, but if you walk around the corner and bump into someone it's pretty much an automatic failure. Alert stages matter too, obviously -- if they just found a body they're going to be more alert.

The lack of an HUD makes things even more difficult. At that point it's kind of impossible to know what state of alertness your enemies are in, unless you have a very deep understanding of the audio cues. At times you have barely a second to engage instinct, as signified by a screeching noise, like a razor blade being drawn over piano wire. You have to catch it in mid-screech to pass. I can totally see how people would hear that and think it means their disguise has already been blown, simply because it happens so fast.

So yeah, I don't plan on playing Purist until I've played the shit out of the rest of the game. And that's what it's there for, really. It's the mode for truly obsessive fans who will play until they've memorized every map, without becoming bored with the game itself. I'm glad they respected their players enough to give them such a challenge and it's too bad that the internet is clamoring like they are over it. Being able to note a game's flaws is great, for those who have a nearly pathological need to find them. It's just a shame that by the time these complaints are addressed, there's no room left in the conversation for anything else.

Also, Stevil, just saw your new post after typing the rest of this long, exhausting analysis...gah. Like anybody's gonna read this, right? Anyway I don't think I've played Hitman 2. If I have I must have hated it. I remember having played a couple different Hitman games before Blood Money and I didn't have the patience for either one.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Two questions:

1. Approximately how long is the game?

2. Does the "Contracts" made really add that much replay value?

Pwnd
    1. I didn't have a measuring tape handy but just from eyeing the disc, I'd say the length is about six inches. It's actually round though, so that's more a matter of circumference. The important thing is that it fits completely inside the tray. You wouldn't want to force it because then it might crack, and you'd have to join all the other weak-minded losers who complain about how broken their games are. Hoho see what I did there? The bolded part. Mmm that's good.

In other words, I wasn't really paying attention.

2. Like any other online functionality, its usefulness depends on that of the community.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Terrible.

Pwnd
    Iknorite? Lol. Hang on, I'll fire up ye old Box of X's and see what my completion time was.

Pwnd
    It says 14:43. I didn't take my time with it. Basically just ran through and shot everybody because I wanted to see how the story went. If you actually play stealthily it takes longer, obviously.

I also meant to get that little ---updated--- message here and it double posted instead. OMG these forums are so broke!
    Last edited by Sir Legendhead; 11-23-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: italicization and an exclamation point make bsns more srs

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    So many broken messages going on.
    Loved the description of the longevity of the game, but could you tell me how long it gets when you scrub it?

Pwnd
    The weird thing is, it got wet when I scrubbed it. And the brush I used wasn't even damp.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRemedy View Post
    So you're saying they wouldn't be able to spot someone who doesn't know anything about being a police officer, looks exactly like they guy they are hunting, and trying to not be noticed by hiding behind things?
    So they can spot you from across the map when you're dressed just like them, but if you're dressed as a street vendor in broad daylight with your bald head in plain sight, they can no longer recognize you as the person they're hunting--that's supposed to not be absurd? You can walk around in everyday clothes and not have the police bother you, but as soon as you dress like them, they know you're the guy they're looking for.

Similarly, guards can tell you're not a real guard even when you have a mask on, and I again have to pretend that this is not absurd?

It's absurd even if we point to other past absurdities. At least those past absurdities had the courtesy of not breaking the game on a difficulty higher than normal.

Pwnd
    I wonder if 47 makes people's intuition wonky because he's a clone. Like, you be looking at him, and he look like a normal dude, yet somehow you just know he's not even human. Plus he has a big ol' mutant head. Dude's eyebrows go all down into his cheekbones and shit. It's just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    So they can spot you from across the map when you're dressed just like them, but if you're dressed as a street vendor in broad daylight with your bald head in plain sight, they can no longer recognize you as the person they're hunting--that's supposed to not be absurd? You can walk around in everyday clothes and not have the police bother you, but as soon as you dress like them, they know you're the guy they're looking for.

Similarly, guards can tell you're not a real guard even when you have a mask on, and I again have to pretend that this is not absurd?

It's absurd even if we point to other past absurdities. At least those past absurdities had the courtesy of not breaking the game on a difficulty higher than normal.
    The game works, just not in the way you want it I guess. Some levels will have really strong disguises that can get you almost anywhere, but they all require the ability to use movement to your advantage. I think the disguises work fine, the right disguise will you get in easilly, and a not so good disguise will give you a bit more time to sneak.

Pwnd

Either this guy had eagle eyes transplanted into the side of his head, or something is seriously amiss with this system.

Full size link here, since I doubt any of us has the vision this dude has to see such a small figure in full detail: http://i.imgur.com/cpX0O.jpg?1

Oh, and the game decided to wipe my save today halfway through the campaign.

Oh no, his peripheral vision is too wide. Fuck this game 0/10.

Pwnd
    Peripheral vision? He's practically behind him. And 100 ft away. But it's not broken.

Let's not ride this game's dick and pretend that it's perfect just because we enjoy it. We should be able to enjoy something and also admit that it has flaws.

Because the inverse of pure negativity is also beneficial.

He hadn't caught you yet rev. You had time to move. Bitch.

Games fun.

- - - Updated - - -

How may of you guys are running this PS3?

Pwnd
    What a fun and enlightening conversation. Boy I'm glad I started this thread.

Pwnd
    IO announces that they are looking to tweak the detection on disguises.

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/11/io-...sguise-system/

Even the devs agree that the system needs fixing.

Pwnd
    Retake Absolution! Fuck yeah! Let's cry until they buy us all ponies.